Reaction score
Ethnic group
Asian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I am human
mtDNA haplogroup
I am human
Hi,
I want to study another European language. I speak English, Chinese (Mandarin only) and French along with my computer graphics degree ( in French)!

Which Scandanavian language is the easiest to study for me do you think?

Thanks in Advance!

Minty

Hi,
I want to study another European language. I speak English, Chinese (Mandarin only) and French along with my computer graphics degree ( in French)!

Which Scandanavian language is the easiest to study for me do you think?

Thanks in Advance!

Minty
i don´t know wich is the easiet, but to me, the most beautiful is swedish :giggle:

Well, there are some Scandinavian languages closely related to each other, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish. But there is also the Dutch Frisian language, that stands between English and the Scandinavian ones.

I vote Swedish. Motivated by it's the most common spoken language in Scandinavia. Swedish about 10.5 million speakers. Compared to Danish which has 6 million and Norwegian has 5 million.

Also, Swedish is the language you should learn, if you're going visit or live in Scandinavia. If I wasn't Swedish and I had to learn Scandinavian languages, I'd learn Swedish because it has the most clarity of all Scandinavian languages. Danish is like Swedish, but they don't pronounce the words properly, so you always get the feeling, "what the hell are they saying?". Norwegian is just a funny version of Swedish and Danish. Once you know Swedish, you'll understand reading both Norwegian and Danish.

Once you know Swedish, you'llunderstand reading both Norwegian and Danish.

Not that easy. As a Norwegian myself, I prefer to read Danish,but talk with Swedes (I just hate to read Swedish, even if I can understand most of it, but Danish is of historical reasons more like Norwegian in writing). Problem is that even if I understand Swedish, most Swedes have problem understanding Norwegian, and Danes won't even try to understand either Norwegian or Swedish. Younger people tend to switch to English these days, instead of trying to understand, like their parents or grandparents did. It's a pity, really.

So, I would recommend foreigners to either learn Danish or Norwegian, because then it is quite easy to understand both written languages. In total it would be the language of over 11 million people, in addition to Greenland, Færøyene (Faroe islands) and Iceland, which all learn Danish as a second language (they used to be part of the old Norwegian empire, but we lost them after the Napoleonic wars in 1814, when they stayed with Denmark, after Norway became the war booty of Sweden). :annoyed:

I think it's Norwegian there are the easiest to understand (Im from Denmark, and i do not understand swedish at all!)
Also Norwegian is pretty easy to understand as language and read, so i don't know if that would do Sweeden to the "biggest" language in Scandinavia, if you understand Norwegian you will easy understand danish, and if you talk and read danish you will easy could understand Norwegian :) But of course your own choose.

I would also have to say swedish, norwegian and danish are similar but swedish is most clear sounding of them and pronunciation is easier to learn.

I would choose Swedish but avoid the southern Scanian dialect from Helsingborg and Malmö. The Stockholm dialect are beautiful. The Swedish 'King's English '

I studied Swedish by myself for a year or so... grammar is similar to English one, that was the easy part. Pronounciation was the hard one xD

finnish is really easy

If we are really exact, the whole Finland does not belong to Scandinavian peninsula. Just a small part in North-West. That is something we Finns often also forget :rolleyes:

Finland is a part of Fennoscandia, Norway and Sweden also, as well some parts of Russia in North-West.

But we belong to the Nordic countries.

ps I´ve heard, that Finnish is really hard to learn, it is so different from all others. Estonian language sounds alike, but we don´t understand it.

I would say Swedish is the easiest.
But then again, i might be biased :)

I agree with Swedish. Then you understand also Norwegian, but not Danish. Just small parts from here and there...

This thread has been viewed 29093 times.

Back