Did you know that Kurds(Kurdish PeoPle) are Europeans?

Goga if you can accebt it or not ,but kurds are part of europe ,see y-dna tests,too . : ) 1 question to you ; do you really think that all europeans are the same @looking lol northern europe is different(england,germany,sweden etc,so they are only blond ..) than southern europe ; portugal,spain,,italia ..greece all that have almost same dns tests like kurds.

and see here :)) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blond#Geographic_distribution
you're a funny fella.

Just an example. When Kurdistan will be impendent I think it will be part of AFC, that means Kurdistan will play against Iran and Iraq during the first FIFA world cup qualification matches and not against Armenian or Azerbaijan, France or England.
On the other side, some West Asian (ex Soviet) countries like Georgia, Armenian and Azerbaijan are somehow part of Europe. Just think about soccer or Eurovision Song Contest.
It's is possible that North Kurdistan will play against Turkey and Turkey is playing against the European nations.
So to be honest, I'm a little bit confused. It's a strange world.

you're a funny fella.

Just an example. When Kurdistan will be impendent I think it will be part of AFC, that means Kurdistan will play against Iran and Iraq during the first FIFA world cup qualification matches and not against Armenian or Azerbaijan, France or England.
On the other side, some West Asian (ex Soviet) countries like Georgia, Armenian and Azerbaijan are somehow part of Europe. Just think about soccer or Eurovision Song Contest.
It's is possible that North Kurdistan will play against Turkey and Turkey is playing against the European nations.

Europe is a geopolitical Term. When Kurds really did want to play in Uefa instead AFC than they could.

Europe is a geopolitical Term. When Kurds really did want to play in Uefa instead AFC than they could.
Yes, but the fact is that Pakistan or China can't play in uefa. Or maybe they can?

I would rather play against Syria, Iran or Iraq than again European countries. Much easier opponents to beat, so much more chance to enter the main tournament. I still don't understand what Turkey is doing in UEFA!

They must split AFC into East and West AFC. It's ridiculous to see Japan or Korea playing against Yemen or Oman.

Yes, but the fact is that Pakistan or China can't play in uefa. Or maybe they can?

I would rather play against Syria, Iran or Iraq than again European countries. Much easier opponents to beat, so much more chance to enter the main tournament. I still don't understand what Turkey is doing in UEFA!

They must split AFC into East and West AFC. It's ridiculous to see Japan or Korea playing against Yemen or Oman.

you're a funny fella.

lol you kurdish hater or more islam hater! , dont worry if kurdistan will be independent (so in 2-5 years) than we ll play in UEFA . dont worry see all topic until end posted enough infos that kurds are part of europe so as people here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skbbT0kKPNs and as region ,too here :
http://www.eurominority.eu/images/posters/poster-nations-grand.jpg

do you really think that all europeans are the same @looking lol northern europe is different(england,germany,sweden etc,so they are only blond ..) than southern europe ; portugal,spain,,italia ..greece all that have almost same dns tests like kurds.

And see kasachstan and israel ,even these true asian countriys play in UEFA looooool. and if our state is independent ,then i will do all things so to take kurdistan national team in UEFA . i wll
apply for that . lol ,and i would never think that kurdistan plays against iran or iraq ,these are our enemys , so dont worry kurdistan will be part of UEFA ,too .And i understand now why you cant accept as part of europe and why you try to show kurds as westasian ,so all that because of Islam . and have a nice day. : )),

When Kurds really did want to play in Uefa instead AFC than they could.

Yeah Alan .

well to be serious, they should rather play in the Ueafa. It doesent matter if they have got more chances to get into World Cup. What matters is, that the Ueafa is much more fun and a bigger challenge. And also do never forget that there are MANY football players in Europe which are of kurdish origin and very proud. I myself know two from Germany and Swiss.

Deniz Naki plays in Germany U teams.

Naki_HA_Sport_Hambu_848658b.jpg

Another is Eren Derdiyok

19-4661-230x300.jpg

There is no Reason that we have to hide our selves. Many as "Turkish" known youngsters in German leagues are Kurds

Turkish population and language is also south Minor asian, and is Connected with Hattian Akkadian and Turkmen
most of Turks are Byzantines who change religion and language, rejecting both Greek and Iranian and adopting the old and borrowed missing words from Seljuk and Koyonlu
Turkish language has no relation with Hattian (noone knows where to classify Hattian) or Akkadian (it was a Semitic language). Turkmens speak a west Turkish language close to modern Turkish I think...

lol you kurdish hater or more islam hater! ,

And see kasachstan and israel ,even these true asian countriys play in UEFA looooool.
I'm a Kurd.

