The Haplogroup E in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferreira

Reaction score
I'm quite interested in the Haplogroup E, because it is quite exotic in the whole of Europe. In this forum I will collect the news published about the E Haplogroup and its subclades.

Then I'm going to put three charts about frequency and distribution. As you all know, the percentages vary slightly depending on the sample.

We can see through these charts the different subclade of Haplogroup E sum approximately 25-27% in Greece, 12-14% in the Balkans and 10-12% in the Iberian Peninsula. In Germany and France decreases to less than 5%.

Last edited:
Then we had E-M78 in Greece, Balkans, Italy and Central Europe.

Sub Clades of E1b1b1a1 (E-M78)
There are four recognized sub-clades, which were mostly defined by Cruciani et al. (2006).
  • E1b1b1a1a (E-V12). Found in Egypt, Sudan, and other places. Has an important sub-clade E1b1b1a1a2 (E-V32) which is very common amongst Ethiopian Oromo, Borana Oromo from Kenya and Somalis.
  • E1b1b1a1b (E-V13). This is the most common type of E1b1b found in Europe and is especially common in the Balkans.
  • E1b1b1a1c (E-V22). Found in Egypt, the Middle East and other places.
  • E1b1b1a1d (E-V65). Associated with the Maghreb, but also found in Italy and Spain.
  • E1b1b1a1e (E-M521). Found in two individuals in Greece by Battaglia et al. (2008)

And now, E-M81, in Spain and Portugal.

E1b1b1b1 (E-M81), formerly E1b1b1b, E3b1b, and E3b2, is the most common Y chromosome haplogroup in the Maghreb, dominated by its sub-clade E-M183. It is thought to have originated in the area of North Africa 5,600 years ago.[2][24] This haplogroup reaches a mean frequency of 42% in North Africa, decreasing in frequency from approximately 80% or more in some Moroccan Berber populations, including Saharawis, to approximately 10% to the east of this range in Egypt.[24][25][26] Because of its prevalence among these groups and also others such as Mozabite, Middle Atlas, Kabyle and other Berber groups, it is sometimes referred to as a genetic "Berber marker".

In Europe, E-M81 is found everywhere but mostly in the Iberian Peninsula, where unlike in the rest of Europe[Note 6] it is more common than E-M78, with an average frequency of 4-5.6%. Its frequencies are higher in the western half of the peninsula with frequencies reaching 8% in Extremadura and South Portugal, 9% in Galicia, 10% in Western Andalusia and Northwest Castile and 9% to 17% in Cantabria.[18][29][30][31][32] The highest frequencies of this clade found so far in Europe were observed in the Pasiegos from Cantabria, ranging from 18% (8/45)[32] to 41% (23/56).[2] An average frequency of 8.28% (54/652) has also been reported in the Spanish Canary Islands with frequencies over 10% in the three largest islands of Tenerife (10.68%), Gran Canaria (11.54%) and Fuerteventura (13.33%).[33]
E-M81 is also found in France,[2] 2.70 % (15/555) overall with frequencies surpassing 5% in Auvergne (5/89) and Île-de-France (5/91),[34][35] in Sicily (approximately 2% overall, but up to 7% in Piazza Armerina),[36] and in slightly lower frequencies in continental Italy (especially near Lucera)[31] possibly due to ancient migrations during the Islamic, Roman, and Carthaginian empires.
As a result of its old world distribution, this sub-clade is found throughout Latin America, for example 6.1% in Cuba,[37] 5.4% in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), [Note 7] and among Hispanic men from California and Hawaii 2.4%.[38]

This map explains it better. The highest concentrations are found in the Algerian Sahara and Morocco. In Europe, only Portugal and Spain has a strong presence, as in Italy and France only occurs in very specific places, and it is not so important overall.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Frequency and distribution of Haplogroup E in Europe according to the previous study. No surprises, Greece 20-25%, Balkans 12-15%, Spain 12%. France much lower percentage.

Frequency and distribution of the Subclades of Haplogroup E

As we are seing only in Portugal and Spain dominates subclade M81, of Berber origin. In the rest of Europe the predominant subclade is M78 whose origin would have to place it in Middle East. France occupies an intermediate position, although there are larger number of M78 (60%) than M81 (40%). In any case, in France the total amount of E (M78 + M81) is by far lower than in the Iberian Peninsula and the Balkan Peninsula.

Last edited:
Excellent topic Ferreira. You can notice how different is the Iberian Peninsula from the real Europe.

