Who were and are the Albanians and their DNA

I don`t understand why you want to involve me in this discussion about your family?
Regarding your accusations about my nationalistic blinders, i invite you to search through my 1280 posts and quoting one single post.

Stop playing dumb. You know full well. Just rewind a few pages back and see. Maybe you have issues with communicating in English and can’t tell when you’re making those exact mistakes.

I have never ever seen one post where you weren’t being nationalistic or showing some sense of bias. Sometimes is human of course. You however do it all the time.

Stop playing dumb. You know full well. Just rewind a few pages back and see. Maybe you have issues with communicating in English and can’t tell when you’re making those exact mistakes.

I have never ever seen one post where you weren’t being nationalistic or showing some sense of bias. Sometimes is human of course. You however do it all the time.

Excuse me but i'm not here to teach people how a discussion in a forum works.

Excuse me but i'm not here to teach people how a discussion in a forum works.
I can tell your knowledge of English is pretty bad. Your response has little to do with my statements. Either that or you’re avoiding the obvious. Word of advise. Don’t mention me or respond to me at all. Not interested. Plenty of other Albanians here who can carry a civil conversation.

I can tell your knowledge of English is pretty bad. Your response has little to do with my statements. Either that or you’re avoiding the obvious. Word of advise. Don’t mention me or respond to me at all. Not interested. Plenty of other Albanians here who can carry a civil conversation.
Here we are not talking about my English. You made a concrete accusation. I'm simply asking you to quote at least one post here. Or you have to admit that i was right in my conclusion, because your refusal can be considered as an evidence in support of my conclusion.
Regarding your advice, i have to remind you that it is you who continue talking about me from several days without any reason. I can understand that you was under pressure but you have to resolve your problems with others not with me. So you can take back your advice and put it in your pocket.

Why are you two now fighting over nothing thru entire page?

Dibran, trying too hard is just making counter effect. Taking the breath sometimes, chilling out, is much more productive.
Obviously we consider you Albanian, nothing less then any other Albanian. But trying to idolize and excuse Albanians in every thread might be seen as a hard trying to prove something.

To be honest most Albanians are like cattle, respect to minority with manners, culture and education.

Delete Delete

Last edited:
Why are you two now fighting over nothing thru entire page?

Dibran, trying too hard is just making counter effect. Taking the breath sometimes, chilling out, is much more productive.
Obviously we consider you Albanian, nothing less then any other Albanian. But trying to idolize and excuse Albanians in every thread might be seen as a hard trying to prove something.

To be honest most Albanians are like cattle, respect to minority with manners, culture and education.
Idk what the hell you're going on about. Laberia insulted me and I am arguing with him. That issue does not concern you. Has nothing to do with being Albanian.

the official language of Kosovo is gheg albanian
and
the official langauge of Albania is tosk albanian
there is already both, you are just complicating the issue

The official language of Kosova is the same one as in Albania proper. Which means : standard Albanian, roughly 80 % Tosk ( subdialect-northern Tosk, area of Pogradec-Kolonje) and 20% Gheg.

After its independence Kosova adopted the same official language with Albania. You should see how ridiculous sounds the president and prime of Kosova while speeching in standardised language.

1) Read my previous posts.
2) Don't put in my mouth words that i have never said.
3) Read my previous posts.
A e kupton se çfarë je duke folur? Nuk na mjafton tufa e idiotëve me këtë Dibranin në krye që po na bëjnë qepaze por duhet të merremi dhe me gjëra të tilla të pakuptimta?

Diskutimi mes veti ndihmon nuk demton. E pame se ku na shpuri komunizmi ku askush nuk kish guxim per me diskutu

I think you’re completely missing his point. People like Fustan was instigating a flame war and insulting other Albanians. Derailing the subject matter. Also this thread is posted in the YDNA category. Meaning it is EXACTLY about YDNA of the Albanian people. You’re talking about language. There’s another section of the forum for that.
Okay, maybe you're right. I just read the title of this thread and it say otherwise. Maybe the title would be; What was and is the Albanian DNA or Y-dna either?
Definitely it isn't my fault if they put the wrong title on the top of the thread.

Standard Albanian has started to be applied in Albania, Kosovo, among Albanians of Macedonia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia) at the same time. The whole education system in those states/areas uses the standard since the begining and that has helped in boosting the communication among albanians and in use common literature as well as education/academic material. So, in Kosovo we speak our dialects in everyday use (same Albaninas of Montenegro& Macedonia they comunicate in their local dialect), but when we write and communicate in public/administration we try to stick to the standard. There is only one TV station in Kosovo that tries to use Gheg, but believe me they sound very stupid since our Gheg has changed due to the influence of standardization and no-one speaks like that anymore. Language is a loving thing constantly changing and having inluences of all sorts (not only of the standardization) so nothing is permanent.

nga foleja

I understand your point Trojet, and you are quite correct that there are 6 clades under Y33200* who have separated 1300 years ago.

