Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IE language originated from who?R1a or R1b?

IE language originated from who?R1a or R1b?

IE language originated from who?R1a or R1b?Thank you for any information!

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Impossible to know at the moment. Proto-IE could possibly be a hybrid of North Anatolian R1b1b language and Pontic steppe R1a1a language, just like English is a hybrid of Anglo-Saxon and Medieval French. This would explain why Hittite, the oldest recorded IE language, is so different from other branches of IE languages. Hittite would be the direct descendant of Anatolian R1b1b's language. But that's just a hypothesis.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Thank you for your information,Maciamo!Could it be possible that proto-IE is the language of the oldest HG R(included R1a and R1b of course) in about 25000ybp?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    N-Tat

Ethnic group
    Schwaben

I am not sure the Hittites were R1b1b2 ? but G2a3b1 more probably
    Nico

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by kgnju View Post
    Could it be possible that proto-IE is the language of the oldest HG R(included R1a and R1b of course) in about 25000ybp?
    25,000 years is too old for a language to survive. But it is possible that Proto-IE evolved from an ancestral tribal language of R* hunter-gatherers. Even if it did, there might not be any resemblance left with the original after so many millennia.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    I am not sure the Hittites were R1b1b2 ? but G2a3b1 more probably
    The Hittite elite probably included R1b1b1, R1b1b2, G2a3b1 and perhaps even R1a1a. The people they ruled comprised many more haplogroups (E1b1b, J2, other clades of G and R1b1).

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

well R1a is a strong candidate,

But considering Europe I might say That I2 is very strong,
    as also the J2 that is spread from India to Europe,

the question is that
    1) IE is a Caucasian language?
    that spread from North and then to south?

2 is a Central asian (afgan) language that spread from North to south?

3) an Indian language?

4) a south caucas that created around Laz area and spread, crating Greco-Aryan Sansqrit and the other languages?
    but from South to North replacing Saami Basques and other but kept elements and sounds.

5) a semi-caucas, semi-Antolian, or a semi caucas semi-Indian.

Personally I believe that it is a 2 wave expand language south Caucasian language that in old world expand from minor asia and middle east to east and west (mediterranean-India) , and then another wave (at least for europe) the Northen wave which came from East to west,
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152

Macimo,
    the book "the Wheel, the horse and the language" shows, in my opinion convincing evidence that the PIE of Anatolia were in fact immigrants from the pontic-caspian steppes. So i believe that the steppes is the best candidate for the origin of PIE.

In addition, as i already pointed out, my research tend to indicate that among the steppe people (PIE) that evolved after 4000BC, two branches enventually appeared around 3000BC; a western branch (in western Ukraine) that would give birth to the Centum languages and an eastern branch (around the lower Volga) that would give birth the satem languages (Eastern European languages and Indo-iranian languages).

The centum people appear to have been predominently R1b while the satem people appear to have been almost exclusively R1a.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrand View Post
    The centum people appear to have been predominently R1b while the satem people appear to have been almost exclusively R1a.
    That doesn't seem to be always the case, for example the Tocharians were Centum and they were predominantly R1a (for example, the Tarim Mummies were R1a).

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

Quote Originally Posted by Asturrulumbo View Post
    That doesn't seem to be always the case, for example the Tocharians were Centum and they were predominantly R1a (for example, the Tarim Mummies were R1a).
    This is true. In addition, there is reasonable reason to assume that the Centum-Satum split did not occur until the late 3rd / early 2nd millennium BC.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152

Guys,
    I already addressed the issue of the Tocharians in a previous post i believe.
    The tocharians, as expected were R1a. The reason why they are centum is because the development of the Satem distinction happened later, around 3000BC, while the Tocharian emigrated around 3700BC.
    (See "the Wheel the horse and the language")

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

Possible, but who was the first? Because there is 18,000 years distance between R1b and R1a and both haplogroups didn't mix with each other 3000 BCE, because there's very little R1a in Western Europe (Atlantic coast) and there is very little R1b in India!

So the carriers of one of these two haplogroups must be the first speakers of an proto-Indo-European language.
    Once again, it's impossible that R1b and R1a lived togehter since there is very little R1b in India and very little R1a in West Europe!

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

Guys,
    I already addressed the issue of the Tocharians in a previous post i believe.
    The tocharians, as expected were R1a. The reason why they are centum is because the development of the Satem distinction happened later, around 3000BC, while the Tocharian emigrated around 3700BC.
    (See "the Wheel the horse and the language")
    3000 BC is too early in my opinion, as this would predate the Corded Ware period.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152

[QUOTE=Goga;385617]Possible, but who was the first? Because there is 18,000 years distance between R1b and R1a and both haplogroups didn't mix with each other 3000 BCE, because there's very little R1a in Western Europe (Atlantic coast) and there is very little R1b in India![QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Goga View Post
    Possible, but who was the first? Because there is 18,000 years distance between R1b and R1a and both haplogroups didn't mix with each other 3000 BCE, because there's very little R1a in Western Europe (Atlantic coast) and there is very little R1b in India!
    Goga,
    in his book David Anthony shows that the PIE language has strong commonalities with the proto language of the Finns who used to live in the Ural mountains. Myres et al also shows that R1bs left a mark in the territory of the Bashkirs. further back, you can see the origins of the R haplogroup in Nothern Pakistan (please study for instance the haplogroup R2).