Some thread like this was needed.

Excellent topic Ferreira. You can notice how different is the Iberian Peninsula from the real Europe.

Some thread like this was needed.

Hm... Haplogroup E in Iberia is only about 12%, and the Berber-origin Haplogroup E is only about half of that. ~6% on the Y-line is not sufficient to differentiate Iberians from other Europeans, especially considering that they have greater percentages of typically European haplogroups (like European-type R1b at ~65% and Haplogroup I at ~7%, not to mention European-type Haplogroup E at levels not too far beneath Berber-type Haplogroup E). And I suspect (but don't have figures onhand) that Berber contribution to Iberian genetics is significantly lower in non-Y lines than in Y lines.

Hm... Haplogroup E in Iberia is only about 12%, and the Berber-origin Haplogroup E is only about half of that. ~6% on the Y-line is not sufficient to differentiate Iberians from other Europeans, especially considering that they have greater percentages of typically European haplogroups (like European-type R1b at ~65% and Haplogroup I at ~7%, not to mention European-type Haplogroup E at levels not too far beneath Berber-type Haplogroup E). And I suspect (but don't have figures onhand) that Berber contribution to Iberian genetics is significantly lower in non-Y lines than in Y lines.

E-M81 it is 75-80% of all haplogroup E in Spain. E-M78 is very much a minority in Spain.

I mean spaniards are not as european as upper Europe. It is a fact. Very well said again Ferreira.

@Canek: what does it mean that Spaniards are not as European as the other Europeans? Europe is traditionally divided in 4 areas: North West, South West, South East and North East, but genetics have demonstered that this division is not that right. There are various genetic regions in Europe: Italy, the Iberian peninsula, the Balkans, Greece, Russia, Scandinavia, Finland, the British Isles and Germany more or less (and others that I don't remember right now). Every region is as European as the others, but everyone has its own characterists and looks. Some are more similar to each others than others. For exemple Italy-Greece and the Balkans are very much a continuum, while the Iberian Peninsula is more connected to France. Germany and Scandinavia are an other continuum.
But we are all European.
It's possible that the Berber domination left a trace in Spain but Spaniards are very easy to spot among real Berbers.

E-M81 it is 75-80% of all haplogroup E in Spain. E-M78 is very much a minority in Spain.

You are total madman. You have no knowledge of how genes work or what genetics research is all about. Stop acting like a parrot and making a complete fool of yourself.

Which source is that coming from? Your maps here apparently show <75% of E-M81 in Spain and a lot less than 50% in Portugal. Most of the studies I've seen have given mid-single-digit percentages for overall E-M81 but I may be missing one, I've only skimmed the articles that you've provided. It is still dwarfed by other, more commonly European haplogroups, I think we can agree.

@Canek: what does it mean that Spaniards are not as European as the other Europeans? Europe is traditionally divided in 4 areas: North West, South West, South East and North East, but genetics have demonstered that this division is not that right. There are various genetic regions in Europe: Italy, the Iberian peninsula, the Balkans, Greece, Russia, Scandinavia, Finland, the British Isles and Germany more or less (and others that I don't remember right now). Every region is as European as the others, but everyone has its own characterists and looks. Some are more similar to each others than others. For exemple Italy-Greece and the Balkans are very much a continuum, while the Iberian Peninsula is more connected to France. Germany and Scandinavia are an other continuum.
But we are all European.
It's possible that the Berber domination left a trace in Spain but Spaniards are very easy to spot among real Berbers.

Of course. (y)

What this faux Spaniard Ferreira fails to understand is that the great majority of M-81 in Iberia, as in many other places in Europe, results from ancient (Mesolithic / Neolithic) migrations and has no impact on phenotype. Very little M-81 in Spain and Portugal comes from the Muslim occupation.

Which source is that coming from? Your maps here apparently show <75% of E-M81 in Spain and a lot less than 50% in Portugal. Most of the studies I've seen have given mid-single-digit percentages for overall E-M81 but I may be missing one, I've only skimmed the articles that you've provided. It is still dwarfed by other, more commonly European haplogroups, I think we can agree.

No, you aren't missing anything. Low to mid-single digits is correct.

But we are all European.

Yes it's true, but a lot of spaniards, specially andalusians, could pass for residents of northern morocco/ northern Algeria, and vice versa.

In Spain there are a lot of moroccon inmigrants, and some of them are indistinguishable from the Spanish people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 154374 times.

Back