With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

on every threshold i match two 1600 1200 illyrian,Thracian and Seleucid...Idk about you.
and in my Ancient samples distance is not big 14-16 ....

14-16cM means you share approx. 0.20% DNA with that ancient Illyrian, making you 4th cousins and having a common 3rd grandparent. Do you see the problem here?

Also, I would refrain from posting crazy conspiracy theories on this site because there is very low tolerance for this kind of stuff from the admins.

14-16cM means you share approx. 0.20% DNA with that ancient Illyrian, making you 4th cousins and having a common 3rd grandparent. Do you see the problem here?

Also, I would refrain from posting crazy conspiracy theories on this site because there is very low tolerance for this kind of stuff from the admins.

So i share dna anyways , its ancient sample 3000+ years ago...
And no this is not consipiracy theory , This is Study Makedonika by very good profesor , if you want original article i will send you...
Thanks.

That's the last thing I am saying on the matter, but if you lower the thresholds low enough, you probably match random primates in the circus. Good luck.

That's the last thing I am saying on the matter, but if you lower the thresholds low enough, you probably match random primates in the circus. Good luck.

Samples are same on any sample number i set it , its not showing new or showing random, if you r not satisfied from this site with your results thats something different...

I have verified 3-4th cousins with a total 60 cm and largest segment of 16cm. There is no way you would have that much in common with an ancient sample.

Samples are same on any sample number i set it , its not showing new or showing random, if you r not satisfied from this site with your results thats something different...

I logged in to their site again, and lo and behold, with their latest update they are hiding the 'cMs shared' tag in their matches. They now just show a 'genetic distance' tag, whatever that means. So I match Mycenean Greeks at a 'genetic distance' of 22.5 whatever that means with cMs not visible, how convenient, now I have to pay them to tell me that I share 10-20cMs with those skeletons who are my 4th-5th cousins really, all the way back to 1800B.C.

Listen, guys, if you want to burn your cash, I am all up for it, send me a pm and you can pay me a few hundred euros and I'll prepare for you a very nice certificate (with much better gfx than that website) stating that you are the direct descendant of Alexander the Great, or Khal Drogo, or whoever else you might chose. Seals of authenticity and all are included in the price. How does that sound?

I logged in to their site again, and lo and behold, with their latest update they are hiding the 'cMs shared' tag in their matches. They now just show a 'genetic distance' tag, whatever that means. So I match Mycenean Greeks at a 'genetic distance' of 22.5 whatever that means with cMs not visible, how convenient, now I have to pay them to tell me that I share 10-20cMs with those skeletons who are my 4th-5th cousins really, all the way back to 1800B.C.

Listen, guys, if you want to burn your cash, I am all up for it, send me a pm and you can pay me a few hundred euros and I'll prepare for you a very nice certificate (with much better gfx than that website) stating that you are the direct descendant of Alexander the Great, or Khal Drogo, or whoever else you might chose. Seals of authenticity and all are included in the price. How does that sound?

couldn't inbreeding explain those numbers a bit? thogh 4th cousin really is too close to explain it with inbreeding.

I was born and grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. My family arrived following the Gold Rush. Family lore suggested Irish, Scottish, English, and Norwegian origins. I more or less thought of myself as Irish-American, until I met Irish-American from the U.S. East Coast. From then, I identified as a Northern Californian. This is, in fact, my most "ethnic" identity.

In regard to identifying with an ancient ethnicity, I picked Celtic. My tribal sense of it has diminished over the years, and these days I am pretty much a fan of Celtic.

DNA-wise, I am very Western Irish, some Scots and/or English, with a smidge of German and Eastern European. Plus, more Neanderthal than many.

Since I found out that I'm R1a, it's brought a smile to my face, having been raised with Danelaw Englishness as our ancestry and being most fond of the East Germanic tribes, especially Theodoric's Goths. In the British Isles archipelago, only the Færoyar happen to bear that majority of my Y-DNA haplogroup, not Yorkshire, despite our Jórvík roots being well-known as at least Danish and Norwegian beyond the rest of England, followed by Lincolnshire and the other Five Boroughs. I struggled to feel like we were Danish or Norwegian, but I, my father and grandfather, all prefer the forests and swamps to flat coastlines and rocky mountaintops.
In 2008, I was happy to discover our paper and archaeological records in England, Sweden and Finland leading back to Sweden, 2019 being when my DNA results proved that we are indeed descended in the male line from Sweden. Maternally, I'm Anglo-Saxon and K mtDNA haplogroup, same as my children from their mother.
Living DNA and Ancestry DNA both profile me as majority British Isles, give or take random percentages of other seemingly trace DNA populations that don't stay the same, as so bewilderingly revealed by employing Gedmatch Admixture Utilities.
At least Living DNA gets my 1/4 Northumbria and 3/4 Mercia-Wessex clusters, matching my grandparents.

