The concep of a "mediterranean" race/mediterranean genetics

I personally disagree with the figures if the focus is autosomal DNA. Ethnic Catalans are surely, by far, the most Paleolithic due to the huge I2a1a* influence not reflected in the haplogroup frequencies. We have discussed this many times in different threads why Sardinia has a lot of I2a1a*, and why Catalonia shows such huge percent for R1b (recent replacements). I must say considering the present haplogroup frequencies, the figure for Catalans it's "quite" generous, but not enough in my opinion.

Sardinians are overestimated in regards for their Paleolithic ancestry. Several admixture experiments showed they have many influences, as for example the v3 run and the Euro7 Calculator . They are Isolated and very homogeneous due to this, but it doesn't mean anything else: running a bunch of cousins produces similar effects in genetic plots for what I have read.

To make a sumary: the most Paleolithic people you can find in Europe is, almost sure, in the Southwest and in the Northernmost, which has been curiously excluded in the paper. These are the places where it's likely to find reasonable influence of haplogroup I: I2a's in the Southwest (specially Northeast Iberia, but also substantial in the rest) and I1 in the Northernmost (although other types could fit).

And about the so called Mediterranean, I agree that it's more a phenotypic idea than a genetic category. I prefer to use Southern European or Southwest/Southeast when refering to genetics. I find it very useful when this has been done, and also the same division in Northern Europe produces good results.

I've never heard of anyone living in the Mediterranean, I think only fish live. What continent are we talking about?
Firm land that can be walked on, only Jesus Christ walked through the sea.

BO323XQ.png

Here are my top 5 samples...

The C6 Mediterranean cluster is predominately Anatolian_N, with about 1/5 CHG, and 1/5 WHG/EHG.

There are some small traces of Natufian for some samples.

At least according to the coordinates I made for this analysis:
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...ia-by-Eupedia-Team/page11?p=615220#post615220

I've never heard of anyone living in the Mediterranean, I think only fish live. What continent are we talking about?
Firm land that can be walked on, only Jesus Christ walked through the sea.

Jesus Christ would have been substantially Natufian-admixed, thus, not part of the Mediterranean cluster, C6.

Jesus Christ would have been substantially Natufian-admixed, thus, not part of the Mediterranean cluster, C6.

Ohhh what a pity, as an honorary Mediterranean; although the honor is ours. :)

The concept of a "Mediterranean" race is pseudoscience.

As a race, it is indeed outmoded and pseudoscience at this point. But as a genetic cluster, you can say it is a construct fixed to a time and place. Just as "Eastern Mediterranean", or "Nordic_BA", can be a distinguishable cluster, and construct from it. They are all used in modern academic nomenclature, in the research papers the samples are cited from.

Regardless of phenotype, there are no 'separate races' in Europe and anywhere in the world actually. All Europe is a result of the mixture of different populations, only the proportions vary.

They want to transport stereotypes to Iberia that don't even work in Italy. I was watching a documentary about Friuli in the far northeast of Italy and most of them look as 'Mediterranean' as any other Italian in any other region. In Iberia, the 'north' and 'south' thing doesn't even make sense in groupings. The only difference in grouping in Iberia is between the western part and Catalonia (both grouping closer to the central French) while other areas (such as Aragon) are closer to the Basques.

It is easy to understand: all Europe is the result of a mixture and there is no genetic basis for a 'race' division. The varied phenotypes are also found in all countries despite the difference in frequencies. That is all.

[QUOTE = Wilhelm; 368670] O I2a não é frequente nos Balcãs.

Não. Do ponto de vista genético, essas divisões não existem. Por quê ? Porque, por exemplo, os ibéricos são geneticamente mais próximos dos belgas ou ingleses do que dos gregos. Outro exemplo é que um espanhol loiro e de olhos azuis se aglomeraria com espanhóis, não com europeus do norte, e vice-versa, um sueco com aparência do sul é geneticamente sueco e se aglomeraria com seus homólogos. [/ QUOTE]

Exactly. Blond Iberians group with other Iberians regardless of phenotype. Just as a 'dark' Dutch or German will continue to group with other Germans.

We're not the apricity. No one is interested in long discussions about how many blondes are in which countries. Who cares?

This thread has been viewed 42044 times.

Back