With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

A is the most common haplogroup among Amerindians, but it is also found among all East Asians and Siberians. There are probably more Chinese belonging to hg A than people in the Americas. That's why it's important to know once subclade, to differentiate between continents and countries.

My mtDNA subclade test is still running; however, it is almost impossible to be from East Asia or Siberia, I have really no ancestors from there. A is a common mtDNA haplogroup in Brazil, since here the general rule is: Y-DNA european (mostly portuguese) and mtDNA amerindian (mostly A; X is almost inexistent here).

Celtic. If you believe EA, as far back as the Picts. Funnily enough, I don't "feel" Celtic, whatever that actually means. For example, I've always identified with the Norse myths rather than Celtic paganism which, frankly, makes Scientology look simple and easy to understand...:startled:

But there's no getting away from Genetics; I'm a Celt wether I like it or not.

Gártha!
Celtic legends and myths are not complex; you just have to understand with your heart and feel the ancestor spirits alive. Anyway, the norse religion (Ásatrú) is also great and I don't see any issue in worship different pantheons, even 'cause you surely have norse ancestry in autosomal dna.

Below, a beautiful prayer for Brighit, Brighde or Bride, maybe the most known and important celtic goddess:

"Gabhaim molta Brighde"

Gabhaim molta Brighde, Iníon í le hÉireann,
Iníon le gach tír í, molaiimís go léir í.
(I sing loudly the praise to Brighde, daughter not only of Éire
But of all countries of the World; lets praise her!)

Lóchrann geal na Laighneach, soils' ar feadh na tire,
Ceann ar óigheacht Éireann, ceann na mban ar mine.
(Leinster bright lamp, the flame that crosses the land,
Leader of the young women of Ireland, one of the best women who ever lived)

Tig an geimhreadh dian dubh, gearra lena géire,
Ach ar lá le Brighde, gar duinn Earrach Éireann.
(The hard dark winter comes, rough and sharp
But when the day of Brighde comes, the spring of Éire is not far away anymore)

Gártha!
Celtic legends and myths are not complex; you just have to understand with your heart and feel the ancestor spirits alive. Anyway, the norse religion (Ásatrú) is also great and I don't see any issue in worship different pantheons,even 'cause you surely have norse ancestry in autosomal dna.

Below, a beautiful prayer for Brighit, Brighde or Bride, maybe the most known and important celtic goddess:

"Gabhaim molta Brighde"

Gabhaim molta Brighde, Iníon í le hÉireann,
Iníon le gach tír í, molaiimís go léir í.
(I sing loudly the praise to Brighde, daughter not only of Éire
But of all countries of the World; lets praise her!)

Lóchrann geal na Laighneach, soils' ar feadh na tire,
Ceann ar óigheacht Éireann, ceann na mban ar mine.
(Leinster bright lamp, the flame that crosses the land,
Leader of the young women of Ireland, one of the best women who ever lived)

Tig an geimhreadh dian dubh, gearra lena géire,
Ach ar lá le Brighde, gar duinn Earrach Éireann.
(The hard dark winter comes, rough and sharp
But when the day of Brighde comes, the spring of Éire is not far away anymore)

I'm sorry, but what makes you say that? I was under the impression that Autosomal DNA could only link one with recent ancestors.

Hi, David,
Not at all. Some laboratories, namely FTDNA and 23andMe, make available your autosomal DNA's origins; 23andMe even says the regions in Europe where your european genes come from. Autosomal DNA is time-limited ony in finding relatives; it seems to me it is able to rescue only in a 5 or 6 generations distance, i.e. you will discover cousins sharing with you the same great-great-grandparents.
Moreover, talking demographically and historically, if your ancestors are in Scotland for more than 300 years surely you have saxon, norse and celtic roots.

Kveða!

I'm sorry, but what makes you say that? I was under the impression that Autosomal DNA could only link one with recent ancestors.

Thanks, man. I was'nt aware that service was available. Who do you think is better for this kind of Autosomal DNA testing, 23AndMe or FTDNA?

Well I did both; 23andMe is more complete, but sometimes have some NP-hard troubles, which makes FTDNA more trustable (however, they have a much smaller database).
23andMe sometimes has great promotions, offering complete tests by USD 99.

Mainly Germanic with Slavic and Celtic intermixture. Haven't done a DNA Test yet, but as my ancestry comes from Saxony, Lusatia and Upper Rhineland, I guess it wouldn't tell me anything else.

Maybe when someone gets the genetic test is because they suspected that the origin is another country or territory where you live, in my case I always knew it was not Iberian, was something I felt, but my DNA And the Canaanite was a surprise as Celtic my mitochondrial DNA, also was tired of hearing the current independence of northern Spain, always proclaiming Celtic as the argument is now disintegrating and I have it. Undoubtedly genetic testing helps to know you better.

