With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

If necessarily ancient, then the Israelites, but I don't identify much with non-Western Jews, so I suppose the best answer is really just Ashkenazim. DNA has obviously told me I'm basically just Ashkenazi, and as for Israelite I'd peg myself and other Ashkenazim at around two thirds (perhaps a liberal estimate, but I'm inclined to believe it).

I'm most interested in the Bell Beaker people, though.

Monday to Thursday: Ancient Romans.

Friday only: Ancient Aliens (TV Marathon) :)

Saturday and Sunday: Ancient Romans/Messapi.

LoL

Mostly Italian DNA, 0.4% is unassigned (that’s obviously Alien)

I feel like being an ancient Egyptian or Persian. Imagine reaching the point where we can change our genetic makeup into another ethnicity, that would be fascinating!

I feel like being an ancient Egyptian or Persian. Imagine reaching the point where we can change our genetic makeup into another ethnicity, that would be fascinating!
I respect your choices.
None of them makes the bulk of your Ancestry.
Puzzling :unsure:

Unless you were joking, then forget about it. :grin: lol

Some of my results are very widespread, ranging from North-West Scotland to Central Asia (livingdna), but the bulk is South Europeans and most of it revolves around Italy.
I'm fascinated by the Picts and the Huns, however I wouldn’t identified with them.

I respect your choices.
None of them makes the bulk of your Ancestry.
Puzzling :unsure:

Unless you were joking, then forget about it. :grin: lol

Some of my results are very widespread, ranging from North-West Scotland to Central Asia (livingdna), but the bulk is South Europeans and most of it revolves around Italy.
I'm fascinated by the Picts and the Huns, however I wouldn’t identified with them.
Sorry, it wasn't serious, just having fun

I'm a typical American hodgepodge of a lot of different things. I don't identify with anything other than being an American. I'm not even sure what my "ancient" ethnicity was and given that ethnicity is more of a modern concept, I'm guessing my ancient ancestors didn't identify much with anything outside of their clan or small tribe.

I identify with the nobility

Hard to say. It's more like 2 hearts are beating in my chest. My ancestry is Bavarian - Germanic tribes, celtic tribes and the Romans have lived in this region. I don't know how it feels like being this or that. I prefer the south and couldn't even imagine moving up to the north.

I always identified with Basques and Aragonese people. FTDNA says in MyOrigins that I'm 100% Iberian (Not strange, but a bit surprising that it was 100% not 97%-99%). According to Eurogenes K13, my closest populations are:

1 Spanish_Aragon 3.789045
2 Spanish_Cantabria 5.661650
3 Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha 6.183954
4 Southwest_French 6.663763
5 Spanish_Andalucia 7.957942
6 Spanish_Valencia 8.334660
7 Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon 8.557667

Being born and bred in France, I "identify" with the French, whatever that means genetically speaking. My DNA results haven't had much impact on what ancient ethnicities I may identify with, other than making me more interested in tracing back my Italian ancestors. Having said that, I have a thing for British history and culture.

My father told me our family was German, but a little research showed we were from northern England (emigrated 1680's). My mom's side is all-German, almost exclusively from Holstein (the Probstei). However, Y-DNA is G2a-Z726, which isn't terribly English; mtDNA is K1a4a1h.

Both my parents are from southern Albania and I consider myself a Tosk too .
Simply , I consider myself an average Albanian that has both parents from the south . Even though from different places , because my father is from the western part meanwhile my mom is from the eastern part of Albania . My Living dna data told me that the bulk of my Adna is ‘Aegean ‘ , so yes that means Albania .
Meanwhile being a male the most interesting part is that I inherited from un unknown and far direct male ancestor a slavic ydna . Yes , I would say very intriguing .
On the other hand my mtdna says little to me because I cannot connect it to a specific ethnicity (mine is H15). I only know that H15 is connected with the I.E waves . Hope in future I’ll go deeper in both my y/mtdna .
That’s all .

Parents from Macedonia (new name N.Macedonia ) ,I know atleast 10 ancestor generations all were Macedonians, my y-dna says something like this i think my ydna is R1b;
E1b1a 2.1
E1b1b 19.9
G2a 15.6
G2c -
H -
I1 2.4
I2a (xI2a1) 9.2
I2a1 -
I2b (xI2b1) -
I2b1 2.3
J1 -
J2a1b -
J2a1h -
J2a1 x J2a1-bh -
J2b 9.2
L -
N -
Q 4.5
R1a 4.7
R1b 30.1

I have 2 cousins with redhair and blue eyed ,We always wondering why they r redheaded (i always thought they were adopted...JK :D)
, i see now probably coz haplogroup...
I identify my self with Macedonians and Thracians...Fun fact is that Macedonians,Thracians were considered like reddish hair people.
I love all my neighbour countries because we r not aware that we share so much history and more or less we are all similar.
Besides that i have many Albanian friends also Greeks and Serbians and we all love eachother \m/ !
CHEERS...

