Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Are the EU entry rules too low? (World Vision related)

Are the EU entry rules too low? (World Vision related)

I've always thought that the EU entry rules and standards were too low for countries to join, but what I saw right now made my jaw drop. I was searching the world vision website to see how much it would cost to sponsor a child (I'm going to cancel my greenpeace donations cause they don't do anything), with the idea I would find a child somwhere in africa, but you can actually sponsor a child from Romania and Albania! Albania is a pretty backwater country but Romania? arn't they in the EU already? what standards does the EU have nowadays?

http://www.worldvision.org/content.n...ft_txt_Romania

MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b

Ethnic group
    Tuscan-Italian-(European)

we should wait more before opening to new countries.
    with the exception of iceland and croatia who have a rich economy.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Elias2 View Post
    I've always thought that the EU entry rules and standards were too low for countries to join, but what I saw right now made my jaw drop. I was searching the world vision website to see how much it would cost to sponsor a child (I'm going to cancel my greenpeace donations cause they don't do anything), with the idea I would find a child somwhere in africa, but you can actually sponsor a child from Romania and Albania! Albania is a pretty backwater country but Romania? arn't they in the EU already? what standards does the EU have nowadays?
    First of all, what does Greenpeace have to do with children's rights ? They fight to protect the environment and animals, not human beings.

To the point now. Romania is indeed a poor country (poorer than Turkey for example). Some rural areas are much poorer than Bucharest, so if you look at the bottom end of the scale you will find abject poverty. But the same is true in many rich countries too, including the USA, where 14% of the population lives under the poverty line and hundreds of thousands of people are destitute. (=> see Poverty in the United States).

One of the main reason for allowing Romania to join the EU is to help the country improve economically and to pressure it to reform its badly corrupted political system.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

^ lynx ^

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    One of the main reason for allowing Romania to join the EU is to help the country improve economically and to pressure it to reform its badly corrupted political system.