Failed states index 2009.

L

^ lynx ^

fsi_09_small.gif

Detailed ranking at: http://www.fundforpeace.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=391&Itemid=549

That's interesting. It would be useful to mention that this map was computed based on 12 indicators :

Social Indicators

I-1. Mounting Demographic Pressures
I-2. Massive Movement of Refugees or Internally Displaced Persons creating
Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
I-3. Legacy of Vengeance-Seeking Group Grievance or Group Paranoia
I-4. Chronic and Sustained Human Flight

Economic Indicators

I-5. Uneven Economic Development along Group Lines
I-6. Sharp and/or Severe Economic Decline

Political Indicators

I-7. Criminalization and/or Delegitimization of the State
I-8. Progressive Deterioration of Public Services
I-9. Suspension or Arbitrary Application of the Rule of Law and Widespread

Violation of Human Rights

I-10. Security Apparatus Operates as a "State Within a State"
I-11. Rise of Factionalized Elites
I-12. Intervention of Other States or External Political Actors

The 5 most sustainable countries in 2009 were all Northern European :

1) Norway
2) Finland
3) Sweden
4) Switzerland
5) Ireland

How can Ireland be in the top 5 with all their recent problems?

This is a bunch of nonsense. Somalia and some other countries have been failed states for years, if not decades. These nations are way beyond "alert" status.

Yes, Ireland should not be in the sustainable category, all things considered.

Ireland ?? I highly doubt it, after they went bankrupt , they had a recession of -9%, and Iceland also went bankrupt with a -13.8% growth rate :petrified:

Last edited:
This is a bunch of nonsense. Somalia and some other countries have been failed states for years, if not decades. These nations are way beyond "alert" status.

Check out the detailed ranking in the web Cambria. Somalia ranked as #1 i.e. it's the failest state. The "Alert" status is the worst.

Check out the detailed ranking in the web Cambria. Somalia ranked as #1 i.e. it's the failest state. The "Alert" status is the worst.

If a state has failed then it should be listed as such, not given "Alert" status. It's conceptually incorrect. "Alert" suggests something along the lines of "heading towards failure".

Iceland as "Sustainable"!!??...:confused:

Surely one can argue with this map.
Interestingly though, for the big part it goes hand in hand with "countries average IQ map of the world".

Singapore warning? That's total bullocks!:useless:

Amusingly, most of its performance indicators have risen since the collapse of government rule.

How can Ireland be in the top 5 with all their recent problems?

That's just a temporary economic problem. It doesn't affect the other indicators.

Alert is the worst category. I think you just arguing about the denomination.

Ireland shouldn't be included?

Sour grapes lads:grin:

Interesting that the top 5 are all small countries, no wonder they are European.

Interesting that the top 5 are all small countries, no wonder they are European.

Small in population (Sweden is geographically bigger than Germany). Canada, Australia and New Zealand are also demographically small countries. Canada has half the population of the UK of France, Australia is only slightly more populous than the Netherlands, and New Zealand has half the population of Denmark (or 3x less than Hong Kong). See, there are plenty of small countries outside Europe.

Small in population (Sweden is geographically bigger than Germany). Canada, Australia and New Zealand are also demographically small countries. Canada has half the population of the UK of France, Australia is only slightly more populous than the Netherlands, and New Zealand has half the population of Denmark (or 3x less than Hong Kong). See, there are plenty of small countries outside Europe.

Your right I meant small populations, in fact the 12 countries highlighted in green or SUSTAINABLE are all relatively small populations with the three above included Canada Australia and New Zealand.

The bit about "No wonder they are European" was a bit of Go Europe Go Europe!!(y)

This thread has been viewed 17570 times.

Back