Race and IQ

Is there a difference of IQ between the larger race groups?

• Yes, I think so.

Votes: 64 58.7%
  • No, I don't think so.

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 14 12.8%

• Total voters
The test taker I showed you on the video classified the boy as intellectually superior. Is IQ point system now the same like back then or different?

With an IQ of 120, he would be considered to have superior intelligence. But even if he has Savant syndrome; it doesn't effect his IQ.

According to US News, he's as smart as Ulysses S. Grant.

As for the test I took, I don't have a clue. But 144 is considered high, for all of them. Nevertheless, I'm sure the scaling would be different by now.

If some groups select for "brains", it makes sense that other groups might select for "brawn". Jews and Chinese honor "scholars", for instance, while Americans generally denigrate "eggheads" and "nerds". Such selections, however, have everything to do with the perception of socio-economic advantage, benefit, or value within a particular culture and are only, at best, incidentally correlated to race. Change the socio-economic reality and/or cultural context and what is selected for (or against) also likely changes.

Last edited:
If some groups select for "brains", it makes sense that other groups might select for "brawn". Jews and Chinese honor "scholars", for instance, while Americans generally denigrate "eggheads" and "nerds". Such selections, however, have everything to do with the perception of socio-economic advantage, benefit, or value within a particular culture and are only, at best, incidentally correlated to race. Change the socio-economic reality and/or cultural context and what is selected for (or against) also likely changes.

I feel as though selecting for brawn is a losing strategy, especially after the invention of powerful projectile weapons.

I feel as though selecting for brawn is a losing strategy, especially after the invention of powerful projectile weapons.

But when it comes to sexual potential? Clearly those who are physically fit have better mating success and are more likely to produce healthy offspring.

But when it comes to sexual potential? Clearly those who are physically fit have better mating success and are more likely to produce healthy offspring.

I would argue that smarter people make smarter choices, in terms of health. I don't think it has to be all or nothing between brains and brawn. People with higher order thinking professions, also tend to be healthier, and more physically active anyway.

Also:

Nevertheless, the researchers say, the results suggest that brighter people don't just live longer because they make healthier choices, or make more money that affords them better health care. Rather, they live longer because their genetic makeup favors both smarts and a long life.

"We found that the small relationship between intelligence and life span was almost all genetic," said study researcher Rosalind Arden, a research associate at the London School of Economics and Political Science. [Extending Life: 7 Ways to Live Past 100]

https://www.livescience.com/51829-smart-people-live-longer.html

I would argue that smarter people make smarter choices, in terms of health. I don't think it has to be all or nothing between brains and brawn. People with higher order thinking professions, also tend to be healthier, and more physically active anyway.

Also:

Right, I agree that it's not one or the other.

But if I had to pick one over the other as sexually ideal, it would be brawn. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows people I find very physically attractive, due to the more subconscious instincts we're programmed to have in response to certain physical features, yet I find to be absolute morons.

Right, I agree that it's not one or the other.

But if I had to pick one over the other as sexually ideal, it would be brawn. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows people I find very physically attractive, due to the more subconscious instincts we're programmed to have in response to certain physical features, yet I find to be absolute morons.

de gustibus non est disputandum

There is no disputing about taste.

Sexual attraction is a very complex thing. I think many people initially are attracted by the physical, but in terms of relationship-longevity, they would probably need to be mentally stimulating as well. Otherwise, they may end up as just a fling, and contraception allows for protection against procreating with a less-than desirable mate that doesn't check all the boxes.

Again look at Asia, The biggest centers of civilizations were not at North. The only exceptions are Mongols for few hundreds of years.

Europe though located at North has quite mild climate compared to same latitudes in America or Asia. Probably the most important thing is that European climate is quite stable and same every year, a great base for agriculture. The are no extended droughts, locusts, floods the disasters people experience in Africa.

We're not talking about building the first cities. Obviously, agriculture, and thus cities, need a mild climate to develop. But that doesn't disprove the point that Northern people need to be smarter and much more collaborative(therefore calm and peaceful among them selves) if they want to survive.
History has proven that Rome, China, India, Egypt, Mesopotamia... They all developed first, but when Northern Europeans developed, they added a whole new level of development to the world.
Also Northern Europeans have higher IQ than Southerners. Same for Northern and Southern East Asians. Not to talk about Africans

We're not talking about building the first cities. Obviously, agriculture, and thus cities, need a mild climate to develop. But that doesn't disprove the point that Northern people need to be smarter and much more collaborative(therefore calm and peaceful among them selves) if they want to survive.
History has proven that Rome, China, India, Egypt, Mesopotamia... They all developed first, but when Northern Europeans developed, they added a whole new level of development to the world.
Also Northern Europeans have higher IQ than Southerners. Same for Northern and Southern East Asians. Not to talk about Africans

Some sources give Italy an IQ of 102 which is higher than in some northern countries.

I don't think the Volkerwanderund and Viking periods, for example, showed North Europeans as a particularly calm group.

I don't see the point in this kind of discussions.
Afaik no gene has ever been found to be correlated with IQ.

And there is the question whether IQ tests don't favour people with certain cultural/educational backgrounds.

Same in USA. If they want to compare the IQ of white Americans and black Americans they shouldn't take samples from the ones living in ghettos because the majority is not educated. That is the only way to really see if race and IQ are related...

Since I was a child, before I was educated, I already had interest for books and knowledge. Many other kids, don't.
Who says IQ comes after education?
Everybody receives the same education, but many fail within the same school.

Whatever race(or culture) creates the IQ tests has the highest IQ because they make them such that
members of their own race excell at it compared to the others

There will always be a difference in IQ *scores* though I think it gets murky when talking about "deep" intelligence.

Via as-yet-unknown mechanisms, I believe different groups are simply specialized in working with different kinds of information in the world. Like an array of same-model computers--only each with different input devices. Processor does similar work, but to the outside world seemingly different duties are being performed.

I don't see the point in this kind of discussions.
Afaik no gene has ever been found to be correlated with IQ.

And there is the question whether IQ tests don't favour people with certain cultural/educational backgrounds.

I don't see the point in this comment.
Would you suggest that American standards are designed to favor Massachusetts while failing California?

Do you think there is a difference in IQ between the races?

I know this is a contraversial subject, but an interesting one.

Is IQ a valid measure of intelligence?

Do social and political problems in other parts of the world boil down to a races lower mental capacity?

One clear indication of genetic difference between the larger race groups would be the olympics. People of african heritage out perform all races when it comes to physical prformance, sprinting and boxing are clear examples. So if this can be agreed upon that in a physical sense there is a clear difference is the brain not a physical part of the body? Why then shouldn't the brains performance vary between racial groups?

I've read both sides of the arguement, and I'm still not sure. Western societeis like to pretend all men are equal but we know that doesn't really work in real life, and to acknowledge such a variation would lead to huge rifts in society.

I would make it clear I have no racist agenda here, mearly to open a debate on peoples views on the subject.

For the record:
Isn't the term "race" a poorly chosen one for members of a genetics forum?
A race is a categorization of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into groups generally viewed as distinct within a given society.[1] The term was first used to refer to speakers of a common language, and then to denote national affiliations. By the 17th century, the term began to refer to physical (phenotypical) traits. Modern science regards race as a social construct, an identity which is assigned based on rules made by society.[2] While partly based on physical similarities within groups, race does not have an inherent physical or biological meaning.[1][3][4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)

This thread has been viewed 128489 times.

Back