And yes you're right about Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is not only a Muslim country, but also a Central Asian Turkish one...

There is no Reason that we have to hide our selves. Many as "Turkish" known youngsters in German leagues are Kurds
Yes I do consider that as a betrayal of your race and nation if some folks 'hide' their origin. Such folks aren't even worth to be talked about.

I think it's more fun if Kurds will play against Syrians or Iranians and beat them. And against Spain or Germany they can play later in the main tournament...

Yes I do consider that as a betrayal of your race and nation if some folks 'hide' their origin. Such folks aren't even worth to be talked about.

I think it's more fun if Kurds will play against Syrians or Iranians and beat them. And against Spain or Germany they can play later in the main tournament...

Bo you got me wrong. No one of them is hiding is origin. Eren Derdiyok mentioned many times that he is a Kurd.

And Deniz Naki even showed this by a tattoo which he commented like this, "The tattoo stands for the region where my parents are from. I am a Kurd and want to say to my People, be proud of what you are.

His arm tattoo.
2,w=457.bild.jpg

Bo you got me wrong. No one of them is hiding is origin. Eren Derdiyok mentioned many times that he is a Kurd.
No, I'm talking about Kurds that hide their roots in general. Like many shop owners or greengrocers in Europe, only to have more Turkish and Arabic customers. Or some politicians in Turkey. For money they sell everything.

Or self hating Kurds that say they are European and not West Asian, same sh*t...

I'm a Kurd.

And yes you're right about Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is not only a Muslim country, but also a Central Asian Turkish one...
lol you cant be a kurd and can yu speak kurdish ? and then if yes come on we test it and dont make us kurds here as worse !

and kurdistan is part of europe and
http://www.eurominority.eu/images/posters/poster-nations-grand.jpg

kurds have enough european dna s .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skbbT0kKPNs

kurdistan national team will play in UEFA .dont worry!

lol see this one:

"Kurdistan avisiert Aufnahme in FIFA und UEFA "
(Kurdistan
advised for UEFA-admission)

http://www.fussball-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=17956&start=0

and alan , mesut ozil is half kurdish . mother of ozil is kurdish .

see ; eren derdiyok he is great soccer ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_AwfNsdql0&feature=related

and kurdistan national football teams plays already against eurobean teams ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLELT84_rQU&feature=related
---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCAm1CkiEI&feature=related

and kurdistan will host the viva world cub 2012 ,and catalonia (almost all players of spanish national football team) will play ,too . :

http://www.kurdishglobe.net/display-article.html?id=AB884DED4FAB40E45CE403B1151CD3CC

I am not going to reply to some of the patently false statements made about my people in this thread. I would hope folks would refer to the genetic data, and let it speak for itself.

However, I will address the suggestion that we are principally Jordanian. This is, I suppose, a reference to the old blood group data dendrogram by Cavalli-Sforza published many years ago. As you all know, we have come very far since that time, in regard to population genetic analyses.

Some data I came across last week, regarding Assyrian Y-DNA. It also, for those interested, covers Yezidi Y-DNA:

‎[T]he Semitic populations (Assyrians and Syrians) are very distinct from each other according to both axes. This difference supported also by other methods of comparison points out the weak genetic affinity between the two populations with different historical destinies.

When interpreting genetic results we need to take into account historical and archaeological data (e.g., in case of Assyrians and Syrians, who are Semitic speaking populations with different historical backgrounds).

