Politics Eurovision Song Contest 2011

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Northern Russians - Slavonic & Finno-Ugric mixture, but hell it's just my guesses
View attachment 4803

Information:
"The Eurovision Song Contest 2011 will be the 56th annual Eurovision Song Contest. It will take place in Düsseldorf, Germany, following Germany's win in the 2010 Contest with Lena Meyer-Landrut's song "Satellite". The contest will be held in Düsseldorf's Espri Arena, which beat out three challenging venue locations across Germany in a bidding phase in late 2010.
The dates set for the two semi-finals are 10 May and 12 May 2011, with the final planned for the evening of 14 May 2011. Forty-three countries have confirmed their participation in the contest, with those returning including Austria, which last participated in 2007; Hungary, which last competed in 2009; and San Marino, which last participated in 2008. Italy also returns to the Contest, marking its first participation since 1997"

Someone else exept me on this forum will watch it? :grin:

Euro Song Contest isn't interesting anymore. It's way too commercial, too much political choices, not the musicality.

How to win the song contest?

Shake some hips, girl singer in Shakira style.
Get the clothing out of a sex shop.:snicker:

Music? Hardly interesting..
Try the Worlds shortest commercial song:

Lalalalalalala... Money Please!

Euro Song Contest isn't interesting anymore. It's way too commercial, too much political choices, not the musicality.

How to win the song contest?

Shake some hips, girl singer in Shakira style.
Get the clothing out of a sex shop.:snicker:

Music? Hardly interesting..
Try the Worlds shortest commercial song:

Lalalalalalala... Money Please!
You mean like that?
or like :LOL:

My favourite in non-shakira style:

What about these:

or:

or:

or:

or:

it has become too commercial these days? naaaahhhh *lol* :LOL::

I always thought that the entrants had to be amateur singers or musicians but the last few times Greece has entered professionals. I have no idea who Greece is sending this time though, I don't normally take much notice of the contest. The talent is usually poor and, as has already been said, the voting is political.

This is what I mean:

A high class song that went into oblivion.

The song ended up between the last that year.
I guess that was the biggest mistake ever made by the Euro Song Contest system.

Last edited:
This was the BEST Eurovision song ever [Belgium in 1980]:

Sadly it turned out to be on last position that contest.

Many people complain that Eurovision is political event because culturally close countries often simply exchange by points in the voting between each other.
But in general I think anyway wins the best, Norway which usually don't get much of points won in 2009 with a record, almost the same thing with Germany last year.

Many people complain that Eurovision is political event because culturally close countries often simply exchange by points in the voting between each other.
But in general I think anyway wins the best, Norway which usually don't get much of points won in 2009 with a record, almost the same thing with Germany last year.

I agree! Here is what I think about it:
I do believe that a lot of points are given due to sympathy, or not given because of aversions towards certain countries. This doesn't happen on purpose in every single case, often also with sub-conciousness. But it happens.

Anyways, I think that if all points of all countries are combined, these political votes are statistically out-balanced. It has no huger effect if Greece gives 12 points to Cyprus, Armenia 0 points to Azerbaijan or Lithuania 0 points to Russia if the rest of all participants doesn't care. If you look at all winners of the past contests, there is no system to be observed where all the countings go to. They have been well balanced and usually the winner's song was one most participants can agree upon to some degree.

Moreover, not every point given to a neighbouring country or not given to a far distant country has necessarily a political reason. Musical tastes are also culturally different, and if you know a little about music in various European regions, you will get to know where the tendencies of differences are, like at the Mediterranean (power ballads), Scandinavia (rock or accoustic guitar sounds), Middle East with Caucasus (oriental beats with arabesque melody lines) or the Celtic Fringe (Celtic instruments). Another thing I have observed is that there is also a tendency of Western countries to neglect the appearence of their singers and concentrate a little more on the music, while especially Eastern European and Near Eastern countries give a higher importance to a glittering show with a gainly looking performer. Especially countries like Azerbaijan etc. which don't get much recognition in politics, economy, sports or other entertainment during the rest of the year, use ESC as a platform for promoting their country and spend an awful lot of money on it.

Thanks for the link MM, I watched all three of the Greek hopefuls and I think the best one was picked to enter. But it will be interesting to see how far he goes, although I think there is probably too much Greek in the song and not enough English. Usually acts all in English or with most English in a song go better as a greater number of people will understand the words. Only Greece and Cyprus are going to understand the most of our entry.

Please vote for our singer :grin:

One of the best songs of Eurovision of all time, played by Maribel Conde Andalusian singer.

Thanks guys for links, really enjoyed them. Ukraine was a riot, lol.

Here is my favorite.

Two examples of how politics can influence the contest [because this thread was posted in the sub-forum politics]:

Portugal in 1974, providing an anthem for the Carnation Revolution to restore democracy:

Portugal in 2011, financial crisis and general mistrust into government and politics:

Another great interpreter of Andalusia (Spain), with its beautiful crystal voice.

Are broadcasting the semifinal for the second TVE and surprisingly, almost all countries sing in English, I think it might be the end of the festival, will you succeed in USA singing in English? And all those small countries in the East, will ignite the stage a day now.

almost all countries sing in English
Very strange and very sad...:shocked:

Do the English will be the official european language?
Do they prepare us?

We must be obliged to sing in our language for the eurovision...

Very strange and very sad...:shocked:

Do the English will be the official european language?
Do they prepare us?

We must be obliged to sing in our language for the eurovision...

Totally agree, each country should sing in their language, I like to hear the strange language and not hear all the songs in English, it sounds all the same, standardized everything, you lose the intrinsic meaning of every people of Europe, should be prohibited.

I disagree, I prefer to understand the meaning of the song as well as enjoy the music and quality of voice before I decide whether I would want to vote for it. And as I speak only Greek and English it doesn't leave too many options in a contest with very many entrants.

The best acts for me are those that combine the ethnic flavour of their country with a couple of verses in English.

This thread has been viewed 18401 times.

Back