Should I travel to Greece or Italy..?

Albert85

Reaction score
Hello. Any advice, opinions, or input would be greatly appreciated on this. I'm torn between traveling to Greece or to Italy. I have spent more than one month in Italy before, and I absolutely love everything about the places in Italy I spent time in, which were Florence (Firenze) and Rome (Roma). I speak near-fluent Italian. I have not visited Southern Italy, which I would likely do if I were to return to Italy (in addition to visiting Florence in Tuscany). I know that I would love to return to Italy. On the other hand, I have a strong desire to experience and get to know Greece (in part because I have never been there). I own the Rosetta Stone Greek language computer program so I have a tool for learning much Greek. A question I have is: how similar or different (in your experiences) are these two countries? If I visit Italy I will travel to Tuscany and Sicily. If I visit Greece I will travel to Athens and Crete (and possibly Corfu town (Kerkira)). So if I'm absolutely in love with Italy, would I enjoy Greece? Or would I regret not having returned to Italy? Feel free to ask me any questions that might help you answer my question. Thank you and I'm interested to hear your responses!

Both the places are great and choosing one from these is really a difficult task. But I will definitely recommend Italy as it is one of my favorite destinations. I like Italy due to its beautiful cities, architecture, museums and restaurants. Recently during my trip to Italy I got an opportunity to explore various amazing cities in Italy including Rome, Florence, Venice and Naples. It was a great trip. I hired a car for my whole trip from carsrentalitalydotcom and it was a nice deal. They offer vast range of cars and the services are quite moderately priced. If one is looking for hiring a car out there he can check out their website for more details.

Well Italy and Greece are enough different. Italy has more things to see in my opinion but Greece has also very beautiful places. Sicily was Magra Grecia, a Greek colony, so I think that if you absolutely cannot decide, Sicily is a good destination to go, becouse it is Italy but has got many Greek monuments, temples and theatres, and also the sea is very similar to that of Greece.

Greece has many beautiful places. Athens? Well, that's another story.

Italy is one of the most culturally interesting countries in the world.

Albert if you decided to come to Greece, then you must sellect the time,

for example, Corfu has a unique Eastern, but its better to go when East Church has Eastern, Rhodes is very beatifull but you better go the time that butterflies born,
Cyclades are beatifull in Summer a little crowded by celebrities some a little bit early Christian architecture some other islands,
west islands are beatyFull also, but reminds italy,
Crete is unique, cause has many cultural origins antiques and style,
even autumn and spring you can swim.
Athens is a big city bigger than LA 4 500 000 people, so go only to see monuments,
its a city,
although near Athens is Sterea and the Delphi museum,
Peloponese is beatifull specially in summer, and has Big History, and different styles,
there you 'll find Mycaene, the Hommeric city, you see Sparta, you see last Byzantine culture from last Emperrors, also Tower-houses from Greek indipednce 1800
and offcourse Olympia the origianl area of Olympic games,
Epirus is different as Makedonia and Thrace,
Epirus has very ancient like Dodona and early culture, Ioannina with castle, crusaders time, and Ali pasa island when Greece was under Turk-Albanian occupation,
Makedonia is the place of Alexander the Great, many monuments, and has also winter games areas in mountains, the Makedonian Gold, The ancient city of Thessaloniki, of many cultures, the holy city Dion, and can swim mainly in summer time,
The Christian Holy Mountain Athos with more than 24 monasteries, Chalkidiki etc
Thrace has another colour, reminds the Ottoman occupation, and a sacred island of Samothrace,
depends what you want to see and live,
Glamour-celebrities,
Monuments very ancient antiques, later ancient roman, Byzantine and protoChristian, Crusaders time, Ottomans era,
swim and good relaxing vacations,

Greece has same climate with central and south Italy.
if you want a tour is ok. July is a little Bit crounded, also in 1st half August,
Greece has islands with 50 people total empty and with hundred thousands,
but Avoid vacation at Athens, only for monuments is worthy,
Especially in summer, and remember the riots time, so το avoid suffering,

Although many look same, and have same climate,
every country in mediterrean is different

it depends what culture you are more addicted,
Italy south Italy is almost similar, and also beatifull,
the more you go north Italy changes, Rome is Rome, every body knows,
and the more north the Venice the Genoa the Alpen is another Italy,
although i have been many times,
i can't help you with Italy,
maybe ask an italian,
But where ever you go first ask about local festivals and fairs
every place is different at festival times,

Ooops! I am a greek myself but I love Italy, so it's difficult to be objective. Here is an idea: I don't know how much time you've got available, but, if you cannot make up your mind, why not visit both? You can get very cheap flights from Rome to Athens (check easyjet). Hope that helps!

