Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Belgian banks to block debit card use outside Europe

Belgian banks to block debit card use outside Europe

Most of the banks in Belgium have recently decided that fraud outside of Europe is too frequent, and on Jan.17, 2011 will prevent their debit cards from working outside of Europe.

This could amount to a substantial inconvenience to travelers.

I don't have permission to post links, but I found a site showing only 7 Belgian banks that will continue allowing debit card use outside of Europe.

Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

WOW! The experiences outside Europe must have been pretty bad.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by mikehayes View Post
    I don't have permission to post links, but I found a site showing only 7 Belgian banks that will continue allowing debit card use outside of Europe.
    Only 7 Belgian banks ? There aren't many more than that ! (once you remove Internet banks and minor banks that do not have ATM's and do not issue debit cards)

I couldn't find the list of banks that won't implement these restrictions, but I read that this decision will affect 97% of Belgian debit cards.

The main Belgian consumer protection agency called the decision absurd. I suppose they could have kept the usage for OECD countries at least.

However I don't see it as a major inconvenient since credit cards will still be working and are more widely accepted.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

I'm not able to post my reply. So I've posted it to the pastebin site with article number "mCstM6GM".

Note there are no URLs in that message, but eupedia falsely detects that there is.