Interesting speculative topic. The ancient group I identify the most with, albeit not the sole exclusive one are Scandinavian and Germanic tribes, both from present day Sweden and lower Rhine regions.

Ancient Romans

GzmHLdF.png

Since I found out that I'm R1a, it's brought a smile to my face, having been raised with Danelaw Englishness as our ancestry and being most fond of the East Germanic tribes, especially Theodoric's Goths. In the British Isles archipelago, only the Færoyar happen to bear that majority of my Y-DNA haplogroup, not Yorkshire, despite our Jórvík roots being well-known as at least Danish and Norwegian beyond the rest of England, followed by Lincolnshire and the other Five Boroughs. I struggled to feel like we were Danish or Norwegian, but I, my father and grandfather, all prefer the forests and swamps to flat coastlines and rocky mountaintops.
In 2008, I was happy to discover our paper and archaeological records in England, Sweden and Finland leading back to Sweden, 2019 being when my DNA results proved that we are indeed descended in the male line from Sweden. Maternally, I'm Anglo-Saxon and K mtDNA haplogroup, same as my children from their mother.
Living DNA and Ancestry DNA both profile me as majority British Isles, give or take random percentages of other seemingly trace DNA populations that don't stay the same, as so bewilderingly revealed by employing Gedmatch Admixture Utilities.
At least Living DNA gets my 1/4 Northumbria and 3/4 Mercia-Wessex clusters, matching my grandparents.
Bjornsson,

Interesting. I also trace my family origins to Yorkshire (the area just east of Wakefield), though as G2a. I have long-lost cousins (found through DNA) who still live in East Yorkshire and London. Some of my family settled in Kentucky, on the Ohio river in a little town called, oddly enough, California.

My current expectation is that my father's line, probably farmers in Germany at the start of the BA, came into England with the Beakers or Celts, so I suppose I most identify with them.

My maternal line is also K, but from Holstein in northern Germany. That, of course, is quite close to Anglo-Saxon origins.

Ancient Romans
GzmHLdF.png

If we could ask R437: “With what Modern Ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?“

R437 would have said: YOURS! 100% :)

ouGPrJF.jpg

iSJwrzQ.jpg

I've always identified with Medieval and Renaissance Italians as far as historical populations are concerned, as I believe we are both genetically and culturally closest to them. That really hasn't changed.

In terms of these ancient samples, if I went by closeness of fit I'd identify as a Balkan of the Bronze Age (specifically Dalmatia) or a Pannonian (Hungary) of Late Antiquity before I'd identify as an ancient Roman, although my fits to Romans aren't at all bad. :) That would be silly, though. Even my Celt-Ligurian ancestors quickly became proud Roman citizens, at least by the time of Augustus, and those Roman settlements at Luni and Parma mean I doubtless have Latin ancestors as well. Look at Livy: he came from near modern Padua in the Veneto, yet he bragged about being "a Roman from Italy". So, yes, I guess I identify "as a Roman from Italy" to some extent as well.

^^That's true,

Medieval Italians are my best fits:

Distance to:Jovialis
3.02061252R973_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
3.28542235R835_Imperial_Era_Civitanova_Marche
3.34644588R54_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
3.43008746R121_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia
3.70737104R836_Imperial_Era_Civitanova_Marche
3.83489244R970_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
4.06829202R60_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
4.18988067R969_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
4.49402937R1290_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
4.91924791R122_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia
4.94132573R49_Imperial_Era_Centocelle_Necropolis
4.96690044R64_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
5.28137293R56_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
5.77595879R117_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia
6.07903775R131_Imperial_Era_Via_Paisiello_Necropolis
6.10611169R52_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
6.12550406R113_Imperial_Era_Via_Paisiello_Necropolis
6.31027733R35_Late_Antiquity_Celio
6.31831465R59_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
6.32038765R47_Imperial_Era_Centocelle_Necropolis
6.33613447R65_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
6.55681325R1544_Imperial_Era_Necropolis_of_Monte_Agnese
6.83668048R58_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
6.91828013R107_Late_Antiquity_Crypta_Balbi
6.94813644R136_Imperial_Era_Marcellino_&_Pietro

