Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A United States of Europe- is that possible? Would you like to see it happen?

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 16.0%

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerianbloke View Post
    Ignoring the traits of character that define us as separate nations is a big mistake. Nationalism is there to stay, thinking your own experience could become mainstream is an utopia. And calling nationalism a bad habit is a lack of respect for people who genuinely love their homeland and value their national traditions.
    I am not ignoring it and I wouldn't describe as a bad habit (like corruption is), because humans in general like to categorize themselves, as they do others. In other words it is simply a natural trait ... a label for us, a label for them, that's the way it has always been. So nothing new under the sun.

However saying this, nationality as an identity or better the scale of it is actually a relatively new phenomenon. In the past people were far more used to multicultural/regional states as we are now. This changed drastically when "monoculture" states called nations with only one dominating language or ethnic were founded in the 19th and 20th century.
    Like Germany 1871, Italy 1815, Greece 1832, Hungary 1918, Norway 1908, Finland 1917 etc....Some dynastical /conquestical grown states were falling apart because of this. It is a miracle that Belgium still exists.

Before the appearance of national states people were far more regionalistic orientated then nationalistic. Where there was no linguistic consensus as in Spain and France the dominant culture had been enforced on others.
    No wonder some ethnic minorities are still seeking independence from their "alien" mother-states even today. The EU could be a binding factor that allows a more peaceful and smoothly autonomy or independence of those regions without the need to change them their currency or legislation.

Well it might not become mainstream, but the freedom to choose residence as EU-citizen within the EU will produce simply more and more mixed EU backgrounds. So I wouldn't call that fiction.
    Last edited by Christiaan; 01-12-11 at 15:50.

Elite member Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    Well it might not become mainstream, but the freedom to choose residence as EU-citizen within the EU will produce simply more and more mixed EU backgrounds. So I wouldn't call that fiction.
    Good post Christiaan. And you are quite correct, there are already millions of mixed background within the EU and it is only likely to increase. This really really annoys those who like to categorise everyone, as they simply cannot find a suitable box or compartment to place those of mixed background.

Elite member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Ethnic group
    Latin-Germanic

Again, the "mixed background" and economic migrants are a tiny minority, and who doesn't always have the right to vote in their host country. It's not a couple of thousands Erasmus students who are going to change the face of Europe. Migrations have always been part of human history, and it has nothing to do with nation-states. The modern map of Europe is the result of hundreds of years of wars, tensions and bargaining between countries that have been allied, foes and neighbours. The fact that every single country in Europe has at least one linguinstic minority proves that uniformization, even on a small scale, is extremely difficult to obtain. Trying to dilute national identities into a huge pan-European space is only going to reinforce them. The 2004 referendums in France, Ireland and Holland, all three heavily pre-European are the best proof European integration has its limits and people are not going to abandon their national sovereignty overnight. I suppose people prefer to get screwed by their own kind rather than by pen-pushers in Brussels. While I am 100% behind a common market, I think everything that came after the Maastricht treaty was a mistake and has to be dealt with for the sake of the balance of the continent. The sooner will be the better. The actual crisis had the merit to show there are leaders that can lead and other that can barely follow. When the dust will settle, we'll have to think about adapting the system to the political reality and not the other way around.

Curious Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

It would be just the "Holy Roman Empire III" neither holy nor Roman.

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered

I think the United States of Europe is inevitable. Its not going to come in our life time but I am optimistic it will be a reality in the next 200 yrs. The reason is ethnicities will disappear and people of New Europe will not see themselfs different. For instance Germany one of the most stubborn ethnic groups in Europe will cease being Germany in the near future. They have 15 mil nongermans in a span of 40 yrs. Imagine how many will be in 200 yrs. So Germans will be a minority in Germany. I don't want to say Muslims will be a majority because I can't predict it. England will procede Germany by 100 yrs in becoming a multynational nation. They are promoting it. France and Spain will share their countries with Arabs. Albania will be the last to fall. Albanians will not leave anybody in their country since they don't have enough food sources to feed anyone. So all Europe will be inhabited by different races with no ethnic majorities. So it will be hard to see any differences and this will lead to unification. It will happen. Be happy!!