Ooops! I am a greek myself but I love Italy, so it's difficult to be objective. Here is an idea: I don't know how much time you've got available, but, if you cannot make up your mind, why not visit both? You can get very cheap flights from Rome to Athens (check easyjet). Hope that helps!

What I was going to say. Maybe southern Italy and take the ferry to Patra? Visit both countries and a short cruise too!

What I was going to say. Maybe southern Italy and take the ferry to Patra? Visit both countries and a short cruise too!

yep, this could be a tour of Magna Grecia-Greece, Landing in Naples, visiting it and Paestum, than taking a train going to Bari, visiting it, from there taking a ferry and visiting patrass and athene

I don't see anything special about the extreme southern half of Italy. There's really nothing to see if you go further South than Naples into Basilicata/Pugila/Calabria. It's just farmland.

I don't see anything special about the extreme southern half of Italy. There's really nothing to see if you go further South than Naples into Basilicata/Pugila/Calabria. It's just farmland.

I have to disagree, for Matera is one gem of a city that deserves to be visited. There's more to Italy than Rome and Florence, but you need to dig a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matera

The southern half of italy si much better regarding panoramas; it's rural and autentic, not cosmopolite like Milan and other majour centre and northern italian cities; also they not feel so european but southern european mediterranean. It depends on what you search, milan turin, bologna, florence are not that different from munich, paris, london etc in atmosphere.

The southern half of italy si much better regarding panoramas; it's rural and autentic, not cosmopolite like Milan and other majour centre and northern italian cities; also they not feel so european but southern european mediterranean. It depends on what you search, milan turin, bologna, florence are not that different from munich, paris, london etc in atmosphere.

I do not think Bologna or Turin are in any way comparable to London or even Paris. London is in a category of itself (along with NYC). Something like 30% of it's population was not born in the UK. The figure for Bologna is 9% and I think Turin's something like 13%.
I do not know about Munich but I don't think London is comparable with any Italian city (Milan comes close with 20% but still) as far as diversity is concerned. As I said, it's in a category of it's own. A handful of cities worldwide are comparable.

Northern Italy has also many beautiful rural scenarios. Ok, not Milan, but the Venetian country or the lakes of Lombardy or Trentino are definitely amazing. The south is better for the sea, especially Campania, Sardinia, Sicily and some parts of Apulia, but the north has the Ligury Coast that also worths a visit. :heart:

You should travel to Italy. Italy is one of the most visited countries in the world. Each tourist love to visit its beaches, ruins, and mountains and step into a world over 3,000years old. It's capital wasn’t built in a day and you’ll need a lifetime to see it. With so many sites and places to see, you’ll never be at a loss to do. Whether it’s exploring the ancient roman forum and walking where Caesar did, seeing the Vatican, or making a wish at the Trevi Fountain, Rome is an obvious stop for anyone’s trip to Italy.

Both places are amazing in the world.you can enjoy pleasurable travel experience but it depends which one you choose.

Hello everybody

Last year I went on tour to Italy. Italy is a beautiful place for traveling in the world. There is no problem in communication in different areas in Italy. The bus and car services in Italy are undoubtedly excellent. You can get the bus within a minute. There is a bus station where the bus has started the journey. There is a famous travel agency who provided the bus like from large to small bus for rental to the travelers. If you are interested to travel by bus, you can get the bus for rental through our websites.

Best regards
Federico Romano

Both the places are awesome to travel.I hope i will visit one of the place in future.I visited Polo Beach last month with my family and we have booked Makena Condos in Polo Beach and they offer all required facilities like high speed internet.

HI , I decided to treat myself a birthday trip, and chose Greece. From booking the tour to making it and returning home, it took about a month and everything was managed by adrenaline-travel.com.

I love this country because it has beautiful history, culture and stories that inspire. The tour gave a solid introductory glimpse to this beautiful country, however it’s only scratching the surface.

The 9 days spent in Greece was one of the best times in my life. As an architect seeing the Parthenon in person for the first is beyond enthralling. We visited Athens, the Peloponnese where Epidaurus, Mycenae and Olympia are, and back to the Mainland covering Delphi and Meteora. We also spent a day island hopping Aegina, Hydra and Poros at the Saronic Gulf.

This thread has been viewed 80162 times.

Back