Target: Jovialis
Distance: 1.8610% / 1.86099643 | ADC: 2x
67.8R973_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
15.6R121_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia
11.6R835_Imperial_Era_Civitanova_Marche
5.0R970_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti

Distance: 0.8999% / 0.89991175 | ADC: 1x
50.8R973_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
24.8R970_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
24.4R121_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia

Distance: 0.5504% / 0.55038087 | ADC: 0.5x
32.0R973_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
30.8R970_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
22.8R121_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia
13.8R836_Imperial_Era_Civitanova_Marche
0.6R54_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna

Distance: 0.4151% / 0.41513862 | ADC: 0.25x
32.0R970_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
22.0R973_Medieval_Era_Tivoli_Palazzo_Cianti
20.2R836_Imperial_Era_Civitanova_Marche
20.0R121_Late_Antiquity_S_Ercolano_Necropolis_Ostia
5.2R54_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna
0.2Bul4_Yamnaya_Bulgaria
0.2I1917_Yamnaya_Ukraine_outlier
0.2R60_Medieval_Era_Villa_Magna

Thraco-Illyrians and Northern Greeks.

I think I am consistent with all of the posters with Italian ancestry from somewhere in Italy's 20 "regione" that have posted above, Medieval Italians are my best overall fits (15 of top 40 fits). However, I have a fit <5 with Iron Age Roman R437 so I would like to think I can accurately say I am in genetic continuity with Iron Age Romans down to modern Italian populations from Central Italy to Sicily (which is where my Great Grandparents and in the case of My Mother, my Grandfather immigrated from).

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ancient_30_Jan_2020.jpg
    Ancient_30_Jan_2020.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
As a Greek, it's easy to identify with Ancient Greeks. However, since delving into DNA side of things, admixture calculators think I'm more closely related to Southern Italians than mainland Greeks, which surprised me at first. Playing with some amateur tools and comparing to ancient admixtures, I seem to be equally close to Mycenaean and ancient Anatolian. After reading the history from the island 3/4 of my grandparents come from, it is thought that it was actually originally controlled by the Carians.

So my guess is that I am most similar to an intermediate between Ancient Greece and Ancient Anatolia, which makes sense given the geographical position of the Dodecanese island I'm originally from. So I still identify as an Ancient Greek, but accept some of my DNA comes from the Ancient Anatolian they interacted with too.

When I started this thread 10 years ago I mentioned that I identified with Germanic (Frankish), Celtic and Italic/Roman ancestry. I have since estimated that my ancestral blend would be approximately 50% Germanic (about half from Denmark through the Franks and half from assimilated tribes in northern and western Germany), 35% Celtic and 15% Italic/Latin/Roman.

The availability of ancient DNA samples from all Europe has now made it possible to compare the genetic distance from these ancient peoples. My closest population is indeed the Franks (genetic distance of 7 for closest match), then the Celts (GD=9 for Hinxton2), the Saxons (GD=9.5 for Hinxton1) and medieval Danes (GD=10~12). My closest ancient Latin sample (R435 from Palestrina) is at a GD of 12, about the same distance as Danish Vikings.

The availability of ancient DNA samples from all Europe has now made it possible to compare the genetic distance from these ancient peoples. My closest population is indeed the Franks (genetic distance of 7 for closest match), then the Celts (GD=9 for Hinxton2), the Saxons (GD=9.5 for Hinxton1) and medieval Danes (GD=10~12). My closest ancient Latin sample (R435 from Palestrina) is at a GD of 12, about the same distance as Danish Vikings.

So, do you consider 7 to be a close match, or is that rather middling?

I always thought of myself as English/Dutch/German (predominantly northern Germany), the standard early American mix. My closest ancient populations seem to support that,

1. Saxon Hinxton (720 AD) (5.171)
2. Colonial American Pennsylvania (1700 AD) (5.276)
3. Medieval Denmark (1250 AD) (5.779)
4. Frankish/Hungary (590 AD) (6.0)
5. Bell Beaker Scotland (6.325)
6. Alemannic Bavaria (500 AD) (6.426)
7. Viking Saxon Iceland (6.635)
8. Medieval Norway Sankt Nikolai B (1349 AD) (7.252)
9. Post Viking Denmark Odense (1250 AD) (7.479)
10. Anglo Saxon (780 AD) (7.49)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 294088 times.

Back