Genetic of Italy (also taken from Wikipedia)

Does Nat Geo give Asia Minor to Greeks? Is that what you mean?

Geno 2 Helix Reference Population for:

GREEKS:

Italy & Southern Europe: 44% - Eastern Europe: 32% - Asia Minor: 19% - Jewish Diaspora: 5%

TUSCANS (ITALY)

Italy & Southern Europe: 67% - Eastern Europe: 15% - Northwestern Europe: 9% - West Mediterranean: 9%

GREEKS:

Italy & Southern Europe: 44% - Eastern Europe: 32% - Asia Minor: 19% - Jewish Diaspora: 5%

TUSCANS (ITALY)

Italy & Southern Europe: 67% - Eastern Europe: 15% - Northwestern Europe: 9% - West Mediterranean: 9%

Tuscans are absolutely not 15% Eastern European in the traditional sense. There is virtually none of the ydna traditionally associated with "Eastern Europe", which is also true of northwestern Italy. I think what they're picking up there may be Langobard dna. Clearly, as I said, southern Italians are the centrum for Italy in this scheme, as they are in 23andme, where Tuscans also get somewhere in the high 60s for "Italian".

The same is probably true for the Greeks, and that 32% is not just "Slavic" dna but every more steppe heavy ancestry that went intot he Balkans, Goths, Celts, earlier steppe groups, as well as specifically Slavs.

In all tests, whether based on modern populations or ancient samples, I always come up about 70% "southern", and 30% "northern". I guess that's good in a way because it means that if you know how to interpret these tests in general terms they're all getting it just about right.

@Jovialis, yes, it's probably a better way.

Tuscans are absolutely not 15% Eastern European in the traditional sense. There is virtually none of the ydna traditionally associated with "Eastern Europe", which is also true of northwestern Italy. I think what they're picking up there may be Langobard dna. Clearly, as I said, southern Italians are the centrum for Italy in this scheme, as they are in 23andme, where Tuscans also get somewhere in the high 60s for "Italian".

The same is probably true for the Greeks, and that 32% is not just "Slavic" dna but every more steppe heavy ancestry that went intot he Balkans, Goths, Celts, earlier steppe groups, as well as specifically Slavs.

In all tests, whether based on modern populations or ancient samples, I always come up about 70% "southern", and 30% "northern". I guess that's good in a way because it means that if you know how to interpret these tests in general terms they're all getting it just about right.

@Jovialis, yes, it's probably a better way.

I bet the Greeks from the Peloponnese and Islands would probably get a very high Italy/Southern Europe score, like the South Italians. As we have learned over the past few months from the studies that have come out; there's strong similarities. Looking at the PCA, modern Greece covers a large area. The Greek reference population for Nat Geo is not representative of all modern Greeks. Perhaps the Greek reference population sample Nat Geo used is from an area in the that's towards the Northeast; hence Asia minor admixture.

But then again, Asia minor could mean Anatolian-like. :unsure: I haven't seen a description anywhere for that particular component.

I hope Dr. Vilar still comes here to answer questions about the test. Clarifying the Greek sample would be a good one.

A Reference Population is just an Average of an Entire General Region.

Description for Eastern European:

The Eastern and Central European component is predominantly associated with cultures from Poland, Germany, the former Austria-Hungarian Empire and the former Soviet republics of Belarus and Ukraine, and Western Russia. The same migration of hunter-gatherers who moved north to Finland and northern Russia are at the core of the earliest Eastern Europeans. Eventually, these groups met and mixed with the farmers who pushed in from southern Europe and the Near East, giving rise to the modern Eastern and Central Europeans. Thus this part of your ancestry has deep ties with and influences from multiple sources. They are a combination of Middle Eastern farmer, early European hunters, and Central Asian nomads. Today, this component is seen across various Eurasian groups, with the highest percentage found in Polish, Czech, Slovaks, Russians, Hungarians, Ukranians, as well as some German, Austrian and Balkan populations.