Code:
n=x        44      56    215    189      140     90    196     106       72       40     179     106
hgx      ARA     IRN     KRB    NRT      SNK    WST     YZD     ASR     SRN      AZR     TRK    GEO
hg1	0.23	0.32	0.43	0.22	0.40	0.22	0.28	0.42	0.10	0.08	0.18	0.10
hg2	0.18	0.07	0.12	0.20	0.08	0.21	0.05	0.01	0.04	0.40	0.44	0.48
hg3	0.00	0.02	0.06	0.04	0.09	0.03	0.02	0.02	0.03	0.10	0.11	0.05
hg7	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.01	0.00	0.00	0.00
hg8	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.01	0.00	0.00	0.00
hg9	0.41	0.45	0.31	0.39	0.35	0.37	0.42	0.38	0.54	0.40	0.25	0.30
hg16	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.03	0.01	0.00
hg21	0.09	0.14	0.03	0.07	0.03	0.06	0.16	0.03	0.21	0.00	0.00	0.02
hg26	0.05	0.00	0.05	0.05	0.05	0.07	0.06	0.15	0.04	0.00	0.00	0.04
hg28	0.05	0.00	0.01	0.02	0.00	0.03	0.01	0.00	0.01	0.00	0.00	0.01
hg29	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.01	0.00	0.01	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00	0.00
The regions of the Caucasus, Anatolia, and the Near East represent an extremely important area with respect to ancient population migration and expansion, and the spread of the Caucasian, Indo-European, Afro-Asiatic, and Altaic languages. We examined genetic variation within and between 12 ethno-territorial populations belonging to four major language families by using six microsatellites, or short tandem repeats (STR) and 12 Unique Event Polymorphism (UEP) loci mapped to the non-recombining portion of the human Y-chromosome. The applied set of markers did not unconditionally support the language replacement hypothesis for the populations under consideration. Moreover, regarding the South Caucasus and Anatolia, our results showed greater genetic distances between the populations from different language families, and close genetic affinity for the populations from the same language group―in this case, for the Turkophone ethnic units. The results point to the importance of appropriate Y- chromosome sampling procedures in geographically structured populations and to the necessity of using a relevant set of markers that provides best discrimination of populations with different genetic histories.

Subjects
DNA has been extracted from...741 informed consenting self-identified ethnic Armenian males at four regional collection areas in Armenia and in the Armenian community of London. Some samples were later discarded because of typing failure, therefore the final number of samples used for the statistical analysis were 734. All samples were segregated to six geographic groups according to paternal grandparental place of birth: “Ararat” (ARA), “Iranian” (IRN), “Karabakh” (KRB), “North” (NRT), “Syunik” (SNK), and “West” (WST) (Fig.1). (Detailed description of regions was given in Weale et al. 2001).

Comparative data sets
We used also DNA samples collected among the Yezidis (YZD) (n=196) and Assyrians (ASR) (n=106) living in Armenia. Comparative data sets included also samples collected from other countries for the same Y-chromosome markers: “Turkey” (TRK), 179 students of Istanbul University; “Azerbaijan” (AZR), 40 residents of the capital city Baku; “Syria”, 72 students of Damascus University; “Georgia” (GEO), 106 students resident in the capital city Tbilisi. Y-chromosome DNA typing results used in this paper have been provided by our colleagues from The Centre for Genetic Anthropology (TCGA) at the University College, London to conduct comparison with the Armenian data. All comparative data sets are unpublished and currently undergoing statistical analysis. The Armenian populations and comparative data sets were classified to four linguistic groups: Indo-European (Armenians and Yezidis), Semitic (Syrians and Assyrians), Turkic (Turks and Azerbaijanis), and South Caucasian (Georgians).

"Genetic Testing of Language Replacement Hypothesis in Southwest Asia" (I cannot post links. The study is available on the Internet. Just need to search for it.)
LEVON YEPISKOPOSIAN, ASHOT HARUTYUNIAN, ARMINE KHUDOYAN
Arya International University, Yerevan
Institute of Man, Yerevan

Dodecad v3 K=12
Code:
Component	ARM	ASY
“European”	31.9	27.3 (Nearly entirely "Med.")
“African”	0.2	0.0
“East Asian”	0.2	0.3
“South Asian”	1.6	2.2
"SW Asian”	12.2	19.4
“W Asian”	54	50.6

Dienekes:
DodecadOracle("Assyrian_D",mixedmode=T)
[,1] [,2]
[1,] "Assyrian_D" "0"
[2,] "83.9% Armenians_16 + 16.1% Yemen_Jews" "1.7829"
[3,] "89.1% Armenian_D + 10.9% Saudis" "2.1624"
[4,] "84.3% Armenians_16 + 15.7% Saudis" "2.2884"
[5,] "88.9% Armenian_D + 11.1% Yemen_Jews" "2.2983"

This reaffirms the close relationship of Assyrians to Armenians that has been noticed in the project and by others, and it also shows that Assyrians differ from Armenians in a Southwestern Asian direction, consistent with their Semitic language.

Attachments

• PC_YEPISKOPOSIAN (1).jpg
    PC_YEPISKOPOSIAN (1).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I am not going to reply to some of the patently false statements made about my people in this thread.

