Iceman's DNA

Yeah, generally there is the question if Ötzi has any living descendants, just like the people from the Lichtenstein Cave have. It is already established that Ötzi's mitochondrial Haplogroup doesn't exist anymore, but obviously, he himself could never passed it on, anyways. Now, what I am especially curious about is Ötzi's Y-Haplogroup. I personally expect some variety of Haplogroup I2, but he might have had something else.

Yeah, generally there is the question if Ötzi has any living descendants, just like the people from the Lichtenstein Cave have. It is already established that Ötzi's mitochondrial Haplogroup doesn't exist anymore, but obviously, he himself could never passed it on, anyways. Now, what I am especially curious about is Ötzi's Y-Haplogroup. I personally expect some variety of Haplogroup I2, but he might have had something else.
how it doesn't exist anymore his mtDNA ? He is mtDNA K2

His mtDNA haplogroup has been called K1ö (ö for Ötzi) as nobody has been found with the same mutations within K1 yet.

Anyhow, men don't pass on mtDNA so it is useless to determine his connection with modern people.

The interest of this ancient test was to be able to determine that hg K1 was already present around the Alps 5300 years ago. This means that K1 likely came with Near-Eastern farmers during the Neolithic rather than with the Indo-Europeans from the steppes later on. That's not a surprise when one knows that K is most common in the Near East and that many K1 subclades are found among Jewish people as well as Europeans and Middle Easterners.

His mtDNA haplogroup has been called K1ö (ö for Ötzi) as nobody has been found with the same mutations within K1 yet.

Ah yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

Anyhow, men don't pass on mtDNA so it is useless to determine his connection with modern people.

The interest of this ancient test was to be able to determine that hg K1 was already present around the Alps 5300 years ago. This means that K1 likely came with Near-Eastern farmers during the Neolithic rather than with the Indo-Europeans from the steppes later on. That's not a surprise when one knows that K is most common in the Near East and that many K1 subclades are found among Jewish people as well as Europeans and Middle Easterners.

Well, from that perspective, it is also conceivable that Ötzi could have had Y-Haplogroup E1b1b or J2.

This thread has been viewed 9239 times.

Back