With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

^Duarte being a Brazilian you could consider the possibility of Italian ancestry, do you know anything about your genealogy?

There may be several reasons for that, the most common is a lack of reference samples that match your genome. With the exception of Huelva and Aragón, you do not show relevant similarity with other areas. Historically the regions of southern Spain were repopulated by those of the northwest.

@Dou
^^ I consider myself Portuguese-Brazilian. But Belo Horizonte is a young city, only 128 years old, and was built and occupied by immigrants. So, no hypothesis can be ruled out, LOL. Below, an excerpt from English Wikipedia on BH. This is how we affectionately refer to our city:

“Belo Horizonte has a notable Italian influence; around 30% of the city's population have some Italian origin.The Italian culture is present in the cuisine, dance, and language. People of German, Spanish, and Syrian-Lebanese ancestries also make up sizeable groups”

EDIT: Wrong quote. The answer was addressed to @Carlos, when the correct would be address the answer to @Dou. Sorry me Dou and Carlos;)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Last edited:
With your permission. I have never met an Asturian. Imagine like this without putting the names of the countries or anything, and with the Atlas on my knees the territories are better.
d%25C3%25BAomape.jpg

arag%25C3%25B3n.jpeg

nMontes3Oracle.jpeg

Ok I have the other nMontes with a 56 from Huelva, taking out France and Italy, but why do I have to take out France and Italy. My grandmother would not have told me, I have no one in Huelva, but well that nothing happens if it is for the delighted tartessos.

I was thinking about the uniform tone in my gray map in comparison, it is as if in Andalusia the group of Spaniards more or less had mixed very well, somewhat stronger Aragón and Huelva but there is a certain uniformity than in the map of the partner where there is more contrast . That or that I am an alien, I prefer my hypothesis.

Man most calculators give me these results:

dISCOv215.jpeg

EUtest.jpeg

Eutest2.jpeg

k7.jpeg

k9.jpeg

k13disco.jpeg

k16jpeg.jpg

k36.jpeg

k142.jpeg

K47.JPEG

k362jpeg.jpg

K472JPEG.jpg

MDLPK27.JPEG

modern.jpeg

PCAmodernFEBRERO2020.JPEG

It seems that later to the north of Spain. Missing many samples of Iberia, it seems that there are only Visigoths in Girona, Celtiberians, Turdetans, more stutters And maybe expand studies and perform more DNA tests in modern populations.

Last edited:
[h=2]I identify my ancient ethnicity most with East-Germanic Tribes like the Goths. Living DNA gave me now new resuls of my Autosomal DNA: Northeast Germanic 60,3 %, Northwest Germanic 19,5 %, Northeast Europe 20,2 %.

The results of "MyTrueAncestry" are this:
[/h]Viking Danish + Avar (1.607)
Viking + Avar (3.393)
Ostrogoth + Avar (5.218)
Viking + Scythian (5.239)
Viking + Ostrogoth (6.149)
Ostrogoth (7.151)
Viking (8.325)
Avar (9.53)
Scythian (10.65)
Viking Danish (11.73)

It seems my genetic is a combination of Northeuropean and tribes from the steppes.
[h=3]Your closest Archaeogenetic matches...[/h][h=6](Smaller numbers mean closer matches to you) Info [/h]
1. Western Pomerania Unetice (2000 BC) ..... 5.71 - Rise139 -
Top 99 % match vs all users

2. Greuthungi / Ostrogoth (400 AD) ..... 7.151 - MJ19 -

3. Iron Age Ingria (130 AD) ..... 7.399 - VIII7 -

4. Western Scythian Ukraine (580 BC) ..... 8.196 - MJ13 -

5. Viking Sweden (1100 AD) ..... 8.325 - Sigtuna grt036 -

6. Sala Silver Mine Sweden (1610 AD) ..... 9.192 - Sk6866 -

[h=3]Closest genetic modern populations:[/h]1. Southwest_Finnish (7.341)
2. Czech (9.308)
3. East_German (10.03)
4. Finnish (11.31)
5. German_Central (11.37)
6. Polish (11.99)
7. South_Polish (12.83)
8. North_Swedish (12.89)

