Politics Would you accept Israel as a member of the EU?

No, it would be easier for Israel to become the 51th USA state. I'm joking of course, but not too much.

Yes, if we like to have a bigger Roman Empire than the last time.

Better not. Only geographic Europe should be in the UE. Not bigger.

The UE already have enough problems with the current countries.

Why not? Together with Turkey, Israel can also be accepted to the EU. Today Israel has a developped industry, especially technological investments. Many of these are being used in Turkey not only in military but also in agriculture.

http://irglobal.blogspot.com/

No, simply because it is not in Europe. If we started accepting countries where people can claim European descent, why not accept all American countries, South Africa, Australia and NZ ? That just wouldn't be a European Union anymore. I am not saying a greater union won't happen in the (not so near) future, but that's another debate.

Exactly, why not? I am an American of European descent. My grandmother came from Ireland, and my grandfather from Greece. Though I have American nationality, I feel European. I share European values. I identify with the culture, and I have more in common with Europeans than with other people.

It would still be "a European Union", as if you have European decent you are "European".

My point is that why not consider the Anglophone countries of the world for EU membership. Why not consider Hispanophone countries like Argentina? This countries would help the EU expand, but would also complement the EU; due to their shared culture.

The precedent has already been set with Cyprus. Though in Asia, it is European culturally. Countries such as Canada are European culturally. Look at New Zealand, their government is similar to Scandanavian countries, they speak a European language (English), and share a head of state with a Europeam country (The UK). Same with countries such as Australia, and Canada (though their governments are much more similar to the British government than Scandanavian governments).

And regarding Israel. I believe that once they obey international law, give the Palestinians back their rightful land and their rights, and reform their own country, that; they should then consider EU membership. And if they did that, I would support their membership.

As to what another poster said regarding Turkey and Lebanon; Turkey is partially in Europe, and genetically; Turks are Europeans. I think that it is likely that Turkey will join the EU.

Lebanon has no way in hell. Maybe in 50 years or so. But I highly doubt it.

I believe that Israel should join the EU. However, not in it's current state. Israel should only send an application for membership once it stops the illegal colonization of Palestine, tears down the walls dividing Palestine and Israel, stops persecuting the Palestinians, and give The Nation of Palestine it's full, lawful, and true independence. They also need to give the Arabs, and Muslims in Israel the full rights that they deserve.

After this occurs, they should be able to join, and I think they would be a good member of it; once they reform.

However, whether this is to occur is unlikely, but one can dream.

"Israel should only send an application for membership once it stops the illegal colonization of Palestine"

Fair enough!

"
tears down the walls dividing Palestine and Israel,"

Last time they did that they got suicide bombers blowing themselves up in buses in Tel Aviv.

"
stops persecuting the Palestinians"

Persecuting how?

"
and give The Nation of Palestine it's full, lawful, and true independence."

Fair enough! And it's willing to, as long as Palestine recognizes Israel as a Jewish state, which it time and time again refused to do so.

"
They also need to give the Arabs, and Muslims in Israel the full rights that they deserve."

How can you give someone something they ALREADY HAVE? Israeli Arabs have the right to vote, they have representatives in the Israeli Knesset, they have laws defending themselves from discrimination. IN FACT, Moshe Katzav, the former Israeli president who was sentenced to jail for rape, was judged by an ARAB judge.

"
However, whether this is to occur is unlikely, but one can dream."

As soon as the Palestinian authority be willing to recognize Israel as a Jewish state, very quickly, however, I doubt THAT will ever happen.

It should be noted that Israel is the only country in Asia that recognizes gay rights.

No!
Terrorism is a stumbling block

And firing rockets targeting civilians, and blowing yourself up in buses aiming to kill civilians isn't terrorism?

This thread has been viewed 55112 times.

Back