Maybe when someone gets the genetic test is because they suspected that the origin is another country or territory where you live, in my case I always knew it was not Iberian, was something I felt, but my DNA And the Canaanite was a surprise as Celtic my mitochondrial DNA, also was tired of hearing the current independence of northern Spain, always proclaiming Celtic as the argument is now disintegrating and I have it. Undoubtedly genetic testing helps to know you better.
How do you know you don't have Iberian origins ? The y-dna and mtDNa are only two lines of your ancestry. They represent a very small picture of your whole ancestry.

That's exactly my point of view! Even if it turned out my haplogroup is J1, that wouldn't make me a Near Eastener suddenly. I can tell from a look in the mirror and my cultural background that I'm absolutly not. It is only thisspecific gene picked that had it's origin somewhere in the Near East. The rest of my genes comes from a bunch of other places. The Y-DNA test wouldn't tell me where the majority of my genes come from. And this majority might also be just a very slight majority.
So from this current point a test would still be a waste of money for me. My only motivation would be the additional contribution to science. If it is still usefull.

That's exactly my point of view! Even if it turned out my haplogroup is J1, that wouldn't make me a Near Eastener suddenly. I can tell from a look in the mirror and my cultural background that I'm absolutly not. It is only thisspecific gene picked that had it's origin somewhere in the Near East. The rest of my genes comes from a bunch of other places.

I agree, we have millions of ancestors if we start counting from 6000BC or so, and our haplogroup is what only one of our ancestors was out of the millions we have. It is just an indication of which part of the world he came from, but more or less the ancestors of Europeans came from Asia... The haplogroup doesn't give you any clue about the "million - 1" ancestors you have.

It doesn't stop on humans either, we have similar gens as our cousins primates, or the fish that came on the ground 350 million years ago. Heck, we even picked up some gens from bacterias and viruses few times.
I don't care what's my haplogroup, I don't mind living among mixed cultures. On other hand I love history and science, and I'd love tracing routes and movements of ancient tribes. For this we need to slap a label on people.

How do you know you don't have Iberian origins ? The y-dna and mtDNa are only two lines of your ancestry. They represent a very small picture of your whole ancestry.

I understand what you mean. If the ancestor of my mother is in the Iberian Peninsula from the fourth century BC, may have used to survive Iberian haplogroup, for the same father as my genetic results in the tenth century or Xl my paternal ancestor was North Africa Middle East or Italy, what kind of results is given three choices?, do I have to choose the one that suits me or how this works?, if I were of Carthaginian origin was common to take wives Iberian , Hannibal Barca's own mother was Iberian, what puzzles me is that it appears Italy, perhaps descended from the Emperor himself Emiliano or Anibal Barca (delusions of grandeur), the question is: Are the genes that have mixed my two paternal and maternal lineages are in me the same way that my two lineages found by the test?

I understand what you mean. If the ancestor of my mother is in the Iberian Peninsula from the fourth century BC, may have used to survive Iberian haplogroup, for the same father as my genetic results in the tenth century or Xl my paternal ancestor was North Africa Middle East or Italy, what kind of results is given three choices?, do I have to choose the one that suits me or how this works?, if I were of Carthaginian origin was common to take wives Iberian , Hannibal Barca's own mother was Iberian, what puzzles me is that it appears Italy, perhaps descended from the Emperor himself Emiliano or Anibal Barca (delusions of grandeur), the question is: Are the genes that have mixed my two paternal and maternal lineages are in me the same way that my two lineages found by the test?
Yes, of course. But you don't inherit for example the y-dna of the father of your mother, or the mtDNA of the mother of your father,etc and they are obviously part of your ancestry.

Well, I was adopted in the United states but researched my true family origins and discovered that I am a Mcdonell by name with ancestors from Inverness in the Scottish Northern highlands my HG is I-M170 and I am RH negative (if that is significant) I have never had my mitocondrial DNA tested. Being adopted, I never had a hard core identity association so I would say that is a work in progress. (; Could anyone suggest the best place to have some conclusive testing done at a reasonable price?

Yes, of course. But you don't inherit for example the y-dna of the father of your mother, or the mtDNA of the mother of your father,etc and they are obviously part of your ancestry.

I understand. In tests they face two haplogroups, but there is much more behind.

Yes they can. DecodeMe have included reference populations around the world.

Yikes! It's like two thousand bucks! Is there anything similar that's a bit more affordable?

I don't have the funds to get myself tested. Although I am of Irish and Italian (Southern Italian and Sicilian - Syracuse) descent, I find the independent Greeks states and their ways the most appealing. I think that many of them struck a good balance between order and liberty. They were rough when they needed to be and eloquent and cultured when necessary. They respected the rule of law. I still am amazed at the number of states in Greece that were willing to stand and fight Xerxes' army and not offer submission.

I also like the manner of requiring citizens to be equipped and trained for a turn out.

This thread has been viewed 294060 times.

Back