Best lead guitars of the world

hangman

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Irish
I think better lead guitars around the world are anglo-saxons. What do ya think about it?

I think that there is no obvious correlation between guitar-playing ability and ethnicity. You seriously think that there is? Evidence please.

I think that there is no obvious correlation between guitar-playing ability and ethnicity. You seriously think that there is? Evidence please.

Well all around the world better lead guitars are white, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Billy Gibbons...Maybe is a cultural stuff but...what dayya think? Bets regards.

Well all around the world better lead guitars are white, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Billy Gibbons...Maybe is a cultural stuff but...what dayya think? Bets regards.

Nah, it's all due to cultural bias. That is, white people are more likely to be good rock guitarists because white people are more likely to be rock guitarists. Jimi Hendrix is an obvious counterexample to the idea that Anglo-Saxons are better guitarists. I also have a few personal favorite guitarists who are Japanese, like Wata of Boris.

I think that Slash would be another guitarist who would counter Hangman's rather bigoted argument. And how would you explain the excellent classical guitarists of Mexico and Spain?

BTW Van Halen would not come under the category of a good guitarist, you'd find him under the joke category.

BTW Van Halen would not come under the category of a good guitarist, you'd find him under the joke category.
he was one of the best rock guitarist at the beginning of hard rock/glam rock era (at the end of classical rock period). and he was one of the most populer one especially after the song "beat it" with MJ.

i like Yngwie Malmsteen (swiss), steve vai and joe satriani (US), santana (brasil), kirk hammet of metallica (the Philippines (?)).

i think it needs a big music industry and therefore money to create a guitar giant, for this reason most of the popular musicians are polished in NY or in LA. additionally, good studios, instruments etc. also needs money, and the anglo/saxons have money.

I'll agree that it takes money to create any giant in the music industry barbarian, and even more money added for touring and promotion which probably has much to do with the lack of musicians on the world scene from many countries, which is unfortunate but we'll have to agree to disagree over van Halen!

Whom do you mean by Anglo/Saxons?

Nah, it's all due to cultural bias. That is, white people are more likely to be good rock guitarists because white people are more likely to be rock guitarists. Jimi Hendrix is an obvious counterexample to the idea that Anglo-Saxons are better guitarists. I also have a few personal favorite guitarists who are Japanese, like Wata of Boris.

Yeah!...you're are right. Jimi was great.

I think that Slash would be another guitarist who would counter Hangman's rather bigoted argument. And how would you explain the excellent classical guitarists of Mexico and Spain?

I don't like Latin guitar players...on Van Halen I'm out of keeping with you. He's a very talented and is among the all-time great lead guitars around the world.

You got it perfectly right there... you named the really good ones that always stand apart from all the others.

John McLaughlin and Robert Fripp arguably both qualify as 'Anglo-Saxons' [though McLaughlin has some Irish ancestry as well as Yorkshire roots], and either are easily as good as Gilmour, Page, Van Halen or Gibbons. They are certainly more experimental and thus less well-known. Most guitarists with a good knowledge of contemporary music would be in awe of McLaughlin's peerless virtuosity. Have a listen to any of his solo work, or work with ensembles like Shakti and Mahavishnu Orchestra. He makes Clapton sound pedestrian in comparison.

My fav would be Jimmy page. Rather for its creativity than for its guitar abilities. Some people say he invented Heavy metal with Led Zepplin II.

Last edited:
knofler would be up there

This thread has been viewed 15770 times.

Back