Politics Will Ukraine join EU?

Unfortunately it seems not possible. In my opinion, Russia because of its vital interests in the region would never give permission for this.
Russia is probably 10-20 years away from entering EU itself.

Should Ukraine be a member of EU?

Ukraine was about to sign a cooperation agreement with EU which has been suspended by Ukrainian parliament because pressure by Russia eventhough the Ukranian citizens demand the continuation of the process.

http://irglobal.blogspot.com/

Why this topic seems to not exist in this forum? In Ukraine there is ongoing wave of protest against decisions of government, polish media are full of reports from there.
Maybe someday Ukraine will take part in some European structures, but it depends on what will happen in next few days. I hope that these peaceful demonstrations in Kiev will push Ukrainian government to withdraw from wrong decisions. In my opinion we should support Ukrainian efforts in integration with EU.
Here is BBC report:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25290959

Because of the redrawing of the Russian/Ukranian border in the 1950s, there are a lot of ethnic Russians in the Ukraine, so it will always be divided on the question of whether to lean toward Russia or toward the west. And as long as the leader of Russia is a strong nationalist like Putin, Russia will not agree to the Ukraine entering the EU. I don't think the EU wants to poke the Russian bear in the eye with a stick.

Don't se why they shouldn't be considered. The Russian relationship makes things rather problematic, however.

Ukrainian-Russian ties are very old. Foundation of the first russian state was in today Ukraine (Kievan Rus).
In 18th century, part of Ukraine was conquered by tsarist Russia (New Russia). Poland is the other historic big player in traditional opposition to Russia, because another part of Ukraine belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian empire.
The ukrainian population does not seem completely united with regard to Russia and EU/Poland. Both colonial players of course try to suggest otherwise in their media. Catholic and Orthodox religion divides Ukraine even more.

In current policy it doesn’t matter if Crimea was or is settled by Russians or not. Most important thing is as I think that merger of East and West Germany was part of greater agreement that between Germany and Russia there will be buffer zone, part of it will be under German and part under Russian influence. And Ukraine is that Russian part. In my opinion helping Ukraine in becoming independent nation eventually will bring Russia closer to the rest of Europe.
Every central European country reformed and went thru shock of Russian sanctions, and now it is time to the same for Ukraine. Ukrainian case exceeded expectations of Ukrainian, Russian and EU politicians, no one knew that situation is so serious. EU side thought that Eastern Partnership did their work to convince Ukraine to sign cooperation agreement, Russians thought that Ukraine will join custom union with them, Ukrainians want to integrate with EU but their government wants opposite that is how to get civil unrest.

Russian minority plays secondary roles in this case, just look at Estonia and Latvia 25% and 27% respectively are Russians in Ukraine it is only 17%.

Edit:
ElHorsto
First Rus state, not first Russian state.

I guess it's pretty much stupid poll. The Ukraine will never be a member of EU coz the Ukraine is too big and too poor. Germany is not eager to put one more bagger on its pay roll.

Even if Ukraine will never join EU it will benefit more from free trade by joining European Economic Area and from becoming part of Schengen Area.

You cannot even imagine what is happening in Ukraine. It looks like a real war in the streets in Kiev. Crowds of people try to fight for the rights. But Ukraine will never join EU, because it is a very poor country.

- Yes of course! Right after as Turkey joins!

- And when Turkey will join EU?

- Never
laughing.gif
lmao.gif

What history teaches us is to never say never.

Last edited:
I think yes, maybe they enter togheter balkan country.

Your opinion. Will Ukraine join EU?
Your country is a potential important power country of east europe (maybe the second after the russia).
The problem of your country (you know that) is comunism and corruption, if you solve this two problem and you enter in a phase "democracy", i'm certainly you enter in ue and be a second power in east europe.
The problem of poor is connected to comunist and corruption.

