Which European groups have phenotypical overlap with the Middle East & North Africa?

Multiple choice; Which have resemblances to Middle East or North Africa?

• British and/or Irish

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Scandinavians (Swedes, Norwegians, Danes)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Finns

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Estonians, Latvians, and/or Lithuanians

• Russians

• Ukrainians

• Poles

• French

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Spaniards and/or Portuguese

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Germans, Austrians, and/or Dutch

• Corsicans

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Sardinians

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Northern Italians

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Southern Italians and/or Sicilians

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Albanians

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Serbians, Bosnians, Croatians

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Bulgarians or Romanians

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Greeks

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • None

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

oreo_cookie

Banned
Reaction score
Which European groups have phenotypical overlap with the Middle East & North Africa?

I made this multiple choice, so choose as many as you want. I also included a "None" option, since this is not meant to be controversial.

Also, pictures to demonstrate any points made would be great, plus specifying, if you chose a poll option, which Middle Eastern or North African group(s) you see similarities with.

I recognize I probably come across a bit ignorant here as an American casting a vote based upon national-generalized European phenotypes (which we all know are not set in stone.) However, if we're going to be big boys and girls and take this thread for what it's worth I'd have to cast my vote for Albanians. Then again I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the phenotypes of Mid-East/North African people and tend to generalize. :embarassed:

There is actually a wide range of looks in the Middle East, with some (like Lebanese, Armenians, Syrians) coming quite close to European-looking at times, whereas Saudis and Iraqis almost never do.

There is actually a wide range of looks in the Middle East, with some (like Lebanese, Armenians, Syrians) coming quite close to European-looking at times, whereas Saudis and Iraqis almost never do.

That I recognize, along with a few other Mid-East/North African ethnic groups. I'm just saying my overall knowledge on the topic is rudimentary at best. Come to think of it, don't many people consider people from Armenia/Georgia/Azerbaijan/Turkey to be part of Europe? It's something I never really agreed with but yet something I see expressed by a number of people.

There are differences in light, tones, looks, like the Europeans about Germans, an Englishman is very different from a German, northern Europeans tend to see the same Mediterranean, also happens to many Mediterranean Europeans see North same, but there are differences of each other despite having apparently similar phenotypes.

Lydia Spanish Big Brother contestant is sent to Big Brother Isrrael, are both Mediterranean, but there are differences, however it is amazing how well we are treated the Spanish in Isrrael, including a man offers Lidia juice, cucumbers, Isrrael bravo, very nice!

Some examples of Middle Easterners (Levantines) whom, in my opinion can pass in some European countries

joseph_hachem.jpg
queen-rania.jpg
78381288.jpg

Last edited:
^^

Yes, certain.

Southern Italians and southern Balkanians (Montenegro, Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia) and Greece with middle-east and west Asia.

None with North Africans, Maybe some sicilians.

To oreo: Why do you post private pics of people, aren't you afraid of being denounced?... i think privacy is a right, i stopped to post in sites where people liked to post pics of private people.. . I think one should only post pics of famous people.

To oreo: Why do you post private pics of people, aren't you afraid of being denounced?... i think privacy is a right, i stopped to post in sites where people liked to post pics of private people.. . I think one should only post pics of famous people.

I'll switch them to celebrity photos.. sorry! :(

I voted no because there are many differences roughly, there may be some resemblance, some similarities and many, but in general there are more small differences that differentially mark each country that is in Europe, North Africa or the Middle East, Anyway I see more similar but far in the Middle East to North Africa, since the characteristics of the Berbers and Arabs are kept more uniform and I think that the Middle East and Europe has been more movement and number of ethnic groups involved.

I voted no because there are many differences roughly, there may be some resemblance, some similarities and many, but in general there are more small differences that differentially mark each country that is in Europe, North Africa or the Middle East, Anyway I see more similar but far in the Middle East to North Africa, since the characteristics of the Berbers and Arabs are kept more uniform and I think that the Middle East and Europe has been more movement and number of ethnic groups involved.

I also think there are some North Africans who look distinct while others could be from a variety of countries in the Middle East and you wouldn't raise an eyebrow, like I've seen Moroccans who could fit in Lebanon, Egyptians who could fit in Yemen, etc.

letizia-rania.jpg

Wedding of Victoria of Sweden.

Some Swedish media reports have confused in their real wedding to the Princess of Asturias with the queen of Jordan.

Are given a thin air because they are both, perhaps, but to the point of confusing them can only be due to a lack of interest from the Swedish press to know the Jordanian and Spanish royals.

I usually don't think Levantines and Spaniards look alike but Queen Rania and Penelope Cruz somewhat resemble one another too.

539w%20(1).jpgpcruz.jpg

This thread has been viewed 49036 times.

Back