I think they may actually be in the process of re-working this component. I don't recall it saying, Eastern and Central European, originally. If that's the case, it makes a lot more sense for Tuscany being at 15%.
:unsure:

GREEKS:
TUSCANS (ITALY)

Geno 2.0 Next Generation - Reference Populations

South Europe (* France is only partially southern European).

qHf1bxR.jpg

Bulgaria gets only 8 percent South euro? Interesting

New NatGeo NG 2 Helix differs:
e8e27ced30f96048787be8b22fb542a7.jpg

f962c5bd70b0e41c41b669e8486a92f1.jpg
0af2ed7914c93d827926f594f9304ae4.jpg
716f183b3f36194047b569dbbb5117cb.jpg

Is it odd that Romania would be almost triple Southern Europe compared to Bulgaria?

All those averages are from the old test. They were conducted differently from the new one; cheek swab, with a genotyping chip, different algorithm; from the FTDNA lab. Also they've updated the algorithm from the previous (non-helix) test recently; those reference populations are likely different.

Nevertheless, all of those components still exist, but are found in different populations for the Helix test. For example, North Africa is still found in Senegalese; aisa minor found in Balkan populations. Jewish diaspora is in many groups. From results people have shared from the new test, I see they still have Arabia coming up in other populations as well. As well as traces of east African.

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/32730-Strange-Geno-2-0-results?p=507557&viewfull=1#post507557

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...-Helix-Version?p=517505&viewfull=1#post517505

//

Finally found what the French reference population looks like for Helix. Interesting that they get zero Italy & southern Europe, but a whole lot of Southwestern Europe. I guess Italy and southern Europe is more exclusive to Italy and Greece, and the other areas the description says. But I guess it makes a lot of sense when you look at the PCA chart. Nevertheless, like with Greece, it is looking at France as a whole; not taking into account the disparities between regions.

EDIT:

I guess south western Euro has a much bigger range than I thought.

5eGnMgv.png

French (53% Northwestern Europe, 27% Southwestern Europe, 9% West Mediterranean, 5% Eastern Europe, 4% Jewish Diaspora, 2% North Africa)

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?10358-My-Geno-2-0-Next-Generation-Helix-Results

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthr...-Helix-Results&p=275316&viewfull=1#post275316

//

This guy has 23andme results, as well as Helix; they look pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxUffZRs9W0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIlPWFirbdA

I asked a rep if they were going to post the new averages online, but she couldn't verify that information.

//

European Jewish from eastern Europe:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?11041-Interpreting-my-Geno-2-0-Results

Last edited:
All those averages are from the old test. They were conducted differently from the new one;

They are distinct.
All those average are from Geno 2.0 Next Generation, initiative of the National Geographic Society.

The new one, Helix, is a start up and does not represent Geno 2.0 Next Generation and neither some kind of update.

Helix has a partnership with National Geographic (and Mount Sinai, Exploragen...) for a co-branded initiative.

Helix is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Geno 2.0 Next Generation/National Geographic Society in Washington, DC.

They are distinct.
All those average are from Geno 2.0 Next Generation, initiative of the National Geographic Society.

The new one, Helix, is a start up and does not represent Geno 2.0 Next Generation and neither some kind of update.

Helix has a partnership with National Geographic (and Mount Sinai, Exploragen...) for a co-branded initiative.

Helix is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Geno 2.0 Next Generation/National Geographic Society in Washington, DC.

The results are processed by National Geographic, but they are sequenced by Helix in the Gentek labs, in San Diego. Helix just sequences the genome, but they are interpreted by national geographic.

The update I was referring to was for the older test that is genotyped by FTDNA. National Geographic works with both FTDNA and Helix, two separate companies, that analyze the data. They use different algorithms; FTDNA did in fact update their's in June, based on user threads I've seen.