I am curious as to whether or not that includes anything I've said, or if you think I've been about right.

I'll be honest and say that I was expecting more overlap between the Assyrians and the Syrians, considering that they are both largely descended from people who were once important ethnic groups within the Neo-Assyrian Empire. Do West Assyrians (Syriac Orthodox types) show greater affinity to Syrians or are they just as distant, do we know?

I am curious as to whether or not that includes anything I've said, or if you think I've been about right.

I'll be honest and say that I was expecting more overlap between the Assyrians and the Syrians, considering that they are both largely descended from people who were once important ethnic groups within the Neo-Assyrian Empire. Do West Assyrians (Syriac Orthodox types) show greater affinity to Syrians or are they just as distant, do we know?

Hi sparkey. No, I was not referring to you. We do indeed share genes with Syrians. Their Arabian admixture, however, particularly when it is associated with African admixture (presumably via the Arab slave trade), complicates these sorts of analyses. But, if you look at the less admixed Syrians, such as the Alawi, the similarities are much more evident, as one would expect, between Syrians and Mesopotamians. I am attaching a non-metric MDS I prepared a few days ago, based on Y-DNA frequencies. The Alawi, like the Armenians and Assyrians, have a significant R1b frequency. In fact, based on a sample of Syrian Alawi taken in Adana, Turkey, they have a greater R1b rate than both Armenians and Assyrians. And, the majority of the haplotypes are DYS393=13, along with a modest amount of DYS393=12. Their modal haplotype is similar to the Assyrian modal R-L23 haplotype.

Also, regarding the Syriac Orthodox, there are a few participating in the Dodecad project. There are also a few Chaldean Catholics participating. Here are the individual results.

Code:
ID	E_Euro	W_Euro	Medit	Ne_Af	W_Asi	S_Asi	NE_Asi	SE_Asi	E_Afi	SW_Asi	NW_Af	Pa_Af
ORT	0	1	29	0	46	2	0	0	0	22	0	0
MAN	0	3	23	0	42	7	0	0	2	22	1	0
NES	0	0	21	0	54	3	0	1	0	21	0	0
NES	0	4	23	0	51	0	0	1	0	21	0	0
ORT	0	0	32	0	47	0	0	0	0	21	0	0
N_C	0	0	25	0	50	5	0	0	0	20	0	0
NES	1	0	26	0	49	3	0	0	0	20	0	0
NES	1	2	26	0	47	4	0	0	0	20	0	0
NES	2	2	26	0	46	5	0	0	0	20	0	0
CHA	0	2	26	0	49	4	0	0	0	20	0	0
NES	2	3	25	0	45	6	0	0	0	19	0	0
MAN	1	2	27	0	43	6	1	0	0	19	0	0
CHA	1	1	27	0	43	6	0	1	0	19	2	0
NES	2	2	25	0	49	2	0	0	0	19	0	0
ORT	0	1	29	0	48	2	0	0	0	19	0	0
CHA	2	4	27	0	44	5	0	0	0	19	1	0
CHA	0	0	27	0	52	2	0	0	0	19	0	0
NES	2	1	26	0	48	4	0	0	1	18	0	0
CHA	3	2	29	0	44	4	0	0	0	17	1	0
NES	3	0	24	0	54	1	0	1	0	17	0	0
NES	0	0	28	0	52	3	0	0	0	17	0	0
NES	0	1	26	0	52	3	0	0	0	17	0	0
NES	0	1	26	0	53	3	0	0	0	17	0	0
NES	1	0	27	0	52	4	0	0	0	17	0	0
IRQ	2	6	25	1	36	10	0	2	2	16	1	0

MAN = Iraqi Mandaean (Mesopotamian gnostic sect from the 1st, 2nd or 3rd century CE)
IRQ = Iraqi Arab from Baghdad

Assyrians
CHA = Chaldean Catholic
ORT = Syriac Orthodox
NES = "Nestorian"
N_C = NES/CHA

Average values for the Assyrians, the two Mandaeans, the sole Baghdadi Arab, and Behar's Syrians:
Code:
ID	E_Euro	W_Euro	Medit	Ne_Af	W_Asi	S_Asi	NE_Asi	SE_Asi	E_Afi	SW_Asi	NW_Af	Pa_Af
ORT	0	1	30	0	47	1	0	0	0	21	0	0
CHA	1	2	27	0	46	4	0	0	0	19	1	0
NES	1	1	25	0	50	3	0	0	0	19	0	0
MAN	1	3	25	0	42	7	0	0	1	21	1	0												
IRQ	2	6	25	1	36	10	0	2	2	16	1	0
SYR   2	2	24	2	34	3	1	1	2	28	1	1

