Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: British: Celtic and Germanic origins

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21 (S145, M529)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a2

Ethnic group
    British/Irish

Ah. I agree with you about Busby's sampling. The data from England have an eastern bias, and they could have done a better job elsewhere, too. Still, since it's your own map, and not Busby's, perhaps you should consider a more accurate label for Leeds than the one Busby used.

You did a good job in putting it together. It certainly helps to see the sample points on the map.

Ethnic group
    English with some recent Norwegian and more distant Huguenot, and dashes from the 'Celtic Fringe'.

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I think most of the U152 in England is probably Belgic in origin but that some of it may have arrived with Roman soldiers. The Parisii in Yorkshire may have been mostly U152, as well. I don't think much, if any, U152 in Britain is Germanic.
    You may well be correct re R1b U152, rms2, and I am tempted to agree with you that the Belgae are responsible for most of it. The modern day continental distribution seems to indicate that its ultimate origins are Hallstat Celtic. However, Jim Wilson for one has recently commented that U152 appears to mirror Germanic settlements too. I think we need to exercise caution here. Maybe some U152 is Germanic after all?

Ethnic group
    english,bavaria.thats all i know

if i1 arose in northern germany does that make it nordic before it became germanic(nordic non germanic)?
    this is a question that been puzzling me.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European Mix

1 members found this post helpful.
    TJ, frankly it depends on who you ask. Some background info might help... not everyone agrees on the order of arrival for the three major Scandinavian y-haplos (R1a, R1b, and I1). There are other haplogroups involved besides these three so that further complicates things.

What does seem to be agreed upon (by most posters that I've noticed anyway) is that the Northern people didn't become truly Scandinavian until all three major groups mixed in what is the Nordic countries of today. So I1 wouldn't be considered Scandinavian until R1b and R1a arrived... and vice versa.

That being said, I personally would consider ANY of the haplogroups that were located way up there (Norway, Sweden, Finland, and even Denmark) to be Norse... whether they were mixed or not. To me Norse just means Northern. But to be truly Scandinavian... the three major groups would have had to jell first.

Please jump in if I've gotten this wrong.

Ethnic group
    english,bavaria.thats all i know

thank for your help

My research show E3b was probably introduced by Roman soldiers from the Balkans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123