Who were and are the Albanians and their DNA

It may be just a mix up that happened in Kosove. In Tropoje they never considered themselves close to Thaçi. In fact they displaced some Thaç from their tribal lands as they expanded (perhaps some of the Z2705 Thaçi).

While there seems to be something between Sopi, Morina and Thaçi within that cluster.

Alright, makes sense.

One thing which took my attention randomly is a Georgian surname Berishvili, according to what i could search it's a surname derived from Orthodox Christianity, means son of a priest something. It could very well be how Berisha took this name, their ancestor could have been a Byzantine priest of some sort.

How much proto Albanian by percentage using the following lines on Rrenjet -
E-v13 (though some v13 may have arrived with Slavs)
R-z2103
J-l2823 (though some j-l283 may have arrived with Romans)
J-ft196614 or further upstream fgc12816

I haven't included R-pf7563 because according to ancient DNA it is ancient greek. Similar case for lines downstream of J-by94. I also haven't included lines downstream of I-ph2670 because looks like could be vlach in origin but can include if people ask for it.

Berat = 54.5%
Diber = 62.5%
Gjirokaster = 47.5%
Korce = 44%
Kosove = 69%
Kukes = 83%
Lezhe = 58%
Maqedoni = 59%
Shkoder = 60.5%
Vlore = 51%

Last edited:
It looks like this is a basarab/vlach line - https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y22894/

New Diber percentage - 60%
New Maqedoni percentage - 58.5%
To my knowledge none of the Basarabs have taken a WGS or BIG Y test to determine which subclade beyond Y22894 level they would form or are part of. Thus far under Y22894 there are two subclades having a most recent common ancestor who lived 1000 years ago (according to YFull). In Albanians the lineage itself is very prominent in the Korbi tribe whom you will find from North Eastern Albania to Dardanë and as far as Pçinjë. There is neither oral nor written tradition about supposedly Vlach descent of the Korbi tribe.

But it has a tmrca of 2000 years in Albania on yfull, would that qualify as part of proto Albanian?
The 2000 TMRCA on Yfull is shared with a Lebanese. On FTDNA that has more samples you see that there are also people from Italy, Turkey, Iraq and Greece (who's actually a Cypriot if I remember correctly). This is a typical distribution and TMRCA for an Anatolian or Levantine branch that moved to southern Europe during the Imperial Roman period.

For proto-Albanian, depends on what you mean. Most modern Albanian TMRCAs are from late Antiquity to Medieval period so it's not necessarily the case that a non-Balkan origin Y lineage can't be proto-Albanian or early Albanian.

The 2000 TMRCA on Yfull is shared with a Lebanese. On FTDNA that has more samples you see that there are also people from Italy, Turkey, Iraq and Greece (who's actually a Cypriot if I remember correctly). This is a typical distribution and TMRCA for an Anatolian or Levantine branch that moved to southern Europe during the Imperial Roman period.

For proto-Albanian, depends on what you mean. Most modern Albanian TMRCAs are from late Antiquity to Medieval period so it's not necessarily the case that a non-Balkan origin Y lineage can't be proto-Albanian or early Albanian.

That's what I mean, I think this line had an early history in Albanians as it widespread from Vlore to north Macedonian Albanians. Sharing with Lebanese does not mean this line has to come from there, could be other way round as well as there is plenty of Balkan ydna in Italy, Cyprus, Lebanon but yes Anatolia to Balkan during early Roman era is probably more likely for this one

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 693872 times.

Back