Bjornsson,Interesting. I also trace my family origins to Yorkshire (the area just east of Wakefield), though as G2a. I have long-lost cousins (found through DNA) who still live in East Yorkshire and London. Some of my family settled in Kentucky, on the Ohio river in a little town called, oddly enough, California. My current expectation is that my father's line, probably farmers in Germany at the start of the BA, came into England with the Beakers or Celts, so I suppose I most identify with them.My maternal line is also K, but from Holstein in northern Germany. That, of course, is quite close to Anglo-Saxon origins.
Interesting. My mtDNA was found in a Viking grave in Oxfordshire and Dalarna in Svealand, although my Y-DNA was from Götaland.
When I started this thread 10 years ago I mentioned that I identified with Germanic (Frankish), Celtic and Italic/Roman ancestry. I have since estimated that my ancestral blend would be approximately 50% Germanic (about half from Denmark through the Franks and half from assimilated tribes in northern and western Germany), 35% Celtic and 15% Italic/Latin/Roman. The availability of ancient DNA samples from all Europe has now made it possible to compare the genetic distance from these ancient peoples. My closest population is indeed the Franks (genetic distance of 7 for closest match), then the Celts (GD=9 for Hinxton2), the Saxons (GD=9.5 for Hinxton1) and medieval Danes (GD=10~12). My closest ancient Latin sample (R435 from Palestrina) is at a GD of 12, about the same distance as Danish Vikings.
We have the same percentage of Celtic ancestry, although the rest be Germanic (even if some classified linguistically Romance), going by Ancestry DNA and My True Ancestry. I am mostly Saxon, followed by a mostly solid 12.5% Frankish and whether this be from France, Flanders or Holland I cannot tell because it's all in my recent family tree going back to 32nds. I must agree with the others in dispute with you about the Franks, who are Istvaeonic and from Germania Inferior, unlike the Saxon Ingvaeones from Jutland, although Belgae and Brythons have a common origin and existence in the midst of Germans, Celts and Romans. If you're interested in Denmark, it would be through Normandy where this is most important for the Franks, or even Sicily and Antioch, if those Franks could be transmogrified into Normans. The Danes under Horik and Harald Klak held Friesland before Weland went to Flanders and then Rollo to Neustria, but this was all well after the Merovingians and Arnulfings regrouped in Belgium (etc), so Denmark had only as much to do with the ethnogenesis of the Istvaeones as it did the Teutonic Irminones, who were from Germania Superior. This strange invocation of Denmark for relevance in Frankish identity is as off kilter as the presumption of Rhenish material culture in Kent supposedly vouching for the Franks taking part in the settlement of Britain along with the Ingvaeones, when the Frisians weren't even really there and only those tribes further Northeast were. If you really want to get at the heart of the matter, research the Nordwestblock's impact upon both Gaul and Albion, through the Belgae and Brythons of Celto-Germanic or Germano-Celtic descent before Rome even took over, in the wake of Rome to be followed by the Istvaeones in the former and Ingvaeones in the latter. Parallels there may be, but cross-pollination doesn't support your theory. All in all, Istvaeones and Irminones each had an ethnogenesis more in common with the other than either did with Ingvaeones (i.e. Jutlanders) and Scandinavians, these other two obviously the less European half of the four groups.

Last edited:
My ancient ancestors were such a diverse bunch. How can I characterize my billions of genetic ancestors with just one ancient ethnicity label?

Lower Rhine Bell Beaker might cover the majority of my ancient European ancestors in the 3rd millennium BC, but DNA tells me that Bell Beakers were themselves derived from earlier ancient populations. Three major components were WHG, Anatolian Neolithic and Yamnaya. In turn, Yamnaya were made up of EHG and CHG. Both EHG and CHG had a substantial ANE component. So it seems many ancient ethnicities were nested within other ancient ethnicities.

I could choose ANE to represent the source of Y haplogroup R* and pre-PIE (proto-Eurasiatic). But then there is also Melanesian and indigenous Taiwanese, the two major ancient components of my Maori ancestry.

Perhaps I should go really ancient and just identify as Simian.

My ancient ancestors were such a diverse bunch. How can I characterize my billions of genetic ancestors with just one ancient ethnicity label?

Lower Rhine Bell Beaker might cover the majority of my ancient European ancestors in the 3rd millennium BC, but DNA tells me that Bell Beakers were themselves derived from earlier ancient populations. Three major components were WHG, Anatolian Neolithic and Yamnaya. In turn, Yamnaya were made up of EHG and CHG. Both EHG and CHG had a substantial ANE component. So it seems many ancient ethnicities were nested within other ancient ethnicities.

I could choose ANE to represent the source of Y haplogroup R* and pre-PIE (proto-Eurasiatic). But then there is also Melanesian and indigenous Taiwanese, the two major ancient components of my Maori ancestry.

Perhaps I should go really ancient and just identify as Simian.

It's refreshing to see someone with your attitude.