My point was that............

I've been meaning to respond to this, but I've been kind of busy lately.

Just wanted to say that I do appreciate you coming here and trying to clarify what you meant. Although I may not agree with your analysis/theories all the time, I have to admit that you're one of the most fair users on that forum, from what I've seen. Also, as someone who probably has the most data and knowledge regarding J-L283, I have to say that your analysis in regards to Albanian haplotypes, etc, has been pretty fair and accurate, considering what's known.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to respond to this, but I've been kind of busy lately.

Just wanted to say that I do appreciate you coming here and trying to clarify what you meant. Although I may not agree with your analysis/theories all the time, I have to admit that you're one of the most fair users on that forum, from what I've seen. Also, as someone who probably has the most data and knowledge regarding J-L283, I have to say that your analysis in regards to Albanian haplotypes, etc, has been pretty fair and accurate, considering what's known.

Thank you, well most people there are of Slavic paternal origin, and I guess will not be so interested in paleo-Balkan peoples. In some cases there seems to exist "autochtonous" reasoning, where some people I guess would like to prove Bessi theory correct for the reason of Slavs being earlier than Albanians in Albania, so a biased POV. When I look at that I do it for the sake of Bessi tribe, or any other tribe.

Probably also because I'm half Serb (though the other half is just similar S.Slavs at odds with Serbs), I'm a bit more objective in these matters.:) Recently a Serb was confirmed to be S19928+ and by STR's he is surely in the same group as Gripshi, so likely these families have Albanian origin in medieval times. This particular branch is quite rare.

On the other hand Vasojevici clan for example have been basically proven to descend from Herzegovina. Unpublished results from Herzegovina in families descended from medieval Herzegovina Vlach tribe of Bobani belong to the same clade and also there is a specific clade related to Vasojevici (dys458=13) which occurs in Croatia and Slovenia. In addition to that in Vasojevici in 1485 surname Hercegovic was present and it was probably someone from Kosaca family, in whose service were also Bobani. Although Vasojevici don't descend from Bobani at some point in Medieval times they stem from the same source.

Kuchi are a different story. Aside from Bonkeq being clearly Albanian speaking in 1485, in older study where Albanians from Macedonia were sampled there were haplotypes with dys389=13-31 + dys388=13 (specific Kuchi value), in addition there was one dys389=13-31 + dys388=13 + dys19=14, there is one Serb from Kosovo who is not of Kuchi tribe but is surely related and he has this value of dys19=14. So among Albanians from Macedonia it seems both of these appear, unfortunately in this new study of Macedonia as far as I could tell they did not appear, (and in the older study there is no dys385). One Bjelopavlic haplotype did appear there though. Generally these Z16661 Kuchi haplotypes are rare in Albanians, and considering their closest cousin by STR's is a Bulgarian Z16661 they probably originate from there, in addition of Bulgaria having great diversity under Y3183.

Generally there are no good matches between Albanian and Bulgarian J-L283, even looking casually at Bulgarian samples including those from studies, it can be seen that basically dys19=14 almost don't exist there. The only exception might be dys385a=10, but these are rare in Albanians.

Tricky fact is that in the central Balkans there were Thracian tribes like Triballi who were later pushed eastwards by Illyrians and because of that it is very tricky to discern what is Illyrian/Triballian. I suspect Triballi must have been "heavy" with some V13 clades among others.

For example I think Berisha cluster might have originally Triballian origin, because it is very widespread in Kosovo Albanians but rare elsewhere, in Kosovo sample 14/117 are members of this cluster, other than that I just saw one from Tirana in Aromanian study. None in Arberesh study etc.. And they have some 3000 years distant Bulgarian. Generally in Bulgaria there is almost everything under Z5018, there are now 2 Albanian Z5018* clades and these are local I would guess.

Still if their cluster is Thracian originally, it probably was Illyrian later in antiquity once those areas were taken by Illyrians. Yes I know there is one Italian also there but he seems quite distant by STR's.

Regarding BY611, I don't think one can look at simply numbers of Z2705 in Albanians and Bulgarians and draw conclusions outright, because the Y33200 cluster is young, and additionally BY611 is not any less common in Bulgaria than it's distant cousin clade Y5587, and yet Y5587 is firmly entrenched there (TMRCA 4400 ypb), as I think will be BY250, because there are Aromanian and Bulgarian haplotypes which should belong to several clades under BY250, other than that single Pomak at present.
As I heard, this unusual Albanian haplotype turned out CTS9219* (and he looks very unusual) so that suggests this clade is indigenous in the West. He has no relation to some other CTS9219*, who I believe might have a relation with some Greek Z2103's, possibly indicating strong connection of CTS9219 with the Balkans.

