Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I have been to Italy just once

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Never been there, but intend to

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Never been there and don't plan to

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
I love Italy. I left my heart there so I have to go back and claim it, it's probably at the baggage claim in Fiumicino. I've been to Milan, Turin, Verona, Venice, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento, Almalfi/Maiori and Campobasso. My family are from the commune of Ferrazzano of Campobasso, though, I am from NY. Molise has a very interesting history with the Samnites and Lombards. I really hope there will be more studies on Samnite culture. I hear a lot of negative things about Naples and the south generally speaking but I must say that Naples and the people from the mezzogiorno are some of the nicest and beautiful I've met. Naples is a jungle for sure, but it gets a bad rap. I like it's attitude and chaos. I can't say any city is overrated in Italy simply because I come from a small town that has the aesthetic beauty of an abandoned warehouse and charm of a cold sore.

Next time, give Liguria a try, Auld Reekie. (What does that name mean, btw?) There are the beautiful resort towns like Portofino and Santa Margherita, and the Cinque Terre, and Lerici as well, but you should visit Genova too, especially if you can appreciate the sometimes raffish charm of port cities. Genova is as unique in its way as Venezia.

The lakes, especially Como, are also beautiful, and you could spend a month and more just exploring the towns of Toscana and Umbria.

You'll thank me for it, everyone always does...:)

I will go there next, actually I'm leaving for Italy soon. I hope to spend a lot of time in Liguria. I did stop through Bordighera for lunch once. Is that where you're from? I'm planning to go to Sienna to see the Palio and hopscotch all over Italy and hope to see Sardinia and Sicily as well. Also, Auld Reekie is an old name for Edinburgh. It means 'old smoke' and some attribute it to 'smell'. I've read you could smell Edinburgh before actually seeing it back in the 17th-18th centuries. I thought it was a charming name, not that I smell...I hope. :)

I will go there next, actually I'm leaving for Italy soon. I hope to spend a lot of time in Liguria. I did stop through Bordighera for lunch once. Is that where you're from? I'm planning to go to Sienna to see the Palio and hopscotch all over Italy and hope to see Sardinia and Sicily as well. Also, Auld Reekie is an old name for Edinburgh. It means 'old smoke' and some attribute it to 'smell'. I've read you could smell Edinburgh before actually seeing it back in the 17th-18th centuries. I thought it was a charming name, not that I smell...I hope. :)

I'm to leave very soon to spend the summer there myself. :) I'm sure I'll be in Genova at one point or another, but home base is further east, near the Cinque Terre (great for hiking btw) and Lerici. It's an easy cross over to Sardinia from there. If you're going to be in Toscana, take the opportunity to see some of the smaller towns, or cross over into Umbria. Cortona is lovely, and you might like Perugia as well...it's a big student town because of the University for Foreigners there.

I'm aching to be back! Maybe we'll cross paths and won't even know it haha :) I was going to ask a question on Italian authors but I'll post it separately later on a different thread before I ramble on.

I traveled almost over all Italy and I am liked it very much. I was especially impressed with Rome, Venice and Sicily. I highly recommend a visit to Italy and getting to know its history, culture and gastronomy, you will not remain indifferent, I assure you.

I agree that it is most beautiful country in Europe... I would say it is self-contained civilization

I agree that it is most beautiful country in Europe... I would say it is self-contained civilization

I find it difficult to say the most beautiful as so many regions have so much beauty in their own way all over the continent and I am sure that there are so many that deserves visiting. What I can say is recently i had the opportunity to travel by car between Rome Bari and Naples and the landscape is breath taking especially in the mountain areas.

Never went to Italy and my travel days are over,health issues, so I just watch Youtube for videos about Italy and all sorts of websites about Italy.

Mum's cousin owns a house near Turin [was originally in Arezzo], a close friend is Sicilian, and another friend lives in Florence. I've been to Italy a couple times over the years.

Going to Rome for the 3rd time soon

Been to Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples. Would like to go back to Rome and go to Sicily next time. So much history and beauty!

I haven't been To Italy but plan on visiting in the upcoming month, sound like a great trip.

Yes, my first visit was to Rome, in 1971. I was 18 with a very healthy appetite and thought the food was divine! Especially Spaghetti Amatriciana, my favourite. Although it never tastes good when I eat it here in Britain.
I visited Rome again in the 70's and that time we also stayed for a few nights at Picinisco, in the province of Frosinone. Beautiful mountain country, evening walks in October were a delight. I agree with former posts about the mountain people being introverts, although they were very pleasant and accommodating and also - something very strong and intriguing about them.
In the 90's I visited Naples, Sorrento and Positano. Also beautiful, but very crowded at the time we went.
I don't travel now due to medical reasons, but I would have loved to explore the north of the country.

I have been to Italy just once. I visited Firenze last year.

No, but I want to visit. Maybe even live there for a little bit if I like it.

Well, I was there as a kid with my family , we drove through the country and took a boat from Bari to Albania so I dont remember much. And dont consider it experiencing the country itself.

I've been to Italy once; it was very pleasant riding through the beautiful countryside. We stopped in Venezia, Bologna (where I had the best pizza ever), Firenze and Rome. I think my favourite place was Venezia. It's so lovely and the atmosphere is special, quite poetic and melancholic. I would also say a bit gloomy, but I think it's just because I'm influenced by horrific movies such as The Comfort of Strangers and Don't look now, which are set in Venezia.
My Mother went on a cruise around Sicily years ago. She didn't see much of it since they were at sea most of the time, but it was a wonderful journey.
I'd love to visit the Gulf of Napoli (esp. Pompei), the Amalfi coast, as well as Procida and Capri.

Last edited:
I've been to Italy once, I traveled by motorbike with a friend (=> I was just a passenger :)); it was very pleasant riding through the beautiful countryside. We stopped in Venezia, Bologna (where I had the best pizza ever), Firenze and Rome. I think my favourite place was Venezia. It's so lovely and the atmosphere is special, quite poetic and melancholic. I would also say a bit gloomy, but I think it's just because I'm influenced by horrific movies such as The Comfort of Strangers and Don't look now, which are set in Venezia.
My Mother went on a cruise around Sicily years ago. She didn't see much of it since they were at sea most of the time, but it was a wonderful journey.
I'd love to visit the Gulf of Napoli (esp. Pompei), the Amalfi coast, as well as Procida and Capri.

They're all spectacular. I've said before that if I got a terrible health diagnosis, I'd want to spend my last days in Ravello so I could go the gardens of the Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo every day. Of course, it would be even better if I could buy the Villa Cimbrone and ban all weddings there for the duration. :)
Villa Cimbrone:
amalfi-villa_cimbrone_gardens-1112x630.jpg

8_d.20170629120653.jpg

search

The Infinity Terrace:

terrace-of-infinity-ravello.jpg

What I like particularly is that the promontory upon which the gardens sit, and a few nice little restaurants and small hotels too, is that it's a fifteen minute walk from the village. No exceptions: no cars, motos, nothing. That's why it's so peaceful.

We have some threads on the entire area. This is one of them:
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...Amalfi-coast-and-Capri?highlight=Amalfi+Coast

search

search

This thread has been viewed 59841 times.

Back