haplogroup L, the rarest in Europe

I would guess you most likely got your L from Neolithic Farmers from Antolia and the Causcas. haplogroup L is acutually most common in Far Northern Italy Espically in Trentino and in one study from people in Fascia which is Northeastern Trentino (2013) showed a high 19.2% these people identify with the Ladin people and probably have one of the highest if not highest frequency of L in Europe if where your paternal ancesters come from is near or in regions where Romansh or other Italic laguages are found i would not be suprised

I would guess you most likely got your L from Neolithic Farmers from Antolia and the Causcas. haplogroup L is acutually most common in Far Northern Italy Espically in Trentino and in one study from people in Fascia which is Northeastern Trentino (2013) showed a high 19.2% these people identify with the Ladin people and probably have one of the highest if not highest frequency of L in Europe if where your paternal ancesters come from is near or in regions where Romansh or other Italic laguages are found i would not be suprised
I have a match Mtdna from Arten, Belluno, Veneto , Italy whose is L-M20 ydna ..........surname Toigo

Venice is around 10% and also has one the highest frequencies in Europe in most of Europe its is between 0-5%

So what population do you think brought your L into the SouthEast of England

Haha theres no way exiled Elamites reached western europe, these people migrated before the bronze age with other early european farmers

one possible roman period source for Y 'L' in the UK, could be from the East Anglian area, the Norfolk,Suffolk Essex area's. These area,s were earlier known as retirement area's for Legionaries etc who had completed their 25yrs service, this would support post #42.

This is very interesting. I am an blond blue eyed American of Swiss ancestry who is L2a who can trace his family back to Rudi Gutten in the 13 hundreds in Switzerland. This is a long way from India but perhaps my family were Phoenicians.

Your Y DNA is now most probably L-M374 a subclad of L-M349 or L1b1b~

Kind regards!

L was indus valley

Hi Saskia. mtDNA is a very small component of whole DNA, way below 1%. If your African ancestor great, great..grandmother lived 7 generations ago, you will have sub 1% of her total DNA input, but sometimes nothing at all, except mtDNA. Going back in time, by seventh generation, you had 128 ancestors and inherited small parts of DNA from almost all of them. Ancestry from before 150-200 years ago are disappearing very quickly from DNA. Just traces of them left.

Yes but I can still see how it would be disappointing if your male ancestor came from a different culture or race than the one you identify with.

Yes but I can still see how it would be disappointing if your male ancestor came from a different culture or race than the one you identify with.

I don’t think so, Haplogroups don’t necessarily impact someone’s race, culture, or ethnicity,

Haplogroups are ancient and full of clades / mutations and all over periodic migrations.

L and T are brothers, and guess what:

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/25803-Y-dna-haplogroup-T?p=609092&viewfull=1#post609092

I agree. Each ethnicity in the past or in the present is composed from more haplogroup carriers. And people from one haplogroup may belong to different ethnicity and/or nationality. L haplogroup in “Central Europe” is not different, it is spread all around. But definitely it is not only one pass how it arrived in places where it is now. It may span from early agriculture settlers, early metallurgy experts, maybe as Roman auxiliary military units from now days Syria, Alans as part of Sarmates, up to much later arrival as consequences of Crusader wars and Turkish expansion.
Salento,
Thanks for useful suggestion on L and T connection.

Culture =/= Nature.

So what population do you think brought your L into the SouthEast of England
After several years of thinking on this, my favourite hypothesis is a medieval Asian sailor leaving his DNA in a South coast port such as Southampton.

There are two families in southern England that share the same L. During C18 the two surname lines were only 34 miles apart in the area of Berkshire. My surname most likely originated in Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire where it was most common during C16. The south ports along the channel just look likely to be the arrival point. At some point the DNA entered at least two surname lines.

No other L samples in Europe are particularly close to ours. The nearest so far are from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Goa, and Lebanon. Str dating and distribution might suggest it arrived in England sometime between 2000 and 500 years ago.

Of course it could be a Syrian archer in the Roman period, a Byzantine craftsman, an extinct Sephardic line, a Christian or Parsi refugee etc. So many possibilities. But I am always sensitive to the fact that most history only reflects the movements of the rich and powerful. That most individual stories are unrecorded. So I like the idea of a medieval sailor from somewhere in SW Asia moving between ships and ending up leaving a son in an English port.

I believe haplogroup like L,H,T,play a major part of history in 5000 years ago,but now lost

I believe haplogroup like L,H,T,play a major part of history in 5000 years ago,but now lost
Well some related Y-DNA HG L may, just may, have passed through the Indus Valley Civilisation. It could have travelled with the Iranian Neolithic Farmers.

After several years of thinking on this, my favourite hypothesis is a medieval Asian sailor leaving his DNA in a South coast port such as Southampton.

There are two families in southern England that share the same L. During C18 the two surname lines were only 34 miles apart in the area of Berkshire. My surname most likely originated in Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire where it was most common during C16. The south ports along the channel just look likely to be the arrival point. At some point the DNA entered at least two surname lines.

No other L samples in Europe are particularly close to ours. The nearest so far are from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Goa, and Lebanon. Str dating and distribution might suggest it arrived in England sometime between 2000 and 500 years ago.

Of course it could be a Syrian archer in the Roman period, a Byzantine craftsman, an extinct Sephardic line, a Christian or Parsi refugee etc. So many possibilities. But I am always sensitive to the fact that most history only reflects the movements of the rich and powerful. That most individual stories are unrecorded. So I like the idea of a medieval sailor from somewhere in SW Asia moving between ships and ending up leaving a son in an English port.
L-M317 isn't particularly 'South Asian', it's definitely West Asian in origin and has been found in Bronze age remains. For your particular case I would guess it's something from Roman times that made way to France, and from there onto Sussex in England in the later medieval period.

France is definitely the link to many 'West Asian' haplogroups appearing in England, but it's badly sampled. What are your thoughts?

This thread has been viewed 97497 times.

Back