About L283, I see there are new members of these older clades. You might know them? :)

Of course I know those members under these "older" clades of J-L283, as I was the one who suggested they get the YFull analysis :) Besides the ancient DNA, these new members will throw another challenge to the Sardinian hypothesis of J-L283 expansion.

Here is how the new basal J-L283 tree should look once their analysis is complete:
  • J-L283
  • YP29 (Sardinian + England. It would be interesting to see the TMRCA but I think likely Bronze Age. There is also two samples from Netherlands who are here from a scientific study)
  • Z627* (Istanbul Turkey, thinks may be originally from Greece)
  • Z600* (Dominican Republic)
  • Z585 (mostly Italians)
  • Z615* (England)
  • Z597,Z628
  • FGC64029 (Mediterranean + Lebanon)
  • Z2507 (BA Dalmatia, Balkans, etc)

Since the BA Armenian was negative for Z627, he should indeed be J-L283* (I think he had no call for YP29).
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is two Balkan samples between L283 and Z585 levels, as I explained at the other thread. Point is, the Sardinian hypothesis is strongly challenged, and combined with aDNA evidence I think J-L283 expanded from East to West during the Bronze Age, and not from Sardinia to East. IMO, these Sardinian samples suggest some Bronze Age migration from perhaps NW Balkans that was rich in J-L283 "early" clades and got isolated there.

So among Albanians from Macedonia it seems both of these appear, unfortunately in this new study of Macedonia as far as I could tell they did not appear

Can you let me know where I can see the STRs for this new study of Macedonia, as I haven't had a chance to look around.

Regarding BY611, I don't think one can look at simply numbers of Z2705 in Albanians and Bulgarians and draw conclusions outright, because the Y33200 cluster is young, and additionally BY611 is not any less common in Bulgaria than it's distant cousin clade Y5587, and yet Y5587 is firmly entrenched there (TMRCA 4400 ypb), as I think will be BY250, because there are Aromanian and Bulgarian haplotypes which should belong to several clades under BY250, other than that single Pomak at present.
As I heard, this unusual Albanian haplotype turned out CTS9219* (and he looks very unusual) so that suggests this clade is indigenous in the West. He has no relation to some other CTS9219*, who I believe might have a relation with some Greek Z2103's, possibly indicating strong connection of CTS9219 with the Balkans.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but the one Albanian sample with the relatively uncommon values that you were talking about earlier was confirmed Y33200, so it is not an earlier split, unless TMRCA would change taking him into consideration. So with these new results, what's your opinion on the Y33200 and BY611 origins?

I was looking for some data on Romanians, and I remember you mentioned a you found some haplotypes. Could you give me a source please?

Of course I know those members under these "older" clades of J-L283, as I was the one who suggested they get the YFull analysis :) Besides the ancient DNA, these new members will throw another challenge to the Sardinian hypothesis of J-L283 expansion.
Here is how the new basal J-L283 tree should look once their analysis is complete:
  • J-L283
  • YP29 (Sardinian + England. It would be interesting to see the TMRCA but I think likely Bronze Age. There is also two samples from Netherlands who are here from a scientific study)
  • Z627* (Istanbul Turkey, thinks may be originally from Greece)
  • Z600* (Dominican Republic)
  • Z585 (mostly Italians)
  • Z615* (England)
  • Z597,Z628
  • FGC64029 (Mediterranean + Lebanon)
  • Z2507 (BA Dalmatia, Balkans, etc)
Since the BA Armenian was negative for Z627, he should indeed be J-L283* (I think he had no call for YP29).
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is two Balkan samples between L283 and Z585 levels, as I explained at the other thread. Point is, the Sardinian hypothesis is strongly challenged, and combined with aDNA evidence I think J-L283 expanded from East to West during the Bronze Age, and not from Sardinia to East. IMO, these Sardinian samples suggest some Bronze Age migration from perhaps NW Balkans that was rich in J-L283 "early" clades and got isolated there.

Generally, I've noticed a tendency of many people to associate anything with "Steppe destroyers". It's kinda popular. :)
Regarding Armenian sample, actually when I was first told of him, I misunderstood him for the lone Georgian on ftdna. Only after you told did I look at his SNP's.