Helix is a subsidiary of Illumina, and their platform is meant to transfer results to other apps they host (i.e. insitome)

Those regional populations are in fact coming from national geographic, reading the data provided by helix.

The results are processed by National Geographic, but they are sequenced by Helix in the Gentek labs, in San Diego. Helix just sequences the genome, but they are interrupted by national geographic.

The update I was referring to was for the older test that is genotyped by FTDNA.

But they are two different projects. It's not so hard to understand. Helix can't be considered an update of Geno 2.0 Next Generation.

Those regional populations are in fact coming from national geographic, reading the data provided by helix.

The regional populations depends on the Helix's project.

But they are two different projects. It's not so hard to understand. Helix can't be considered an update of Geno 2.0 Next Generation.

I'm not saying it's an update. And I did in fact say they are two separate companies.

Please follow:

Helix sequences the DNA, and gives it to national geographic to interprets the results. Its the new test. New company

FTDNA labs genotypes the DNA, and gives it to national geographic to interprets the results. Its the old test. Furthermore, they updated their algorithm in June for that version.

"It's not so hard to understand."

What's up with the condescending attitude?

Edit: Perhaps you misunderstood me, or I was not clear enough. Nevertheless, I hope the points above clarify what I'm saying.

At the moment Geno2 NG offers HELIX only to Americans.
To the Rest of the World they offers the Classic test, now called INTERNATIONAL still processed by FTDNA, as a couple of months ago, at least.
Helix uses Sequencing.
FTDNA uses Genotyping.

At the moment Geno2 NG offers HELIX only to Americans.
To the Rest of the World they offers the Classic test, now called INTERNATIONAL still processed by FTDNA, as a couple of months ago, at least.
Helix uses Sequencing.
FTDNA uses Genotyping.

As a subsidiary of Illumina (Helix), it has to be very legit, since that company also supplies machines to Labcorp and Quest Diagnostics. The same places that medical doctors send blood work to be done for their patience.

https://www.genomeweb.com/sequencin...rp-ngs-microarray-instruments-ldt-development

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb News) – Illumina and Laboratory Corporation of America have signed a multi-year supply agreement for Illumina's next-gen sequencing instruments and microarray equipment, the companies said today.
The deal gives LabCorp expanded rights to use Illumina's instruments to develop, validate, and market laboratory-developed tests to clinicians in the US and Canada.
LabCorp will be able to purchase a broader range of Illumina's products to develop new diagnostic tools for genetic testing, oncology, transplant medicine, and forensics, in addition to other applications. Currently, LabCorp is using the technology to develop human leukocyte antigen tests, which it plans to introduce this year.
"The Illumina next-generation sequencing platform gives LabCorp the flexibility to develop a wide range of molecular tests," Mark Brecher, LabCorp's chief medical officer, said in a statement. "The HLA typing assays we are developing on Illumina's family of NGS platforms will provide physicians with the ability to more accurately match bone marrow donors to recipients."
LabCorp CEO David King said at last week's JP Morgan Healthcare Conference that the firm is planning on expanding its portfolio of genomics-based diagnostics and will continue to advance NGS-based diagnostics in 2014.
The deal with LabCorp is the second this month between Illumina and one of the big clinical lab firms. Earlier in January it announced a multi-year supply deal with Quest Diagnostics, providing that firm with NGS technologies for the development of molecular diagnostics. Quest inked a similar deal with Life Technologies that was announced the same day.

As a subsidiary of Illumina (Helix), it has to be very legit, since that company also supplies machines to Labcorp and Quest Diagnostics. The same places that medical doctors send blood work to be done for their patience.

Theoretically that's the last time a person would need to take a DNA test.
The Data is used over and over for all type of Genetic's Tests.
Too bad that the Customers Don't Have Access to the Raw Data; yet.

My impression is that these classifications has no mean either for ancient heritage or historical moves. just my opinion: 'eastern euro' is too extended of a bag, among others...

This thread has been viewed 259846 times.

Back