Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Would you accept Israel as an EU member?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 16.28%
  • Yes, but when the war with Palestine and the hate between them would be ended

8 18.60%
  • No

28 65.12%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you accept Israel as a member of the EU?

1 members found this post helpful.

No!
    Terrorism is a stumbling block

Ethnic group
    German Germanic

2 members found this post helpful.
    No way. I think Israel is too different from us in the EU, like Turkey. And they would be another countries who get money from Germany then. Countries I never want to see inside the EU. And what is geographically outside of Europe should not become a member of the EUROPEAN Union... my opinion. I'm not even sure if I want to see Germany in it or have the €, but that has other reasons.

Ethnic group
    Belgian/ German

No. Simply because Israel is not part of Europe. A member of the EU should be part of Europe.

Ethnic group
    Silvan Elf

No.

Last time I checked Israel was between ME stated,thus not in Europe.

I would accept them if I had a voice in it, they're very industrious and innovative people. But I doubt it is ever going to happen since there is other countries physically in the way that are not EU; unless they also accept Turkey and Lebanon.

Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

The EU needs to contract not expand. Israelis in the ME and should not be considered for EU membership.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

Ethnic group
    Catalan

Short answer is: No.

Hope someday Palestine becomes free, even if some of them don't think the same way regarding Catalonia.

Not accepting them because they're physically in ME is not really a reason, it's like saying :"I don't like you because you're over there..", which doesn't make any sense. Is the real reason something more specific?

Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde

Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek

I believe that Israel should join the EU. However, not in it's current state. Israel should only send an application for membership once it stops the illegal colonization of Palestine, tears down the walls dividing Palestine and Israel, stops persecuting the Palestinians, and give The Nation of Palestine it's full, lawful, and true independence. They also need to give the Arabs, and Muslims in Israel the full rights that they deserve.

After this occurs, they should be able to join, and I think they would be a good member of it; once they reform.

However, whether this is to occur is unlikely, but one can dream.

Short answer: No. Is Israel the European country?

No, it would be easier for Israel to become the 51th USA state. I'm joking of course, but not too much.

Yes, if we like to have a bigger Roman Empire than the last time.

Better not. Only geographic Europe should be in the UE. Not bigger.

The UE already have enough problems with the current countries.

Why not? Together with Turkey, Israel can also be accepted to the EU. Today Israel has a developped industry, especially technological investments. Many of these are being used in Turkey not only in military but also in agriculture.

http://irglobal.blogspot.com/

Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde

Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    No, simply because it is not in Europe. If we started accepting countries where people can claim European descent, why not accept all American countries, South Africa, Australia and NZ ? That just wouldn't be a European Union anymore. I am not saying a greater union won't happen in the (not so near) future, but that's another debate.
    Exactly, why not? I am an American of European descent. My grandmother came from Ireland, and my grandfather from Greece. Though I have American nationality, I feel European. I share European values. I identify with the culture, and I have more in common with Europeans than with other people.

It would still be "a European Union", as if you have European decent you are "European".

My point is that why not consider the Anglophone countries of the world for EU membership. Why not consider Hispanophone countries like Argentina? This countries would help the EU expand, but would also complement the EU; due to their shared culture.

The precedent has already been set with Cyprus. Though in Asia, it is European culturally. Countries such as Canada are European culturally. Look at New Zealand, their government is similar to Scandanavian countries, they speak a European language (English), and share a head of state with a Europeam country (The UK). Same with countries such as Australia, and Canada (though their governments are much more similar to the British government than Scandanavian governments).

And regarding Israel. I believe that once they obey international law, give the Palestinians back their rightful land and their rights, and reform their own country, that; they should then consider EU membership. And if they did that, I would support their membership.

As to what another poster said regarding Turkey and Lebanon; Turkey is partially in Europe, and genetically; Turks are Europeans. I think that it is likely that Turkey will join the EU.

Lebanon has no way in hell. Maybe in 50 years or so. But I highly doubt it.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboygcp View Post
    I believe that Israel should join the EU. However, not in it's current state. Israel should only send an application for membership once it stops the illegal colonization of Palestine, tears down the walls dividing Palestine and Israel, stops persecuting the Palestinians, and give The Nation of Palestine it's full, lawful, and true independence. They also need to give the Arabs, and Muslims in Israel the full rights that they deserve.

After this occurs, they should be able to join, and I think they would be a good member of it; once they reform.

However, whether this is to occur is unlikely, but one can dream.
    "Israel should only send an application for membership once it stops the illegal colonization of Palestine"

Fair enough!

"
    tears down the walls dividing Palestine and Israel,"

Last time they did that they got suicide bombers blowing themselves up in buses in Tel Aviv.

"
    stops persecuting the Palestinians"

Persecuting how?

"
    and give The Nation of Palestine it's full, lawful, and true independence."

Fair enough! And it's willing to, as long as Palestine recognizes Israel as a Jewish state, which it time and time again refused to do so.

"
    They also need to give the Arabs, and Muslims in Israel the full rights that they deserve."

How can you give someone something they ALREADY HAVE? Israeli Arabs have the right to vote, they have representatives in the Israeli Knesset, they have laws defending themselves from discrimination. IN FACT, Moshe Katzav, the former Israeli president who was sentenced to jail for rape, was judged by an ARAB judge.

"
    However, whether this is to occur is unlikely, but one can dream."

As soon as the Palestinian authority be willing to recognize Israel as a Jewish state, very quickly, however, I doubt THAT will ever happen.

It should be noted that Israel is the only country in Asia that recognizes gay rights.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by nurset View Post
    No!
    Terrorism is a stumbling block
    And firing rockets targeting civilians, and blowing yourself up in buses aiming to kill civilians isn't terrorism?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123