As a result it seems pretty clear to me that after the end of the Ice Age, R1bs moved north from Northern Pakistan toward the Urals (bashkirs) where they stayed for a while. Around 8000BC they started moving down the Volga and then toward the Dnieper (Dnieper Rapids). Later, after the domestication of the horse they spread through the ukrainian plains. Evidence also suggests that they developed then the mutation of lactose tolerance which i believe gave them an edge in their conquest (around 3000BC) of the Danube valley.

R1a is a little more difficult to study because as you know there was a massive back migration around 2700BC from eastern Ukraine (Volga) toward the Ural and down toward India again. As a result, this back migration erased the signs of the first migration. Yet, since as you pointed out, R1a was also part of the PIE initial group, I suppose that their migration north from Pakistan to the Urals and down the Volga was in line with that of the R1bs, perhaps just a little later, perhaps as a second wave. They settled mostly in eastern Ukraine. After most of the R1bs had moved up the Danube toward northern and western Europe after 3000BC, R1a migrated toward Eastern Europe and back to the Urals. Of course Tocharians had left earlier (around 3700BC) and anatolians probably around 4000BC from the western end.

Taranis,
    David anthony also shows the steps of the migration up the Danube after 3000BC. The migration was very slow and went through the balkans, Carthatian mountains and later arrived in Eastern Hungary. There was probably several waves and the bulk of them (the Tumuli culture) only arrived in Western German and Alsace around 2500-2300BC.

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

Taranis,
    David anthony also shows the steps of the migration up the Danube after 3000BC. The migration was very slow and went through the balkans, Carthatian mountains and later arrived in Eastern Hungary. There was probably several waves and the bulk of them (the Tumuli culture) only arrived in Western German and Alsace around 2500-2300BC.
    It does not matter. There is a common Germanic-Balto-Slavic vocabulary (notably the word for 'gold') which must predate the Centum-Satem split because the words relevant to it are subject to Centumization and Satemization, respectively. The only archaeological culture that we can conceive to match with the above pattern is the Corded Ware Culture. As a result, the Centum-Satem split must have occured after the Corded Ware period.

On the flip side, the split cannot have occured much later because by the mid-2nd millennium BC, we do have both Centum and Satem languages attested (Mycenean Greek for the former, and Indo-Iranic loanwords found in Mitanni for the latter).

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Although I still keep believing that Centum and Satem has to do with a substractum of Earlier language,

For example Europe,
    In south
    the more west the more Basques so IE language is absorving sounds of elder languages and becomes Centum,
    the more North
    IE absorbs Saami sounds so becomes more Germanic with rr and other complicated forms,

ENVIROMENT HAS MUCH TO DO WITH LANGUAGE,

the more the cold areas the less the vowel
    why? cause warm air leaves the body
    the more the south the more the vowels
    why cause leaving warm air cools the body,

that is why slavic languages are missing the ones in Greek called μακρα (makra) the 2 times long vowels exist in Greek
    like the dative Greek τωι πηλωι (sounds like tooi peelooi) were ω is 1,5 o or 2 o
    or big words like ωτορινιλαρυγγολογος (9 syllabes)

compare an African language how many vowels complex and a Slavic one complex,

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b

I'm assuming R1a, but not necessarily. I heard the original Indo-European may have been a fusion of Caucasus language elements with even some Finno-Ugric input, but this is uncertain.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

I believe it was J2 (+G2a & T). But if It wasn't J2 that Indo-Europized R1b and R1a, I think that R1b folks Indo-Europized R1a folks from the Balkans and Northern Caucasus. Indo-European R1b folks migrated into Europe via the Balkans and the Caucasus and settled in Central Europe first.

Quote Originally Posted by Goga View Post
    I believe it was J2 (+G2a & T). But if It wasn't J2 that Indo-Europized R1b and R1a, I think that R1b folks Indo-Europized R1a folks from the Balkans and Northern Caucasus. Indo-European R1b folks migrated into Europe via the Balkans and the Caucasus and settled in Central Europe first.
    Why don't you think that R1a are the original IE speakers? The proto IE culture originated on the Volga then after on the north Black sea shores, not the other way round. Also, Indo european is closer to Uralic languages than to Caucasian one (be it North Caucasian, Kartvelian etc). In fact, almost all the area asscoiated with J2 in the middle east were non IE (Kartvelian, Hurrian, Sumerian, Semitic, Elamite, North east Caucsian, Hattian etc...).