I have to remind myself of this sometimes. Yes, finding out that a lot of my ancestry is Latin and Greek "like" is what I had hoped to find, but there are no "pure" ethnic groups. You have to keep in mind the past admixtures which led to those groups, and accept all the ancestral groups which went into making you, "you".

When I started to get interested in this hobby, I did it because I liked the idea of ​​combining history and biological sciences, two subjects that always interested me. And when I did my DNA test, I did it for two reasons: to know how many and which non-European components I had (because I already knew the Europeans quite well), and also, what relationship could I have with my admired Romans. And I could see that, although I may have Roman ancestors, I can also have Celtic origins, due to my ancestors from northern Italy and also from the northwest of the Iberian Peninsula. And the surprises came from the side of Y-DNA and mtDNA. The Y-DNA was R1B U 106 (so my male ancestors may have contributed to the destruction of my admired Roman Empire), and the mtDNA was A2 (I thought all my Native American heritage came from my maternal grandfather's side). So 2000 years ago, while my maternal ancestors worshiped Tupá in the rainforest of central/southeastern South America, my male ancestors worshiped Odin in the forests of Germania...

Last edited:
I suppose it's strange for us Englishmen as prior to the 5th century, all of the history we learn is about Roman Britain, and before that Celtic Britain or the Neolithic Britain of Stonehenge, Avebury and Silbury Hill. We don't really focus on the ethnic aspect, otherwise I guess we'd lean more towards prehistoric Jutland and the Low Countries when it came to learning about the past

When I started to get interested in this hobby, I did it because I liked the idea of ​​combining history and biological sciences, two subjects that always interested me. And when I did my DNA test, I did it for two reasons: to know how many and which non-European components I had (because I already knew the Europeans quite well), and also, what relationship could I have with my admired Romans. And I could see that, although I may have Roman ancestors, I can also have Celtic origins, due to my ancestors from northern Italy and also from the northwest of the Iberian Peninsula. And the surprises came from the side of Y-DNA and mtDNA. The Y-DNA was R1B U 106 (so my male ancestors may have contributed to the destruction of my admired Roman Empire), and the mtDNA was A2 (I thought all my Native American heritage came from my maternal grandfather's side). So 2000 years ago, while my maternal ancestors worshiped Tupá in the rainforest of central/southeastern South America, my male ancestors worshiped Odin in the forests of Germania...

Fascinating, isn't it? Like you, I admired the Roman Empire, and before that I admired the ancient Greeks and the Minoans. I find I am indeed descended from Latins and ancient Greeks.

I was not a big fan of the Indo-Europeans, but I found out that my father carried yDna U-152, and I'm mtDna U2e1, which are both steppe lineages. I learned that the Italics carried steppe ancestry, and so did the Celt-Ligurians from whom I'm also descended.

So, there you go; I definitely have steppe ancestry autosomally, but in addition, both the uniparentals of my ancestors come from the steppe.

This research definitely broadens your view of your own ancestry and of history or pre-history itself.

Distance to: Torziok12b
3.58079600 Burgweinting–Nord-West_II_(ADH)_388-532calADA_Female:NW54:Veeramah_2018
4.26423498 I3593:Olalde_2018
4.63928874 C7-Crypta_Balbi_Late_Antiquity:R105:Antonio_2019
4.73068705 Hungary_BA:I7041:Olalde_2018
4.82277928 Collegno23:Amorim_2018
4.85309180 Croatia_EMBA:I4331:Mathieson_2018
4.90795273 Etruscan_IA:R474:Antonio_2019
4.94308608 Protovillanovan_IA:R1:Antonio_2019
4.95979838 C7-Mausole_di_Augusto_Late_Antiquity:R33:Antonio_2019
4.99818967 I7040:Olalde_2018
5.02880702 Croatia_EMBA:I4332:Mathieson_2018
5.14056417 ORD001_Daunian_WGSEv3
5.71485783 I5017:Olalde_2018
5.89447199 La_Tène_IA:ERS88:Brunel_2020
5.93363295 Beaker_Central_Europe:E09538:Olalde_2018
6.00532264 Szolad28:Amorim_2018
6.35530487 VK538_Foggia_Puglia_Italy
6.53401102 ORD009_Daunian_WGSEv3
6.59958332 Beaker_Central_Europe:I4885:Olalde_2018
6.60955369 Collegno49:Amorim_2018
6.63158352 Hungary_BA:I7043:Olalde_2018
6.67385945 MOK13:Zegarac_2021
6.71792379 Hallstatt_C-Early_La_Tène_IA:NOR3-15:Brunel_2020
6.78342097 Helladic_Logkas_MBA:Log04:Clemente_2021
6.88000000 Vucedol:I3499:Mathieson_2018