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    German Germanic

1 members found this post helpful.
    No. I don't want my country being swallowed by another/new country and I do not think the majority of the Europeans would want that, even not in 100 or 200 years. We already have the globalism what kind of kills our cultures. We are many countries having many different cultures, languages, mentalities, interests, prosperities and so on in Europe. As long as these things do not change in a big way, I see no future for the "United States of Europe" or something like that. And I hope they do not change. We all should keep our cultures et cetera. This is what makes Europe very interesting, the most interesting 10 million square kilometers in the world I think.

We Europeans all should live side by side in peace like most of us do today. We can work together very close on economy, business and other sectors like we do today, but one united country? I'd say "NEIN", "HALT", "VERBOTEN".

Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a Z284
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1k

Ethnic group
    Norwegian

I can't see that a United States of Europe could exist or succeed, because of (mainly) two things: Europe is divided into (too) many old and different cultures, and there are great language barriers. It's quite impossible to compare with the USA, because the US is mainly an English idea, with English language and culture as the bottom line. Yes, there are minority cultures (Irish, German, Spanish, French, Chinese and others) in the US, but they are exactly that; minority cultures. In Europe there is no such Umbrella culture as the English, and we know what has happened when a few European nations have tried to force others to become like themselves. So, no, I would not like to see that happen.

Curious Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Don't forget all those who left were outcasts or couldn't make it so they went to the USA to give up their nationalities to become Americans. In Europe those who remained fought for their nationalities. You got the winners and they ain't gonna give up easy.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Ethnic group
    Belgian/ German

I thought that that was the whole idea behind the theory of the European Union.

Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a Z284
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1k

Ethnic group
    Norwegian

Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gilson View Post
    I thought that that was the whole idea behind the theory of the European Union.
    I suspect that, at least in some minds. But then theyhave closed their eyes to all the potential obstacles! But with all thetroubles there has been the last few years, I think that a United States ofEurope is further away than ever.

Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Quote Originally Posted by oriental View Post
    Don't forget all those who left were outcasts or couldn't make it so they went to the USA to give up their nationalities to become Americans. In Europe those who remained fought for their nationalities. You got the winners and they ain't gonna give up easy.
    does a united europe scare you? does it go against your interest as a chinese person?

Curious Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

I want a strong EU but I am showing the difficulties. Maybe it should be partial with only former Charlemagne Empire where those countries feel comfortable with each other. EU affects the world and with a broken EU it makes the world less safe. Some regions are incompatible with the Charlemagne Empire and forcing them in would create only disaster. They should allow for those to withdraw. There is no provision for withdrawal for an amicable separation. It seems almost like a Catholic marriage - no divorce.

A strong union is where people feel they are part of it and defend it. A forced union only bring discord and weakens it. It cannot last long. The present situation shows discord in economic thinking and cultural differences so EU needs a rethink or reboot and allow for amicable withdrawal and refrain from vengeful reprisals. An amicable separation could lead to a future union. There is no need to rush things. Greece, Spain or Italy are not going to fall into the Mediterranean Sea and disappear. There will be there for ages. Think long term.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by oriental View Post
    I want a strong EU but I am showing the difficulties.
    That sounds a little hard to believe. A strong EU with a coordinated economic policy is just a bigger more powerful competitor to the asian producers. Now you want your competitors to unite!!

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by kamani View Post
    That sounds a little hard to believe. A strong EU with a coordinated economic policy is just a bigger more powerful competitor to the asian producers. Now you want your competitors to unite!!
    Keep in mind that competitor is also a consumer. In this case rich Europe would consume more Chinese goods, and vise versa. It is actually win/win situation if it comes to economy. Countries wealth is not about money, it is about production. Look at Germany and Greece example. One produces one doesn't, and one is in trouble.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Keep in mind that competitor is also a consumer. In this case rich Europe would consume more Chinese goods, and vise versa. It is actually win/win situation if it comes to economy. Countries wealth is not about money, it is about production. Look at Germany and Greece example. One produces one doesn't, and one is in trouble.
    "Win-Win" were words people were using in the US in the early 2000-s when they started importing almost everything from China and outsorcing their tech-jobs to India; now they're in recession since 2007...
    Outsorcing jobs and importing everything is the quickest way to destroy your local economy; and the Chinese know it, that's why they don't do that. They're increasing their grip on production and prime resources worldwide and patiently waiting for everybody else to slowly weaken.

OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

"Win-Win" were words people were using in the US in the early 2000-s when they started importing almost everything from China and outsorcing their tech-jobs to India; now they're in recession since 2007...
    Outsorcing jobs and importing everything is the quickest way to destroy your local economy; and the Chinese know it, that's why they don't do that. They're increasing their grip on production and prime resources worldwide and patiently waiting for everybody else to slowly weaken.
    could you live in China and not be a party member?
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

at 1920's USA had the biggest production ever,
    he produce many times than british empire,
    yet she run crush?
    why?
    cause production with no market MEANS NOTHING,

LET GERMANY PRODUCE DOUBLE
    IF COUNTRIES CAN NOT ABSORVE WHAT SHE PRODUCE SHE IS DOOMED.
    Last edited by Yetos; 19-05-13 at 12:08.

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 297

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b4

Ethnic group
    English/British Isles

No i would not like to see it happen, but i know that some people would, and they have the power and the money. Let's hope someone get's them to drop the gun before they fire it.
    'Wise men speak only of what they know' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    could you live in China and not be a party member?
    I'm sure the average person there has not much voice in economical foreign policy. But their policy is smart (and selfish), it is everybody else who is getting hurt by it and letting it happen that is acting stupid. Do you think there is not 100 different ethnicities within china itself? they're strong because they're united.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

1 members found this post helpful.
    Outsorcing jobs and importing everything is the quickest way to destroy your local economy; and the Chinese know it, that's why they don't do that.
    You are wrong. Last recession wasn't about production, but it was about financial sector screwup. Plus public debt and deficit got overwhelming.

They're increasing their grip on production and prime resources worldwide and patiently waiting for everybody else to slowly weaken
    Lol, who will they sell to if all the world will be weak and poor?

Do you think you can print money to buy from Chinese? I have to disappoint you, it doesn't work this way. Except for USA, because US dollars are used for international exchanges of goods.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

I'm sure the average person there has not much voice in economical foreign policy. But their policy is smart (and selfish), it is everybody else who is getting hurt by it and letting it happen that is acting stupid. Do you think there is not 100 different ethnicities within china itself? they're strong because they're united.
    They are united by force at the moment. When political liberalization takes effect in China, in about few years, China will disintegrate like Soviet Union. There will be a strong core remaining however.
    By that time India will be most populous country in the world.

Level

You are wrong. Last recession wasn't about production, but it was about financial sector screwup.
    So outsorcing, importing everything, and having a 100% service-based economy had nothing to do with it!! Have you wondered why people started losing their jobs and not be able to pay their mortgages anymore? They weren't all irresponsible borrowers; most of them could actually pay for stuff at some point in time. How about Japan who has been in a crisis for the past 20+ years, as soon as China's star started to shine. Do you think their blood-feud is only about past history?

Lol, who will they sell to if all the world will be weak and poor?
    The will not let it be that poor, but they'll let it be be sick, dependent, and barely making it. It's like the drug dealer who keeps everybody hooked. But whatever, I guess most people never see the iceberg until it's too late.

Level

When political liberalization takes effect in China, in about few years, China will disintegrate like Soviet Union.
    It doesn't look like there is any liberalization in sight anywhere in the world today thou. Everything is going towards stronger control.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

It doesn't look like there is any liberalization in sight anywhere in the world today thou. Everything is going towards stronger control.
    That's exactly what people were saying 20 years ago about Soviet Block.
    Last edited by LeBrok; 20-05-13 at 23:33.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

So outsorcing, importing everything, and having a 100% service-based economy had nothing to do with it!!
    Who has 100% service economy?

Have you wondered why people started losing their jobs and not be able to pay their mortgages anymore?
    I don't need to wonder. I know exactly what happen.

They weren't all irresponsible borrowers; most of them could actually pay for stuff at some point in time.
    I wasn't talking about personal debts at all. Personal debt is not a factor in this recession.

How about Japan who has been in a crisis for the past 20+ years
    Again, Japan is in financial crisis, not production one. Go to Japan and see how their recession looks like.

and you'll see how good life is as soon as China's star started to shine. Do you think their blood-feud is only about past history?
    Lol, how do you explain EU then. Do you know how much blood-feud used to be in Europe?

The will not let it be that poor, but they'll let it be be sick, dependent, and barely making it. It's like the drug dealer who keeps everybody hooked. But whatever, I guess most people never see the iceberg until it's too late.
    Now it is official, you are afraid of China. It reminds me how Americans were scared of rise of Japan in 70s and 80s. "They will come and buy out America..., run, run, it is worse than Pearl Harbor."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast