With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

Literal ancestors in the begging of the historical era(500 BC) would be probably be; Britons, Germans, Celts, and Iberians. Ancient DNA from the earliest attest people groups might surprise us though.

For example as far as I know the first DNA from Eastern German speakers looks similar to HungaryBA not Bronze age Scandinavians. We have an idea what ancient Greeks and Romans were like but we might really surprised when we actually get their DNA.

I've got a feeling Iberians didn't have a lot of the NW African and Near Eastern stuff modern Spanish have. And that French have a dose of Mediterranean and lots of German admixture which the Celts didn't have.

We have an idea what ancient Greeks and Romans were like but we might really surprised when we actually get their DNA.

Which is why I added my edit; the term Roman is dubious. Nevertheless, the component for Italian/Southern European describes a population that have been there since prehistoric times. That is who I truly identify with. If you mean the original tribe of Latins, its possible they had a different admixture at the time. Most likely, they intermixed more with the population at large over time. In addition to contributions from places outside of Italy. For example, the other 10% of my autosomal DNA. After Italy was unified by the Romans, and the Social war ended, they went on to conquer other great empires. I'd say, by 270 BC is when most Italians could claim Roman ancestry.

mwuEGOP.gif

W2nGwHs.png

O6o39qf.jpg

Last edited:
Romans didn't just meant from the City of Rome.
By the time of Julius Caesar:
Traditionally the River Rubicon, marked the beginning of the Local Roman State Territory (some also say Italy), all the way down to Calabria.

How does one answer this question? lol Idk what to say. I cant really tell what my genetics would reflect, but ancestrally speaking, given the area, anything between roman greek thracian slavic and whatever else invader went through there. Guess theres no way to really know for certain.

Prehistoric Neolithic farmers and huntrer-gatherers. We are all "cave-men".

I can't wait till someone sequences ancient Minoan, Etruscan, Mycenaean-Greek, and Roman DNA. I'm confident at least one of them will be quite different from modern people in their region. David Wesolowski thinks the Etruscans were immigrants from Anatolia and similar to Anatolian Bronze age genomes.

A good collection of both ancient Egyptian and Minoan mtDNA has already been published. The two were very different. The Egyptian mtDNA is arch-typical SouthWest Asian. Minoan mtDNA doesn't carry any typical Middle Eastern haplogroups. I have a feeling Minoans were for the most part EEF.

Adsız.jpg

There is no way for me to select one or two ancient civilisation. I am all :grin:

I'm Belgian and don't have a single idea. What ancient ethnicities are 'possible' in 4+ generations Belgians, from historical Flanders?

I'm Belgian and don't have a single idea. What ancient ethnicities are 'possible' in 4+ generations Belgians, from historical Flanders?

Long list of Celtic and Germanic tribes.

98% Celto-Germanic and 2% West Slavic.

The Belgians came from the Belgae and various Germanic tribes anciently. It's always good to look at the history of Belgium, any ancient civilization that lived in your country is your ancestor to some degree. ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belgium

I can't wait till someone sequences ancient Minoan, Etruscan, Mycenaean-Greek, and Roman DNA. I'm confident at least one of them will be quite different from modern people in their region.

Would it really help? Most of Etruscan bones come from elite burials, that hardly represent the whole population. Without forgetting that Etruscan elites likely married with foreigners, also for reasons of political alliances. There are many examples. The first King Etruscan of Rome, Lucius Tarquinius Priscus, was of Greek father (from Corinth). Or, for example, going back in time, in a tomb of Vulci in northern Lazio (9th century AD), it is thought that there are the remains of women of Sardinian origin (Nuragic) who belonged to a priestly caste who had its presence in the Etruscan territory.

and as stated by Ghirotto there is a problem not easy to solve with the pre-Etruscan dwellers

"As for the Etruscans’ origins, ancient DNA is of little use, because pre-Etruscan dwellers of Central Italy, of the Villanovan culture, cremated their dead, and hence their genetic features are unknown."

It's a more complex issue than some GEDMatch calculator, nMonte/D-stats/qpadm etc etc, tools that now everyone knows how to use. But how many people know how to use these tools in a really conscious and appropriate way?

David Wesolowski thinks the Etruscans were immigrants from Anatolia and similar to Anatolian Bronze age genomes.

What an original thought. Is it entirely his idea? I'm really impressed.

Y'all European diversity if very small, ergo we are brothers and sisters.

Y'all European diversity if very small, ergo we are brothers and sisters.

Very true, as a recent paper showed, but that seems to be an unpopular idea with some people.

You say this as if it is something really impressive. Chill out bruv, there are so many cool people around.

A 100% Indoeuropean here. :)

You say this as if it is something really impressive. Chill out bruv, there are so many cool people around.

It's also total nonsense. There are no Europeans who are more than 50% "Indo-European". So, it's self-delusion as well as racism.

It's also total nonsense. There are no Europeans who are more than 50% "Indo-European". So, it's self-delusion as well as racism.

So you just developed a new definition of racsim.
Your judging by race is not racism, but mine by provenance is.
Interesting twisting of concepts. Results have to be devastating.

Interesting also here is, that people can write Byzantine or
Roman, (what is actualy a false at present day) but saying
IE is a racism (even if is true)... really interesting, leftic mind
will probably never stop to surprized me...

So you just developed a new definition of racsim.
Your judging by race is not racism, but mine by provenance is.
Interesting twisting of concepts. Results have to be devastating.

Interesting also here is, that people can write Byzantine or
Roman, (what is actualy a false at present day) but saying
IE is a racism (even if is true)... really interesting, leftic mind
will probably never stop to surprized me...

First of all, you're delusional. As I said, no European is more than 50% "Indo-European" in terms of genetics. Therefore, neither are you.

Second of all, to think that one "ethnic" group is superior to all others is not only delusional, it's racist. Ergo...

Third of all, no Italian I've ever met walks around claiming to be 100% pure "Roman", whatever that even means. Likewise, no Greeks claim to be 100% Byzantine. You're the only one making such absurd claims about being a clone of an ancient population. We're smarter and more educated about genetics and European history to do that.

Fourth of all, I'm far from being a leftist, but you wouldn't understand that, because like most Europeans you don't understand the American political system at all, so you haven't read all the "clues". I'm just not a racist. Only in Europe are right wing people often racist. It's not the case here, which is why European analyses of America and American politicians are so often dead wrong.

Before I tested my DNA, I had taken an informal survey of surnames in my genealogical tree to determine basic - and highly unscientific - percentages of origins. As an American of early colonial European descendants - some ancestors came to Jamestown in 1610 - I'd figured most of my heritage as English, Scottish, Scotch-Irish, Irish, Welsh, some German, German Swiss, and Dutch as well. The rough survey gave me the same results, in descending percentages: English, Scottish/Scotch-Irish & German/German Swiss, Welsh, and Irish, Finnish, Dutch, and French, in that order.

DNA testing basically told the same tale, with some important differences: I also have some 1.5-2.0% each of West African and Amerindian DNA in my makeup. So I am very much an American Creole, to use that term so associated with colonial populations. My Indo-European y-DNA haplogroup helps solidify my paternal German line, and my mother's mtDNA haplogroup is of a German origin in my case, too. My own surname is spelled in the English manner - Moore - rather than the German manner - Mohr - used in the ship's manifest in Philadelphia in 1751. I guess that was thanks to King George II's port authority there, but who knows at this point. Perhaps it was a nod to a common "American" spelling of the name since it is pronounced basically the same way in both languages.

Anyway, as to ancient peoples/cultures with which I feel an affinity, I guess my choices would be Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, and Germanic cultures. And I am currently trying to learn more about my West African and Amerindian ancestry, and how to apply that to my everyday life.

Very true, as a recent paper showed, but that seems to be an unpopular idea with some people.

My mind is totally blown. Which paper was this? I've never seen a Greek plot near a Latvian on a pca.

This thread has been viewed 294049 times.

Back