So either L283 expanded from the East with IE's, or it might have arrived in Italy during very Early BA, like it was likely the case with Minoan J2a's (migration from the East).
Generally the problem with Italian/Sardinian theory is this Armenian sample.
The problem with Steppe IE is low presence of J-L283 in the East, especially older clades. Also at Z2505/Z585 level there is currently a bottleneck of 900 years, that one has to explain somehow. The bulk of L283 expansion is after this bottleneck. So the IE expansion of anything at/under Z597/Z2507 is in no doubt.
If we assume that 3300 BC (their current TMRCA) there were two IE groups in NW Balkans and that one branch went to Italy/Sardinia, and the other stayed there and later massively expanded we still have a problem with what sort of an IE migration could that have been? We are talking about Sardinia here. So these Italian clades being so old, older than BB's who were first IE to visit Sardinia and they did it later, pose a problem here.

As I said in another thread, the find had Litzen ware, which could be tied to one BB element in Ljubljana culture (the other, earlier was Vucedol and likely unrelated), some archaeologists like Slovenian Paola Korošec have suggested further ties with Italy, specifically Remedello culture. We know today Remedello was not IE, BB was, but if she could see Remedello elements in BB element, it might be telling.

BB's themselves where often called non-IE earlier by many because of numerous deviations, today we know that was not the case.

I think it might be also very useful to look at the Norabak find (Armenian J-L283), and just as I got many clues from Vanik find, it might be possible to do the same.

If it's about Balkan matters, situation is quite clear for L283, this Posusje/Dinara culture had specific traits and I think it's not such a big problem to trace it further down, even to historical Illyrian times. More precisely to talk about specific tribes instead of vague "Illyrian". They were fond of fortifications and fixed settlements, something that was carried on by many subsequent cultures all the way to Illyrian times. For example neighboring Cetina culture people were nomadic. Also importantly L283 people practiced inhumation, whereas Cetina people practiced both inhumation and cremation.
Cetina is a very good fit for E-V13 as rafc suggested. Although it still cannot be excluded that Trypillia E-M78 was the ancestor of V13. Because I've seen some fairly certain PH1246 in studies from Moldavia, where still very few people are tested.

I would say that R1b colleagues of Dinara and Cetina were quite different, P312's for the first and Z2103's for the second, especially for example KMS67 (there are some Croatian haplotypes who look like KMS67). So in short Vucedol (whose offshoot is Cetina) was likely proto-proto-Greek, as was the opinion of some archaeologists.

About Illyrians, there is this Dinara L283 element which must have been very strong. However also Urnfield in late Bronze Age was important, and it seems actually that some younger V13 clades were almost certainly involved there alongside some isolated R1b-U152's that one can find today, plus residual Vucedol elements.

From my maternal side I should be R-U152>Y4355 and this one is a candidate for Urnfield Illyrian element.

About that guy from Turkey, who might be from Greece, well you might search his STR's if you know them, and if they are more specific, he might have close matches in Turkey or Greece.

Can you let me know where I can see the STRs for this new study of Macedonia, as I haven't had a chance to look around.

From YHRD.:) They were uploaded recently, I think Albanian samples even have 23 STR's, Turkish have just 17. So you can get them through trial & error, until you get all STR's, GATAH4 is +1 there ofc.

I can help you with some I was looking for, these are on YFiler ftdna order:
?? ?? ?? ?? 11-14 10 ?? 11 ?? ?? 14 20 ?? ?? 11 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 1/102
?? ?? ?? ?? 11-14 11 ?? 11 ?? ?? 14 20 ?? ?? 11 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 3/102
12 ?? ?? ?? 14-17 ?? ?? 11 ?? ?? 16 19 ?? ?? 9 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 4/102
12 ?? ?? ?? 14-16 ?? ?? 11 ?? ?? 16 19 ?? ?? 9 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 1/102
13 ?? ?? ?? 14-15 ?? ?? 11 ?? ?? 15 20 ?? ?? 10 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 3/102
13 24 ?? ?? 11-11 ?? ?? 13 ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 12 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 14/102
13 24 13 ?? 16-18 ?? 13 11 30 19 ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 1/102
13 24 13 ?? 16-18 ?? 13 11 30 20 ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 1/102
13 24 13 ?? 16-18 ?? 13 11 30 21 ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 1/102
13 24 13 ?? 16-18 ?? 13 11 30 18 ?? ?? 12 ?? ?? ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 2/102
12 ?? ?? ?? ??-?? ?? ?? 13 ?? ?? 15 ?? ?? ?? 12 ?? Macedonia [Albanian] 2/102

This is the one that fit's in Bjelopavlic cluster, 439=11, 460=10
13 24 13 10 16-18 11 13 11 30 16 14 20 11 15 10 21 Macedonia [Albanian]
481=22, 533=11, 460=10, 449=30, 576=17, 570=21

These are actually YFiler plus so they have more markers but only 23 from ftdna.

This thread has been viewed 698509 times.

Back