What's your favourite Romance Language?

What's your favourite Romance Language?

• Total voters
French. I don't know why but I think Italian sounds annoying (sorry guys!). Spanish is ok but I prefer French. I haven't heard anyone speaking Romanian so I don't really know what it sounds like.

As far as I know, Latin is not a Romance language. The languages that flow from (vulgar) Latin are Romance. But if Latin is acceptable, I'd choose Latin. Sounds so cool in liturgies at least :D. But French would still be a close second in this case.

Italian and French for me too. :)

Great minds and all that ! :LOL:

I actually like Sicilian also..[ which I know is different from Italian....]

Last edited:
French. I don't know why but I think Italian sounds annoying (sorry guys!). Spanish is ok but I prefer French. I haven't heard anyone speaking Romanian so I don't really know what it sounds like.

As far as I know, Latin is not a Romance language. The languages that flow from (vulgar) Latin are Romance. But if Latin is acceptable, I'd choose Latin. Sounds so cool in liturgies at least :D. But French would still be a close second in this case.

Boss I seem to remember you saying French sounded "gay" :)

Italian speech sounds like a song :)
yes, maybe standard italian, but try the true italian, wich is regional, and our dialects.. Many don't seem songs.. Try tuscan regional way of speaking that is often harsh; the southern italians dialect of campanian-apulian derivation that can sound guttural, some northern italian dialect are are more more musical, but then again no, bergamasc sound not musical,
standard italian in quotidian Life is only spoken from central latium to the po plain with the exception of triveneto and many areas in piedmont; in all this other areas they speak its own languages-dialects true languages

yes, maybe standard italian, but try the true italian, wich is regional, and our dialects.. Many don't seem songs.. Try tuscan regional way of speaking that is often harsh; the southern italians dialect of campanian-apulian derivation that can sound guttural, some northern italian dialect are are more more musical, but then again no, bergamasc sound not musical,
standard italian in quotidian Life is only spoken from central latium to the po plain with the exception of triveneto and many areas in piedmont; in all this other areas they speak its own languages-dialects true languages

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Romance-lg-classification-en.png

link above is another format.

- note , Catalan falls in with occitan and not Spanish

- Romansh, ladin and friuli are tied in with FP ( Franco-provenzal)

- western romance branch and a southern romance branch and ...also a Balkan branch

- venetian and istrian are separated from the other northern Italian branches

- there is even the very old dalmatian which is extinct now

Yeah, so? gays are very cool :)

I thought we were talking about languages here, not people.
In an earlier post you said you did not like French, "because it sounds gay". I was merely wondering, in an attempt at conversation, why you now liked it.
No matter....I`m no longer interested :)

I thought we were talking about languages here, not people.
In an earlier post you said you did not like French, "because it sounds gay". I was merely wondering, in an attempt at conversation, why you now liked it.
No matter....I`m no longer interested :)

Haha I am sure I didn't say I dislike French. Seriously, I may have said it sounds gay (as in colourful) and it does but that doesn't at all mean I dislike it!!! In fact, I am sure I said I am studying French and am very interested in French culture in general.

What I would most like to know about the posted map: Romance languages in Europe, is why the: languages d'oil HAVEN'T been split up into Parisian French, Walloon, Picard, Belgium French, Champenoise and Lorrain and so forth, like how the Langues d'oc have been split into sundry hued Occitan, Gascon, Arpitan and Catalan-Valecencian?

Seems like the crafty craftsmen behind this sneaky map want to make folks believe the only Romance language in Belgium is standard French! Either this or they are some tinpot outfit who are downright utterly unfit to have anything to do with linguistics.

Maybe the Walloon is a little different from other dialects of the langue d'oil, but otherwise it's very similar.
The langue d'oil is essentially an old French, still spoken in the French countryside, but which will disappear soon!
Rising regionalism in France in the twentieth century gave the idea that the different dialects were regional languages: Norman, Gallo, Lorrain ect ..
But this is nonsense ...

To the French speakers, this is in piedomontese dialect, do you like it, find many simlarities with your language?

Last edited:
To the French speakers, this is in piedomontese dialect, do you like it, find many simlarities with your language?

I do not think the Piedmontese resembles to the French ..
Perhaps Occitan
For me, Occitan is looks like Spanish ...
youtube.com/watch?v=IqJk8hJwu-Y (*)

The French words are etymologically Latin, but I think, phonetically, does not look like the other Romance languages..

(*) Je ne peux pas mettre de lien car je n'ai pas encore poster 10 messages: c'est trop nul!

Portuguese is disgusting actually lol my bad, te best is italian, the rest I don't like

I do not think the Piedmontese resembles to the French ..
Perhaps Occitan
For me, Occitan is looks like Spanish ...
youtube.com/watch?v=IqJk8hJwu-Y (*)

The French words are etymologically Latin, but I think, phonetically, does not look like the other Romance languages..

(*) Je ne peux pas mettre de lien car je n'ai pas encore poster 10 messages: c'est trop nul!

i think northern italian dialects resemble more french d'oil than castillan spanish

althought yes, more langue d oc
the piedmontese i posted is near franco provenzal

this one is in Genoese, similar to costal provenzal maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlukK5-WZN8

French can be very similar to italian in most cases; I found it easy to learn FrenchFrench

Maybe the Walloon is a little different from other dialects of the langue d'oil, but otherwise it's very similar.
The langue d'oil is essentially an old French, still spoken in the French countryside, but which will disappear soon!
Rising regionalism in France in the twentieth century gave the idea that the different dialects were regional languages: Norman, Gallo, Lorrain ect ..
But this is nonsense ...

But one could say that Gascon, Occitan, Catalan and Arpitan tungs are nearer to eachother within the Ocian club than Walloon is to standard French within the Oilian club. Anyway, I think somewhere deep down inside, you acknowledge that mapmakers have mismatched up the Walloon tung with standard Oilly French. PS has a French speaker can you understand Normandy Norman?

I personally am fond of French.

What I would most like to know about the posted map: Romance languages in Europe, is why the: languages d'oil HAVEN'T been split up into Parisian French, Walloon, Picard, Belgium French, Champenoise and Lorrain and so forth, like how the Langues d'oc have been split into sundry hued Occitan, Gascon, Arpitan and Catalan-Valecencian?

Catalan/Valencian, Occitan or even Gascon in Aran have old standardized versions used officially in institutions, literature, education, in the media and in the street. Catalan and Occitan have been regarded as different languages already since the Middle Ages.

Can we say the same about all the languages d'oil? Some of them, like Champenois, are hardly spoken, and speakers of them don't even regard them as languages, but dialects or patois.

But one could say that Gascon, Occitan, Catalan and Arpitan tungs are nearer to eachother within the Ocian club than Walloon is to standard French within the Oilian club. Anyway, I think somewhere deep down inside, you acknowledge that mapmakers have mismatched up the Walloon tung with standard Oilly French. PS has a French speaker can you understand Normandy Norman?

Catalan, Gascon and Occitan belong to one same group, but Arpitan? Not really. Unless we talk about the Gallo-Romance group and then include Arpitan but also the Oil and Rhaeto-Padanian (North Italian) languages in it.

The best sounding Romance language in my opinion is French.

• italian ;)

This thread has been viewed 62860 times.

Back