Syriac Orthodox and Nestorians/Chaldeans have (more or less) been separated since at least the Council of Ephesus (431 CE). The Nestorians and Chaldeans for at least half a millennium (Schism of 1552). All of the Mesopotamian Christians participating in Dodecad identify as Assyrian, and not as Aramaeans, or Chaldeans. The origin of the Aramaeans is said to have been the southern Levant. The Chaldeans, northern Arabia/southern Mesopotamia. They certainly contributed to our genome, but so did the Israelites, Medians, and others.

Attachments

• ydna_ME_Med_MDS.jpg
    ydna_ME_Med_MDS.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 60
Very interesting... it looks like Dodecad doesn't have enough data yet, but what it's giving is indicating strongly that Syriac Orthodox are not that close to Syrians. I did a quick tally of total summed percentage differences that you posted and got these distances from the Syrians:

CHA: 33
NES: 33
MAN: 37
IRQ: 30

Syrians appear as quite distinct overall and not close to any of the indigenous Mesopotamian ethnicities.

Others compared to ORT:

CHA: 12
NES: 13
MAN: 21
IRQ: 43

We obviously get the three Assyrian branches clustering quite closely and with Mandaeans being significantly closer than the "Arab" ethnicities. This is all quite favorable to the "Assyrianist" narrative.

Very interesting...

You appear to have some interest in the question, so, you may also find this worthy a read:

t is important to draw attention to the fact that the Aramaic-speaking peoples of the Near East have since ancient times identified themselves as Assyrians and still continue to do so. The self-designations of modern Syriacs and Assyrians, Sūryōyō and Sūrāyā, are both derived from the ancient Assyrian word for "Assyrian", Aššūrāyu, as can be easily established from a closer look at the relevant words.

The word Aššūrāyu is an adjective derived from the geographical and divine name Aššur with the gentilic suffix -āyu. This name was originally pronounced [Aššūr], with a palato-alveolar fricative, but owing to a sound shift, its pronunciation was turned to [Aθθūr] in the early second millennium BC. The common Aramaic word for Assyria, Āθūr, reflects this pronunciation and in all probability dates back to the twelfth century BC, when the Aramean tribes first came into contact with the Assyrians. Towards the end of the second millennium, another sound shift took place in Assyrian, turning the pronunciation of the name into [Assūr]. Since unstressed vowels and even whole syllables were often dropped in Neo-Assyrian at the beginning of words, this name form later also had a shorter variant, [Sūr], attested in alphabetic writings of personal names containing the element Aššur in late seventh century BC Aramaic documents from Assyria. The Neo-Assyrian word [Assūrāyu], “Assyrian”, thus likewise had a shorter variant [Sūrāyu] in the seventh century. This variant is hidden behind standard orthography in Assyrian cuneiform texts, but its existence is confirmed by the classical Greek words for Assyrians and Assyria, which display a corresponding variation between forms with initial A- (Assúrios/Assuría) and ones without it (Súrios/Súros/Suría; see AppendixIII).The Greeks, who were in frequent contact with Assyria in the eighth and seventh centuries BC,57 would not have borrowed the word without the initial A-, had the Assyrians themselves not omitted it, since omission of initial vowels is not a feature of classical Greek phonology.

Phonologically, Modern Assyrian Sūrāyā perfectly agrees with Neo-Assyrian [Sūrāyu], while Syriac Sūryōyō displays an intrusive yod, which it shares with Greek Súrios and Suría. This intrusive yod surely is due to Greek influence, since in classical Syriac the word also occurs in the form Sūrōyō, in perfect agreement with the Modern Assyrian Sūrāyā. It is worth noting that Sūrāyā is reported to have a variant with initial A-, but this is avoided in careful speech, since it instinctively sounds incorrect in view of the classical Syriac Sūryōyō. Since omission of initial vowels is not a feature of Aramaic phonology, the lack of the initial A- in Sūrāyā/Sūr(y)ōyō cannot be due to internal Aramaic development but must go back directly to Neo-Assyrian.

