Seasonal Member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Asian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I am human
mtDNA haplogroup
I am human
:unsure:I am watching Merlin. This might be a stupid question for you guys but not for me, for I do not come from a European Background.

In the series there are mixed people, in between Black and white.

So I am just wondering. Were there already black people in England in the late fith century?

Or it is just television?

Ofcourse I know the magic is make belief!

Last edited:
It is really Hollywood stuff. Although there of course would be isolated cases of Black Africans being distributed in Europe as a result of Roman slavery, it would be highly unlikely that any notable amount would be in Brittain of that time. The time period of Arthur/Merlin is set after the last of the Legions had been pulled out of Brittain, first to defend Modern-day France, then lastly because a General had declared himself Emporer and moved on to the continent to assert his power (he failed). Not much would have been left of Romans and their servants after that.

Also aften missed is that Black Africa was almost completely sub-saharan until more recent times. Even people from Africa at the time of Merlin would often be, say Berbers or descendants of Phoenecian or Greek Colonists.

Hmm.. I haven't seen the movie, but in the time of Merlin it was common to use clay or paint on a warriors body for tactical reasons.
In those days, the entire tribe would do the same.

Modern day soldiers also put green and black on their faces for camouflage.

So, nothing new.

That would be partially correct. The color the people would have used in that case would be blue. I think that is was from Woad.

There were people of african origin in England. They would have originally been roman legionaries that settled in England. The Emperor Septimus Severus was black and is buried at York. There are even record of the Vikings bringing in Moroccans. It wouldn't surprise me that you would also have people from the middle east in England as well. The empire was multi-racial.

There were people of african origin in England. They would have originally been roman legionaries that settled in England. The Emperor Septimus Severus was black and is buried at York. There are even record of the Vikings bringing in Moroccans. It wouldn't surprise me that you would also have people from the middle east in England as well. The empire was multi-racial.

Wow,
This is what I was hoping to avoid.
Septimus Severus was of Equestrian rank. Roman citizens colonized many parts of the Empire. He was not black or even close to that. (Except for the fact that all of us are equally human) You appear to begin with the mistaken assumption that equates Africa with black people. Black Africa has been almost entirely sub-Saharan until recent times. The North African coast was peopled by Berbers (not black Africans- you can research that on many places on this forum and elsewhere), descendants of Phoenicians, Greeks, etc.
As I indicated in my first post, the number of black Africans would have been negligible. A multi-cultural empire is debatable. Taking it to be a multi-racial empire? Not if the facts are taken into account. This forum is a place where peers can come together and share and learn about history, culture, genetics, etc. We try to avoid pseudo-historical revisionist work here.

Morrocans are Berbers.

This thread has been viewed 9882 times.

Back