Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Neolithic Scandinavians were mostly lactose intolerant

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Neolithic Scandinavians were mostly lactose intolerant

High frequency of lactose intolerance in a prehistoric hunter-gatherer population
    in northern Europe

The DNA of 10 Scandinavians from the Neolithic Pitted Ware Culture (ca 3200 BC– ca 2300 BC) was tested for the allele 13910 T/C associated with lactase persistence (CT and TT) or lactose intolerance (CC). Only one T allele was found out of 10 pairs, i.e. an incidence of 5%. This is very low compared to the present percentage of lactase persistence in the Swedish population (76% of T allele according to this study, but over 95% of actual lactose tolerance as only one allele is needed to be tolerant).

This means that the Scandinavians have changed a lot genetically over the last 4000 years, probably due to the arrival of the Indo-Europeans with the Corded Ware culture (mostly R1a) and later Bronze and Iron Age migrations from Central Europe (mostly R1b). Neolithic Scandinavians are thought to have belonged almost exclusively to Y-haplogroup I1.

The mutation for lactase persistence is believed to have originated in the Pontic steppes, probably between the Volga and the Urals, west of the Ural, between 4600 and 2800 BCE. The Indo-European expansion into Poland, Germany and Scandinavia started around 3100 BCE, but didn't reach Sweden before 2800 BCE. The single allele found in this study is likely a first trace of Indo-European admixture.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

Geographic distribution of the lactase persistence allele in contemporary Europeans. The darker the orange color, the higher is the frequency of the lactase persistence allele. The dashed black line indicates the limits of the geographic distribution of early Neolithic cattle pastoralist (Funnel Beaker Culture) inferred from archaeological data

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 449

MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c3i

Ethnic group
    UK/German/Irish

In my group of 29 extended sharers, and myself, here are the percentages for lactose intolerance:

GG- lactose intolerant 27%
    AG- tolerant, 1 allele 30%
    AA- tolerant, both alleles 33%

Among the GG's: 3 Europeans, 1 African American, 1 from Turkey, 3 Ashkenazi Jewish

Among the AG's: 1 Russian, 6 Ashkenazi Jewish, 5 European

Among AA's: 10 European

There seems to be a strong bias towards lactose tolerance for those of European ancestry, especially Northern Europeans, in my group. I'm AA as is my son, both UK/German ancestry.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Looks like someone cut out Great Britain. The antienglish people, lol.

This little map is the most interesting. In many places by the sea, the lactose tolerance is weaker. The shore people could supplement diet with sea food, therefore lactose persistent people didn't had the edge of survivor.
    Also interestingly, the lactose genes didn't spread through Alps and Carpathian Mountains well. Maybe in south the agriculturalists already took hold and lactose gene wasn't this important anymore.
    What's most interesting is how strongly the corded wear people imprint is still visible in same area after 4 thousand years!

Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-M222>A725>S676
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4a1a4b

Ethnic group
    Insular Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Looks like someone cut out Great Britain. The antienglish people, lol.
    And Ireland as well. My people were Irish and I lived there for several years, and we live on milk and cream. Anytime you order a desert in Ireland, you will be asked "do you want cream(whipped) on that?".

On a similar thought, I am allergic to gluten (wheat). Wheat got to Ireland late, but cattle got there early.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Same in Poland Eochaidh, lots of foods/cooking is based on batter, cream, yogurt, and cheeses. Basic village diet used to be milk, eggs and bread with batter.

If it comes to my allergies, not many, so far only to clumps/some shellfish and curry. I must say not really a diet of my ancestors. For the rest it just needs to be fresh, ripe, natural, good cook,....and keep'em coming.