Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Is there a difference of IQ between the larger race groups?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think so.

60 57.69%
  • No, I don't think so.

30 28.85%
  • Not sure.

14 13.46%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Race and IQ

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by DuPidh View Post
    The test taker I showed you on the video classified the boy as intellectually superior. Is IQ point system now the same like back then or different?
    With an IQ of 120, he would be considered to have superior intelligence. But even if he has Savant syndrome; it doesn't effect his IQ.

According to US News, he's as smart as Ulysses S. Grant.

As for the test I took, I don't have a clue. But 144 is considered high, for all of them. Nevertheless, I'm sure the scaling would be different by now.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-Y31616>FT435332
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U2e1d

Ethnic group
    Irish/Scottish/British

If some groups select for "brains", it makes sense that other groups might select for "brawn". Jews and Chinese honor "scholars", for instance, while Americans generally denigrate "eggheads" and "nerds". Such selections, however, have everything to do with the perception of socio-economic advantage, benefit, or value within a particular culture and are only, at best, incidentally correlated to race. Change the socio-economic reality and/or cultural context and what is selected for (or against) also likely changes.
    Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 30-08-18 at 23:22.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
    If some groups select for "brains", it makes sense that other groups might select for "brawn". Jews and Chinese honor "scholars", for instance, while Americans generally denigrate "eggheads" and "nerds". Such selections, however, have everything to do with the perception of socio-economic advantage, benefit, or value within a particular culture and are only, at best, incidentally correlated to race. Change the socio-economic reality and/or cultural context and what is selected for (or against) also likely changes.
    I feel as though selecting for brawn is a losing strategy, especially after the invention of powerful projectile weapons.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I feel as though selecting for brawn is a losing strategy, especially after the invention of powerful projectile weapons.
    But when it comes to sexual potential? Clearly those who are physically fit have better mating success and are more likely to produce healthy offspring.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    But when it comes to sexual potential? Clearly those who are physically fit have better mating success and are more likely to produce healthy offspring.
    I would argue that smarter people make smarter choices, in terms of health. I don't think it has to be all or nothing between brains and brawn. People with higher order thinking professions, also tend to be healthier, and more physically active anyway.

Also:

Nevertheless, the researchers say, the results suggest that brighter people don't just live longer because they make healthier choices, or make more money that affords them better health care. Rather, they live longer because their genetic makeup favors both smarts and a long life.

"We found that the small relationship between intelligence and life span was almost all genetic," said study researcher Rosalind Arden, a research associate at the London School of Economics and Political Science. [Extending Life: 7 Ways to Live Past 100]

https://www.livescience.com/51829-sm...ve-longer.html

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I would argue that smarter people make smarter choices, in terms of health. I don't think it has to be all or nothing between brains and brawn. People with higher order thinking professions, also tend to be healthier, and more physically active anyway.

Also:
    Right, I agree that it's not one or the other.

But if I had to pick one over the other as sexually ideal, it would be brawn. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows people I find very physically attractive, due to the more subconscious instincts we're programmed to have in response to certain physical features, yet I find to be absolute morons.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Right, I agree that it's not one or the other.

But if I had to pick one over the other as sexually ideal, it would be brawn. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows people I find very physically attractive, due to the more subconscious instincts we're programmed to have in response to certain physical features, yet I find to be absolute morons.
    de gustibus non est disputandum

There is no disputing about taste.

Sexual attraction is a very complex thing. I think many people initially are attracted by the physical, but in terms of relationship-longevity, they would probably need to be mentally stimulating as well. Otherwise, they may end up as just a fling, and contraception allows for protection against procreating with a less-than desirable mate that doesn't check all the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Again look at Asia, The biggest centers of civilizations were not at North. The only exceptions are Mongols for few hundreds of years.

Europe though located at North has quite mild climate compared to same latitudes in America or Asia. Probably the most important thing is that European climate is quite stable and same every year, a great base for agriculture. The are no extended droughts, locusts, floods the disasters people experience in Africa.
    We're not talking about building the first cities. Obviously, agriculture, and thus cities, need a mild climate to develop. But that doesn't disprove the point that Northern people need to be smarter and much more collaborative(therefore calm and peaceful among them selves) if they want to survive.
    History has proven that Rome, China, India, Egypt, Mesopotamia... They all developed first, but when Northern Europeans developed, they added a whole new level of development to the world.
    Also Northern Europeans have higher IQ than Southerners. Same for Northern and Southern East Asians. Not to talk about Africans

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z36

Quote Originally Posted by Mmiikkii View Post
    We're not talking about building the first cities. Obviously, agriculture, and thus cities, need a mild climate to develop. But that doesn't disprove the point that Northern people need to be smarter and much more collaborative(therefore calm and peaceful among them selves) if they want to survive.
    History has proven that Rome, China, India, Egypt, Mesopotamia... They all developed first, but when Northern Europeans developed, they added a whole new level of development to the world.
    Also Northern Europeans have higher IQ than Southerners. Same for Northern and Southern East Asians. Not to talk about Africans
    Some sources give Italy an IQ of 102 which is higher than in some northern countries.

I don't think the Volkerwanderund and Viking periods, for example, showed North Europeans as a particularly calm group.

I don't see the point in this kind of discussions.
    Afaik no gene has ever been found to be correlated with IQ.

And there is the question whether IQ tests don't favour people with certain cultural/educational backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Same in USA. If they want to compare the IQ of white Americans and black Americans they shouldn't take samples from the ones living in ghettos because the majority is not educated. That is the only way to really see if race and IQ are related...
    Since I was a child, before I was educated, I already had interest for books and knowledge. Many other kids, don't.
    Who says IQ comes after education?
    Everybody receives the same education, but many fail within the same school.

Ethnic group
    Greek

Whatever race(or culture) creates the IQ tests has the highest IQ because they make them such that
    members of their own race excell at it compared to the others

Absolutely NOT.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213