Target: Torziok12b
Distance: 0.4785% / 0.47853295 | ADC: 0.25x RC
48.3 Hungary_BA
27.1 Szolad27
13.7 Burgweinting–Nord-West_II_(ADH)_388-532calADA_Female
5.9 NE_Iberia_RomP
5.0 C7-Crypta_Balbi_Late_Antiquity

Not a simple straight forward answer. I'm as pure of a Finn as one can be. I would like to think I'm also fairly knowledgeable in Nordic and in general European history. So based on what I know, what the culture around me is, where I live, the language I speak, the information I have about my genetics and the experiences I have had I would identify with more than one ethnic group and with every one of them in different ways. Because I am European, I feel a connection to the ancient Greeks and Romans but I probably don't share many quite recent ancestors with them. Because I have a mixed ancestry of the many Finnish tribes, my known family tree is not developed enough and I'm an urbanite, I don't have a strong regional identity inside the borders of my country but I feel an affinity towards Finland proper. So I would gravitate towards identifying with the people who gave their name to my country, suomalaiset. But I also have a strong feel of Nordic brotherhood (despite the many wars my people fought against other Nordics, mainly the Danes). So I somewhat feel like the Vikings (not really ancient but very old) weren't that foreign (there's at least one famous archeologist who advocates for a theory that what are now called Finns and Estonians were also Vikings but that's besides the point of this post) but more strongly feel a connection to the Swedes (of the old) because, despite what some Finnish nationalists think or say, they are our big brother nation. Without the Swedes (maybe not ancient but old), Finnish identity would be quite different than what it is now.

Romans, and even further back the Anatolian Farmers which is why even distinct genetic south euro groups look very similar at times phenotypically. Portuguese all the way to Greece and even into Turkey etc.

Culturally, I feel closest to the Romans, being a Spaniard myself. Genetically, I am Celto-Iberian with some Germanic input. My haplogroup is I1 for what it's worth, and any Gedmatch Oracle calculator gives me a quarter either South German, Germanic mixed, English from Kent or even Lithuanian.

I find that my beliefs I have previously stated have been affirmed.

hBqhYyfm.jpg
+
ZcFa1BKm.jpg

Modeled as 2.7 : 7.3 ratio of Yamnaya (minority)-Minoan (substratum). With Yamnaya paternal and maternal-linages.

IrL1mat.png

Haplogroup H2b, H6a1b, H13a1a1a and many other undetermined H subclades (including many probable H1 and H5) turned up among the mtDNA samples from the Yamna culture, which occupied the Pontic-Caspian Steppe during the Early Bronze Age. The Corded Ware culture, which is associated with the expansion of Y-haplogroup R1a from the steppes to Central Europe and Scandinavia, yielded samples belonging to H1ca1, H2a1, H4a1, H5a1, H6a1a and H10e. Ancient DNA from the Catacomb culture, strongly associated with Y-haplogroup R1a, yielded samples belonging to H1, H2a1 and H6. The Unetice culture, which is thought to mark the arrival of R1b in Central Europe (but overlapping with the previous R1a expansion), had individuals belonging to H2a1a3, H3, H4a1a1a2, H7h, H11a, H82a. Haplogroup H5a was found in the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture and most probably entered the Steppe gene pool by intermarriage.

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_H_mtDNA.shtml

3SnZbaO.png

Honestly, I don't even know what to believe anymore with these DNA tests, especially the ancient ones. The further back you go, the more of everything we all are, so ultimately it's a matter of choice and whatever you feel the most cultural connection with. I guess I feel a vague sense of connection with Orthodox and Byzantine culture in southeast Europe, as well as native ancient peoples. Though my paternal line goes to Yamnaya, saying you feel a connection to Indo Europeans feels silly to me since that's such a broad category, and the original ones were so long ago

I am most closely related to the ancient ethnicity of Scandinavia. My DNA results revealed that I have a high percentage of Viking DNA, which is not surprising given my Swedish heritage. What was surprising, however, was the amount of British and Irish DNA that I have. Apparently, my ancestors were quite adventurous! I also have a small amount of Italian DNA, which may explain my love of pasta))

bZczToT.png

DNA testing has informed me that I am more masculine than most people. Maybe that's why I come across as a little intense, sometimes. I also believe it plays into my political orientation. The result comes from Nebula, for my 30x WGS sample.

This thread has been viewed 294107 times.

Back