Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Meaning of colours on maps?

aimless wanderer Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 0%

Meaning of colours on maps?

Especially when I look at older maps (pre WWII), I notice that some countries are repeatedly drawn in the same colours. For instance Great Britain and it's possessions in pink, Prussia or Germany in blue, Russia in green, Italy in orange etc...

Does anyone know if there is a reason behind this or if these colours have any special meaning? I've been searching for an answer for some while now, but even the internet doesn't give much information on that.

One lousy explanation I gave myself to the colour of Great Britain is some synthesis of the Houses of York and Lancaster. And for some reason Prussia has always been associated with the colour blue, although I couldn't find any blue in the Hohenzollern emblem. Netherlands and orange makes sense.

Banned Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Ethnic group
    Northern Russians - Slavonic & Finno-Ugric mixture, but hell it's just my guesses

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mzungu mchagga View Post
    Especially when I look at older maps (pre WWII), I notice that some countries are repeatedly drawn in the same colours. For instance Great Britain and it's possessions in pink, Prussia or Germany in blue, Russia in green, Italy in orange etc...

Does anyone know if there is a reason behind this or if these colours have any special meaning? I've been searching for an answer for some while now, but even the internet doesn't give much information on that.

One lousy explanation I gave myself to the colour of Great Britain is some synthesis of the Houses of York and Lancaster. And for some reason Prussia has always been associated with the colour blue, although I couldn't find any blue in the Hohenzollern emblem. Netherlands and orange makes sense.
    This is probably due to the military sphere.

Russia

Prussia

Britain

Sweden.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

I think it is also related to the colour of military uniforms and flags, or in some cases the national colour (orange in the Netherlands). Many of those colours have been inherited in national sport team (e.g. red for England, blue for France, orange for the Netherlands).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic

Well, there could be another explanation.

In the Netherlands farmers produced "madder". Or "meekrap" in Dutch (Rubia tinctorum).
    The roots of this plant were used for a red/orange/purple dye.

The same goes for Prussian blue:

Brief description of Prussian blue:
    Dark blue, called the first of the modern pigments. It has very high tinting strength but is only fairly permanent to light and air. It's an Iron-hexacyanoferrate accidentally formed while experimenting with the oxidation of iron. The pigment was available to artists by 1724 and was extremely popular throghout the three centuries since its discovery.
    I suggest that mapmakers could have used the pigments of the countries they knew for the colors of those territories.