Parents from Macedonia (new name N.Macedonia ) ,I know atleast 10 ancestor generations all were Macedonians, my y-dna says something like this i think my ydna is R1b;
E1b1a 2.1
E1b1b 19.9
G2a 15.6
G2c -
H -
I1 2.4
I2a (xI2a1) 9.2
I2a1 -
I2b (xI2b1) -
I2b1 2.3
J1 -
J2a1b -
J2a1h -
J2a1 x J2a1-bh -
J2b 9.2
L -
N -
Q 4.5
R1a 4.7
R1b 30.1

I have 2 cousins with redhair and blue eyed ,We always wondering why they r redheaded (i always thought they were adopted...JK :D)
, i see now probably coz haplogroup...
I identify my self with Macedonians and Thracians...Fun fact is that Macedonians,Thracians were considered like reddish hair people.
I love all my neighbour countries because we r not aware that we share so much history and more or less we are all similar.
Besides that i have many Albanian friends also Greeks and Serbians and we all love eachother \m/ !
CHEERS...

None of this is relevant to your ancient ancestry. If you want to learn about that, test your Y-DNA until subclade determination. An autosomal test could be a little helpful too.

Y-haplogroups do not determine hair color.

How my Y-DNA is not relevant for my ancient ancestry, thats stupid right?I already did ancestry test it says something like this ,
West Eurasian 100%South European 60%Balkan 31%
South/Central European 29%
North Slavic 31%
Ashkenazi 8.6%

[h=5]Balkan[/h]Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece
Does not include: Egyptian in (2 sites) Egypt; Belarusian in Belarus; Italian/EastSicilian, Italian/Bergamo and Toscani in (Bergamo and 2 other sites) Italy; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Ashkenazi Jew in Poland; Turkish in (Aydin, Balikesir and Istanbul) Turkey; Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine and Ashkenazi Jew from East Europe especially Lithuania (expat in Baltimore MD)[h=5]South/Central European[/h]Includes: Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani in (Bergamo, Tuscany and 1 other site) Italy
Does not include: Albanian in Albania; Basque/French in France; Italian/EastSicilian, Italian/WestSicilian and Sardinian in (Sardinia and 2 other sites) Italy and Lithuanian in Lithuania[h=5]North Slavic[/h]Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine
Does not include: Altaian, Kalmyk, Nganasan and Adygei in (Caucasus and 3 other sites) Russia; Turkmen in Uzbekistan; Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria; Italian/Bergamo in (Bergamo) Italy; Norwegian in Norway; Ashkenazi Jew in Poland; Turkish in (Istanbul) Turkey; Finnish in Finland and Ashkenazi Jew from East Europe especially Lithuania (expat in Baltimore MD)[h=5]Ashkenazi[/h]Includes: Ashkenazi Jew in Poland and Ashkenazi Jew from East Europe especially Lithuania (expat in Baltimore MD)
Does not include: Albanian in Albania; Belarusian in Belarus; Bulgarian in Bulgaria; Estonian in Estonia; Greek in Greece; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine and Finnish in Finland

Anyways highest r1b is in Scotland,Ireland , most highest rate of redhair in world is there like 14% of population...Anyways i think y-haplogroups determine hair color, not like specific red but light hair/blonde..Anyways my cousins are really redheads,we have same y-dna coz we r connected by fathers side....
Cheers.

I already posted my results

like this ,
West Eurasian 100%South European 60%Balkan 31%
South/Central European 29%
North Slavic 31%
Ashkenazi 8.6%

Balkan

Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece
Does not include: Egyptian in (2 sites) Egypt; Belarusian in Belarus; Italian/EastSicilian, Italian/Bergamo and Toscani in (Bergamo and 2 other sites) Italy; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Ashkenazi Jew in Poland; Turkish in (Aydin, Balikesir and Istanbul) Turkey; Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine and Ashkenazi Jew from East Europe especially Lithuania (expat in Baltimore MD)South/Central European

Includes: Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani in (Bergamo, Tuscany and 1 other site) Italy
Does not include: Albanian in Albania; Basque/French in France; Italian/EastSicilian, Italian/WestSicilian and Sardinian in (Sardinia and 2 other sites) Italy and Lithuanian in LithuaniaNorth Slavic

Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine
Does not include: Altaian, Kalmyk, Nganasan and Adygei in (Caucasus and 3 other sites) Russia; Turkmen in Uzbekistan; Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria; Italian/Bergamo in (Bergamo) Italy; Norwegian in Norway; Ashkenazi Jew in Poland; Turkish in (Istanbul) Turkey; Finnish in Finland and Ashkenazi Jew from East Europe especially Lithuania (expat in Baltimore MD)Ashkenazi

Includes: Ashkenazi Jew in Poland and Ashkenazi Jew from East Europe especially Lithuania (expat in Baltimore MD)
Does not include: Albanian in Albania; Belarusian in Belarus; Bulgarian in Bulgaria; Estonian in Estonia; Greek in Greece; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine and Finnish in Finland

This thread has been viewed 296037 times.

Back