Traditional music Italian Folk/traditional Songs (also in dialects) and Dances

Group from the Ligurian Apennines southwest of Piacenza (border between Emilia and Liguria) con Elisa Pisotti.
"Le Undici di Sera": Eleven o'clock at night...Come away with me.

The phenotype is strong. :)

Folk song from Valle D'Aosta in northwest Italy: Poesia-Ciansunier

We were 19, or there were 19 of us: the 19 boys killed by a suicide bombing attack in Iraq. Sort of a "new" folk song, I'd say. Sung by Alpini in a mountain town near Piacenza, Emilia:

I had blue skies
In my gaze and in my heart
With the dreams of one's twenties
And your sincere love
That day I left
In a soldier's uniform
With the flame and the tricolor
But I never came back

We were nineteen
All of them in Nassiriya
To defend peace
And bring democracy
But one day the sun exploded
For fanatical madness
And my light went out
And my soul flew away
And my light went out
And my soul flew away

Here in front of my bride
Wrapped inside a flag
My soul rests
To make a clear sunrise
The President bowed
While they play the silence
And the applause of the people
It goes up in the sky to me

We were nineteen
All of them in Nassiriya
To defend peace
And bring democracy
But one day the sun exploded
For fanatical madness
And my light went out
And my soul flew away
And my light went out
And my soul flew away

In the sand under the sun
A beautiful flower will be born
With blood and pain
For a word, "freedom"
With blood and pain
For a word, "freedom"

Come little one; how beautiful is love, from the Ligurian mountains. What a different sensibility compared to the, imo, brutality and violence against women celebrated in so many songs, or just the total lack of human emotion, and the treating of other people as objects for sexual gratification.

It's still played at local sagre and dances. Round and round the floor, always counter-clockwise. :) It makes my heart hurt.

It was a different world, one where you courted by dancing the whole night through, and honey-sweet words were poured into your ears, not obscenities.

I was born into the wrong world, but I thank God at least I wasn't born twenty-five or thirty years ago, because it's just gotten worse, and worse.

Last edited:
Tuscany: La Quadriglia, known in some areas as the "Quadrille", and in the U.S. as "Square Dancing". All of them date to a European dance from the 18th century.

I wish my people loved the pifero less; it's almost as bad as the bagpipes! :)

La Mazurka del Musetta...

La zona dell'appennino detta delle "Quattro Province", dove nel raggio di pochi chilometri si intersecano anche quattro regioni (Emilia, Lombardia, Liguria e Piemonte) ha conservato un patrimonio comune di canti, balli musiche e strumenti musicali (piffero, musa, oltre alla fisarmonica) mutuato nel corso dei secoli e scandito dalle occasioni di ricorrenze, delle sagre e delle feste comandate.
<br>

… back to basic, … Taranta ancient rite:

From Emilia's mountains: Let's go up the mountain...

La Ciuccia Nera
… Salentino soldier in Libya at the end of WW2, … left behind, … traveling saga, … from Libya to Salento :)

La Ciuccia Nera
… Salentino soldier in Libya at the end of WW2, … left behind, … traveling saga, … from Libya to Salento :)

I understood 5% of the words, but I appreciate the sentiment. :)

Donna Lombarda

Every province, maybe every town, has its own version of this. Beautifully sung, though.

Elvis Presley singing Santa Lucia. He sang a lot of Italian songs beautifully in his shows and on his albums, but I'm partial to this one.

This thread has been viewed 179450 times.

Back