I thînk so and I hardly wish it !!!!!!

i know a lot of ukrainian and most of them feel European, believe me !!!!

i think into 10-15 years they will be into Europe...you can't change the willing of all the population and Ianoukovitch will understand it soon...

- Yes of course! Right after as Turkey joins!

- And when Turkey will join EU?

- Never
laughing.gif
lmao.gif

I still think this is the most likely scenario. Unless the person who eventually replaces Putin is not another strongman but someone with a real commitment to democracy, someone who wants Russia to join the EU, and who's able to convince Russians living in both Russia and the Ukraine that the present Russian/Ukraine border should stay where it is forever. Which is very, very unlikely, IMO. Russians still remember that the eastern Ukraine was part of Russia until Khrushchev made it part of the Ukraine (and they don't think it's relevant where the Ukrainian/Russian border was in previous centuries). And Russians still seem to want to be ruled by strongmen who won't want the EU going any further east. When were Russians ever afraid to cut off their noses to spite their faces?

Why do you think Ukraine wants to get into EU?
What was the voting in the Parliament anyway?

I still think this is the most likely scenario. Unless the person who eventually replaces Putin is not another strongman but someone with a real commitment to democracy, someone who wants Russia to join the EU, and who's able to convince Russians living in both Russia and the Ukraine that the present Russian/Ukraine border should stay where it is forever. Which is very, very unlikely, IMO. Russians still remember that the eastern Ukraine was part of Russia until Khrushchev made it part of the Ukraine (and they don't think it's relevant where the Ukrainian/Russian border was in previous centuries).

But the population of east Ukraine is truly more pro-russian, thus the country could eventually break-up where one part could join EU. I think for now Janukovich just tries to gain profit by playing games with both West and Russia because Ukraine is on the brink of bankruptcy. There are not two but three parties involved.

And Russians still seem to want to be ruled by strongmen who won't want the EU going any further east. When were Russians ever afraid to cut off their noses to spite their faces?

It's not the EU but NATO. Putin is actually pro-EU and very western oriented (see former Paris-Berlin-Moscow axis), in the tradition of Peter the Great. The strongman just insists on the fulfillment of the 2+4 treaty.

But the population of east Ukraine is truly more pro-russian, thus the country could eventually break-up where one part could join EU. I think for now Janukovich just tries to gain profit by playing games with both West and Russia because Ukraine is on the brink of bankruptcy. There are not two but three parties involved.

It's not the EU but NATO. Putin is actually pro-EU and very western oriented (see former Paris-Berlin-Moscow axis), in the tradition of Peter the Great. The strongman just insists on the fulfillment of the 2+4 treaty.

Based on my conversations with Ukranian immigrants to Canada, I doubt that many Ukranians would be willing to let the eastern half of their country rejoin Russia, even though it would probably be best for all concerned, and such a change might make it possible for the Ukraine to join the EU without too much trouble from Russia - that would really depend on what was happening in Russia. And I suspect that the Russians would like to have a free trade zone with the EU and close ties with Germany and France without formal EU membership, because formal EU membership would require further political integration, including perhaps eventual NATO membership. When the Germans and French think about what it would mean to have the Russians in NATO, or even in the EU in a political sense, I suspect they'd agree to a more informal arrangement on economic issues rather than having Russia in the EU. Just my opinion based on a view from a distance - I could be wrong.

April 21, 1986| Associated Press
Disband NATO, Warsaw Pact, Gorbachev Says

"In a speech to workers in East Berlin, Gorbachev said Moscow is ready for 'a simultaneous disbanding of the Warsaw Pact and NATO, or, for a start, their military organizations.' The Soviets have previously said they were prepared to scrap the Warsaw Pact if the West dissolved the North Atlantic Treaty Organization military alliance. The offers have been viewed with skepticism in the West."

And he had done it 1/4 century ago. Yet we still have NATO eating up space across Europe and getting it's warheads closer to the Russian border.
So much about peace efforts...

This thread has been viewed 88715 times.

Back