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Wojewoda at Forum Biodiversity posted this excellent correlation coefficient chart, relating haplogroups to IE vs. non-IE speaking groups in Iran (higher number = more correlation with IE):

Quote Originally Posted by Wojewoda
    I M170 0,28
    R1a M17 0,24
    R M207 0,21
    L M357 0,14
    R1b M73 0,14
    J2 M12 0,13
    R1b M269 0,05
    L M76 0,03
    C M216 0,03
    R2 M124 0,02
    E M78 0,01
    O M175 0,00
    H M69 0,00
    J2 M47 -0,05
    F M89 -0,05
    N LLY22g -0,06
    B M60 -0,08
    R1b M343 -0,09
    L M317 -0,14
    G M201 -0,16
    J2 M92 -0,16
    R1 M173 -0,17
    Q M242 -0,19
    J2 M67 -0,19
    E M81 -0,19
    J2 M410 -0,20
    E M75 -0,20
    NO M214 -0,22
    E M33 -0,22
    P M74 -0,22
    J2 M172 -0,23
    E P2 -0,25
    E M2 -0,27
    Y*(xBT) M91 -0,31
    E M35 -0,32
    J1 M267 -0,32
    T M70 -0,41
    E M123 -0,45
    J1 PAGE08 -0,52
    Basically, of the usual suspects, R1a has the strongest link to IE speaking in Iran, although J2b (not so much J2a), R1b-M73, and R1b-M269 have correlations, as well. That seems to support the idea that R1a is "the" IE marker, with J2b and certain R1b subclades being historically minority clades (or later absorbed clades) within the overall IE population, having their spreads also associated with the spread of IE, but not quite as exclusively.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Quote Originally Posted by spongetaro View Post
    Why don't you think that R1a are the original IE speakers? The proto IE culture originated on the Volga then after on the north Black sea shores, not the other way round. Also, Indo european is closer to Uralic languages than to Caucasian one (be it North Caucasian, Kartvelian etc). In fact, almost all the area asscoiated with J2 in the middle east were non IE (Kartvelian, Hurrian, Sumerian, Semitic, Elamite, North east Caucsian, Hattian etc...).
    What about the lost Anatolian Languages Hettit etc, Greek Armenian Aryan (kurdish) Persian Indian (Sanshqrit) Tocharian etc who belong to the Near-East / Middle East group

On the other Hand what about Cabardinians who have significant R1a and the rest Turkic populations

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b- P312
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2E2

Ethnic group
    German and Swedish

Quote Originally Posted by kgnju View Post
    IE language originated from who?R1a or R1b?Thank you for any information!
    Impossible to tell. PIE originated in the womb of nations with proto kartvelian and proto Afroasiatic. The connection with Uralic is a lot later with the expansion of indo-Irainian into the step. PIE could be associated with any west Asian Haplogroup.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Wojewoda at Forum Biodiversity posted this excellent correlation coefficient chart, relating haplogroups to IE vs. non-IE speaking groups in Iran (higher number = more correlation with IE):

Basically, of the usual suspects, R1a has the strongest link to IE speaking in Iran, although J2b (not so much J2a), R1b-M73, and R1b-M269 have correlations, as well. That seems to support the idea that R1a is "the" IE marker, with J2b and certain R1b subclades being historically minority clades (or later absorbed clades) within the overall IE population, having their spreads also associated with the spread of IE, but not quite as exclusively.
    I'm a bit confused here, Sparkey. You said the higher the number, the greater correlation, but the highest numbers are:

I M170 0,28
    R1a M17 0,24
    R M207 0,21
    L M357 0,14
    R1b M73 0,14

If I is so strongly associated with IE in Iran, why do you give preference to R? Do you think I came later? That it was part of historical migrations as it is part of a small minority in Iran?

I certainly doesn't have the reach to be the Indo-European haplogroup, naturally, and almost all I haplogroup people speak an IE language today, but it is notable they have the highest correlation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    What about the lost Anatolian Languages Hettit etc, Greek Armenian Aryan (kurdish) Persian Indian (Sanshqrit) Tocharian etc who belong to the Near-East / Middle East group
    The Tarimm mummies were tested R1a, the Northern Indian (Aryan, Sanshqrit) are R1a, the Kurdish people have sizeable amount of R1a.

It is true that Hittites in Anatolia, Aemenian and Greeks lack R1a.

On the other Hand what about Cabardinians who have significant R1a and the rest Turkic populations
    Well for the Turks it is simple, they took most of the lands of the previous Indo Iranian people.
    As for the Cantabrians, I have no idea. Maybe the two Iberians mesolithic folks that proved to be more "Northern Europe" than the current Iberians may hve been early R1a in the area.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

Quote Originally Posted by spongetaro View Post
    According to me the proto-IE culture originated somewhere around the Caucasus with cultures related to Maikop and Yamna cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamna_culture

Like the user 'ebAmerican' wrote the interaction between OLD Indo-European (and NOT 'proto')and Uralic languages occurred much later.

Also Dienkes explained this very well and according to him there're close links between proto-Indo-European and North Caucasian languages.

here you can find his theory and articles about it: http://dienekes.blogspot.nl/2012/07/...caucasian.html

http://dienekes.blogspot.nl/2012/07/...atures-in.html

Also Northeast Europeans were already mixed with the Uralic East Asians before Indo-European folks arrived there.
    So Indo-Europeans (Caucasoids) Indo-Europized native European-Uralic (Europoid) folks!

http://dienekes.blogspot.nl/2012/07/...ixture-in.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast