Songs in Italian

My roomate when was studing liked and was famnatic with Italian songs,
he even travel to a San Remo festival.

I remember one song I was used or 'forced' :LOL: to hear

Sorry I do not understand the suffering.... I think its one of the great oldies :grin:

Dolcenera is an amazing track about natural disasters, and the feelings they arouse. It was written in memory of the 1970 flood of Genoa. My parents often told me about that disastrous event, they were in their early 20s at the time.

One of my Italian favorites of all time, Amore per te by Mango. First time to the beach this year, sea still very cold but it was great anyway. Now relaxing listening to this while my Kebabs are getting grilled on the Barbq......WITH LOTS OF BURING BENGAL SPIRAL INSECTICIDE SMOKE.....THEY ARE KILLING ME. But im ok now.

I also like Bella D'estate...

And Come monnalisa...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-STs5MewDw

I hesitated to link to the above, given the visuals for modern Italian songs, but what the heck, I'll just advise that it's not PG13!:grin:

You got the grill...let's hope everybody and their uncles don't now expect you to be doing all the entertaining for everybody all summer!:)

I also like Bella D'estate...

And Come monnalisa...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-STs5MewDw

I hesitated to link to the above, given the visuals for modern Italian songs, but what the heck, I'll just advise that it's not PG13!:grin:

I do like those songs too. I like Mango general speaking, quite suiting and nice rhythms.

You got the grill...let's hope everybody and their uncles don't now expect you to be doing all the entertaining for everybody all summer!:)

I love it experimented a little now and your advise works best plain and simple good ingredients work best (y). I have first test tomorrow, lets see how it goes, but all relaxed and in control. I think its going to become a (good) habit :cool-v::grin:. I HOPE my enthusiasm lasts :rolleyes:

Beautiful!!!!

Yes, it is beautiful, Goga. I think this one is beautiful too, but sad not joyous. The translation into English is on the screen for those who don't understand Italian. Fwiw, I don't take it to be a song about the physical death of a beloved woman, but about the death of love.

In case it cuts out and you can't read the words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmvnMQZOgM

Last edited:
All other versions pale by comparison, "Perdere L'amore", To Lose Love, Massimo Ranieri:

English translation:

And now go away
I want to be alone
with the sadness
flying in its own sky

I never asked who you were
why did you choose me
me, who until yesterday
thought I was a king

To lose love
when night comes
when the hair
gets a silver shade
you risk going mad
your heart can break

To lose a woman
and want to die
let me shout
and renounce the sky
throwing stones at
all my dreams still flying
I'll make them fall one by one
I'll break the wings of destiny
and I'll have you near again

Anyway, I understand
and I admit I made mistakes
I was making the choices for you
who knows what I thought I was doing
and now what's left
of all the time we spent together
is a very lonely man
who still loves you

To lose love
when night comes
when on your face
there's a wrinkle that wasn't there before
you try to reason
pretend to be indifferent
untill you realize
that it's no use
and you'd like to scream
and suffocate the sky
hit your head
against the wall a thousand times
breathe in her scent from the pillow
blame destiny
for not having you near

To lose love
damned night
and you pick up the pieces
of an imaginary life
you think that tomorrow
is a new day
but you keep on repeating: "I wasn't expecting this!"
"I wasn't expecting this!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrSGzcJpFyM

This is a Neapolitan song, "Cu'mme", or "With me" by Mia Martini and Roberto Murolo.

It's a sad topic, but beautifully expressed.
With me

Come down with me
find in the depths of the sea
all things that here will never be
Come on with me
and begin to take in
how futile is suffering

Look at this sea here
drenching us with fear
it’s only after to teach something

Ah! How can it be
to keep tormenting our soul that wants to spree
if you don’t get to the seabed
you will never know
No! How can it be
to take away merely
whatever that’s in thee
and dare to leave your heart
lonely amid the street ah
Take off with me
and start singing a prayer
along the notes in the air
Don’t open an eye
just continue to fly
while the wind’s carrying
us to the sky
To where there are
the most beautiful words
by the hand they’ll lead us high
Ah! How can it be
to keep tormenting our soul that wants to spree
if you don’t get to the seabed
you will never know
No! How can it be
to take away merely
whatever that’s in thee
and dare to leave your heart
lonely amid the street ah

Here is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhdeuCCY8N8

Last edited:
This is a Neapolitan song, "Cu'mme", or "With me" by Mia Martini and Roberto Murolo.

With me

I like it very much and the rhythm besides the expressive lyrics. I just come back from Naples, been for the day to accompany a friend to buy some of the famous Neapolitan crib figures. Streets were so packed could hardly walk trough. Very unusual town is Naples. Had a an unforgettable time touring some places to the south, Lecce, Ostundi, and hosted by a friend who lives in a village on the mountains around Basilicata, with the most beautiful sunrise one can possibly get over the dolomites. :)

With me

I like it very much and the rhythm besides the expressive lyrics. I just come back from Naples, been for the day to accompany a friend to buy some of the famous Neapolitan crib figures. Streets were so packed could hardly walk trough. Very unusual town is Naples. Had a an unforgettable time touring some places to the south, Lecce, Ostundi, and hosted by a friend who lives in a village on the mountains around Basilicata, with the most beautiful sunrise one can possibly get over the dolomites. :)

Unusual is a good word. :) I've never actually stayed in Napoli. We stay on the Costa Amalfitana, often in Sorrento, because it's centrally located, although one magical stay was in Ravello. If there's a heaven on earth Ravello is in the running for it, in my opinion.

Napoli is certainly the place for presepi. As I'm sure you know, since the days of St. Francis they've been a very important part of Christmas. When I was a little girl, my parents bought a set with about two dozen pieces, the characters all recognizably Italian peasants, down to the clothing and faces, an exposition on Italian rural life rather than the Palestine of 2000 years ago. It was my responsibility to set it up, and I took it very seriously, creating hills and valleys covered with grass and moss, sometimes sprinkled with snow, putting the infant Jesus in his crib only on Christmas Day. As an adult I bought some pieces in Napoli of more artistic merit, but they don't mean anywhere as much to me as that old, battered set.

It's figurines like this that I adore:
Neapolitan-Creche-figurine.jpg

During the Holiday Season, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City always hosts their "Angel Tree and Baroque Neapolitan Creche", which is a must for any trip to the city during that time.
423b029b4979161b13db4d615792b951.jpg

This Italian American cultural presentation has close up pictures of many of the figurines. The pieces and the pictures are glorious.
http://magnagrece.blogspot.com/2014/12/a-look-at-metropolitan-museum-of-arts.html

A local church that has a lot of Italian American congregants and that even still has a weekly Mass in Italian has collected dozens of large size figurines bought in Napoli, larger than those at the Met, and more of them. Their display has people coming for miles to see it.

Unusual is a good word. :) I've never actually stayed in Napoli. We stay on the Costa Amalfitana, often in Sorrento, because it's centrally located, although one magical stay was in Ravello. If there's a heaven on earth Ravello is in the running for it, in my opinion.

Napoli is certainly the place for presepi. As I'm sure you know, since the days of St. Francis they've been a very important part of Christmas. When I was a little girl, my parents bought a set with about two dozen pieces, the characters all recognizably Italian peasants, down to the clothing and faces, an exposition on Italian rural life rather than the Palestine of 2000 years ago. It was my responsibility to set it up, and I took it very seriously, creating hills and valleys covered with grass and moss, sometimes sprinkled with snow, putting the infant Jesus in his crib only on Christmas Day. As an adult I bought some pieces in Napoli of more artistic merit, but they don't mean anywhere as much to me as that old, battered set.

It's figurines like this that I adore:
Neapolitan-Creche-figurine.jpg

During the Holiday Season, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City always hosts their "Angel Tree and Baroque Neapolitan Creche", which is a must for any trip to the city during that time.
423b029b4979161b13db4d615792b951.jpg

This Italian American cultural presentation has close up pictures of many of the figurines. The pieces and the pictures are glorious.
http://magnagrece.blogspot.com/2014/12/a-look-at-metropolitan-museum-of-arts.html

A local church that has a lot of Italian American congregants and that even still has a weekly Mass in Italian has collected dozens of large size figurines bought in Napoli, larger than those at the Met, and more of them. Their display has people coming for miles to see it.

They are indeed famous and renowned for their expression and finesse. My best friend is well into them and its not just the immediate look but the age and the original completeness of the figurines. He was happy with what he bought :). My father always used to build a presepjo like you with special type of stone we call gargazza. Cribs are still very popular locally with many being mechanized and open for public viewing during the Christmas period in nearly all districts.

Angelo Branduardi mood

Angelo Branduardi mood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqtOHDK8JM

Did you know it was originally a Gaelic song? I didn't, not originally.

I hope you don't mind, Caro Maleth: :)

The Dark Haired Lady and the Hunter

I will not climb the hill
and I will not catch my prey,
my voice I have lost
and I can sleep no more...
The black-haired lady
comes always to my mind
and I know I'll not capture
my prey.

I was not with her on the mountain
when the wind called to us,
I was not with her in the woods,
in the hidden darkness...
The black-haired lady
comes always to my mind
my prey.

I would love you, my beautiful lady,
I would marry you, if God wills,
with you I'll depart for faraway Holland...
You have taken my heart and my prey
will I lose.

I have no more luck,
and I cannot find sleep,
my heart is troubled,
and soon I'll be grey...
The black-haired lady
comes always to my mind
my prey.

You are always in my mind
and against all will I have you
and then with you will I travel,
crossing the sea.

Angelo Branduardi mood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqtOHDK8JM

Did you know it was originally a Gaelic song? I didn't, not originally.

I hope you don't mind, Caro Maleth: :)

The Dark Haired Lady and the Hunter

I will not climb the hill
and I will not catch my prey,
my voice I have lost
and I can sleep no more...
The black-haired lady
comes always to my mind
my prey.

I was not with her on the mountain
when the wind called to us,
I was not with her in the woods,
in the hidden darkness...
The black-haired lady
comes always to my mind
my prey.

I would love you, my beautiful lady,
I would marry you, if God wills,
with you I'll depart for faraway Holland...
You have taken my heart and my prey
will I lose.

I have no more luck,
and I cannot find sleep,
my heart is troubled,
and soon I'll be grey...
The black-haired lady
comes always to my mind
my prey.

You are always in my mind
and against all will I have you
and then with you will I travel,
crossing the sea.

Oh I didn't know that :). many thanks for the lyrics it always make it sound more interesting. Its one of my favourites. Angelo Branduardi's Music has to power to transport me :)

A Sicilian dialect song. I was reminded of it by a poster on anthrogenica. Apparently said poster is unaware that both Italian and Ashkenazi music of the 19th and 20th century, and indeed the music of many European countries, was influenced by music forms created in Eastern Europe, to wit, Polkas and Mazurkas. I'm afraid there is no particular similarity between Ashkenazi music and southern Italian/Sicilian music, but rather similar influences influenced both of them.

A modern Italian song based on the tango, and no, it's not because there was a mass migration of Argentinians to Italy. :) Italy has adopted many "foreign" forms of music and incorporated them into its own canon, including the waltz, the mazurka, the polka, and later, the tango.

This is the translation:

He, he's crazy about her
and so he can't find any peace anymore
He, he's a game for her, a toy
She's so good, but more cunning than a gypsy
He, he's crazy about her
So young, but at heart an actress

She's like salt, she hurts but also brings
that something extra when there's little taste
Love and salt of a life that has meaning
Only when the pleasure is nice and slow

He he he, he's made of her
When he pretends that one day he'll be able to do without her
He he he, he's full of her
In his eyes yellow fields of grain in which they lose themselves

She's like salt, she hurts but brings
Love and salt of a life.."

This is the video with the most PG13 visuals I could find that still had good audio quality:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo2SoPXNYD4

Last edited:
A modern Italian song based on the tango, and no, it's not because there was a mass migration of Argentinians to Italy. :) Italy has adopted many "foreign" forms of music and incorporated them into its own canon, including the waltz, the mazurka, the polka, and later, the tango.

This is the translation:

He, he's crazy about her
and so he can't find any peace anymore
He, he's a game for her, a toy
She's so good, but more cunning than a gypsy
He, he's crazy about her
So young, but at heart an actress

He he he, he's made of her
When he pretends that one day he'll be able to do without her
He he he, he's full of her
In his eyes yellow fields of grain in which they lose themselves

She's like salt, she hurts but brings
Love and salt of a life.."

This is the video with the most PG13 visuals I could find that still had good audio quality:

Sorry, bad links, both of them.
I 've corrected it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo2SoPXNYD4

A Sicilian dialect song. I was reminded of it by a poster on anthrogenica. Apparently said poster is unaware that both Italian and Ashkenazi music of the 19th and 20th century, and indeed the music of many European countries, was influenced by music forms created in Eastern Europe, to wit, Polkas and Mazurkas. I'm afraid there is no particular similarity between Ashkenazi music and southern Italian/Sicilian music, but rather similar influences influenced both of them.

Very nice. Its a style that was very popular locally, but then like many other Sicilian influences.

This thread has been viewed 157137 times.

Back