Footnotes:
[Assūr] ~ [Sūr] has a perfect parallel in the NA forms of another important divine name, Ištar (NA [Iššār]), which was also realized as [Šār] in Neo-Assyrian, see PNA 1/I, xxv. As in the case of [Sūr], the short form [Šār] is effectively concealed behind the prodominantly logographic or ossified cuneiform spellings of the divine name ((d)15, dINNIN, dIŠ.TAR), but its existence is raised beyond any doubt by the NA spellings of the Urartian royal name Sarduri [Šārdūri], which is written varyingly as m(d)15-du-ri, mdINNIN-du-ri or msa-ar-du-ri in the Neo-Assyrian royal inscriptions (see PNA 2/I 568f; note also the spelling URU.15-BÀD-a-ni = Sarduriani in ABL 147 = SAA 5 97 r.11). The “rebus” spellings m(d)15-du-ri and mdINNIN-BÀD/du-ri, implying the short form [Šār], are already attested in several inscriptions of Tiglath-Pileser III from c. 740 BC, and continue to be found in the letters and inscriptions of Sargon II (721-705) and Assurbanipal (668-630; for the latter, note m15-BÀD LUGAL KUR.ur-arţi in Streck 1916, 84:40, and mdI[Š.TAR-du-r]i LUGAL KUR.ú-ra-ar-ţi-im-[ma], ABL 1240:4-5). Like [Sūr], the short form [Šār] is also explicitly attested in Aramaic alphabetic spelling (cf. šrdrq’l = md15–BÀD-qa-a-li [Iššār-dūr-qāli], AECT 31) and in NB spellings of the Neo-Assyrian name Issār-tarība (mdiš-šar–ta-ri-bi, mdiš-šár–ta-ribi, mšar–ta-ri-bi, mdšár–ta-ri-bi, md15–ta-ri-bi, and mdIŠ.TAR–ta-ri-bi, all referring tothe same person), see Zadok 1984, 4.

National and Ethnic Identity in the Neo-Assyrian Empire and Assyrian Identity in Post-Empire Times
Dr. Simo Parpola (Assyriologist)

Also see: "Çineköy inscription" on Wiki.

And, REMARKS ON THE HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE MODERN ASSYRIAN LANGUAGE (2007)
Geoffrey Khan
University of Cambridge

Dr. Khan's concluding "remark."

In sum, the evidence adduced above demonstrates that the dialects of Modern Assyrian are unlikely to be direct descendants of the literary Syriac language,although they are undoubtedly related to it. Rather they existed side-by-side with it for centuries. Some of the features of the modern spoken dialects that
differ from literary Syriac can be shown to have emerged at a much earlier
period by the fact that they occasionally surface in written texts by a process
of linguistic interference. Some features of morphology, moreover, are
typologically more archaic than the corresponding features in Syriac.
Likewise, some lexical items of the modern dialects are not attested in Syriac
but have roots that can be traced to antiquity in the Akkadian language.

You appear to have some interest in the question, so, you may also find this worthy a read:

Thanks for reading, it looks reliable, and matches my general understanding. My interest stems from my wife being 1/4 Assyrian (a Chaldean family from Baghdad that's been Arabic-speaking for the past couple generations) and struggling to figure out what to call that side of her family, and learning their history. They're okay with "Iraqi" but heavily dislike "Arab" even though they speak Arabic, and are okay with "Assyrian" but like to qualify it so that they're not confused with Church of the East types or Neo-Aramaic speakers. All that combined with the fact that there is a movement to separate Assyrians into three distinct ethnicities made it very confusing for me. The genetic data (as well as the history of the Suryoyo/Suraya words) make me favor the idea of them all being one Assyrian ethnicity, though, divided into subgroups principally along denominational lines.

If another theory, say the "Aramaeanist" theory, was correct, we would expect different genetic results, at least. I think we would see a greater affinity between Syriac Orthodox and Syrians, and certainly less affinity between Syriac Orthodox and Mandaens. I was actually expecting genetics to show an intermediate result between "Aramaeanist" and "Assyrianist" theories, especially concerning the Syriac Orthodox, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What is the predominant haplogroup for the Assyrian population?

What is the predominant haplogroup for the Assyrian population?

Per our friend Humanist on another forum:

Humanist said:
N=77
R1b 25%
J1 17%
J2 16%
T 13%
G 10%
E1b 6%
R1a 4%
R2a 4%
F3 1%
I 1%
L2 1%
Q1b 1%

The source is the FTDNA Project, which is not scholarly but still useful. Also from Humanist citing Chiaroni et al:

Humanist said:
Assyrian (n=55)
R1a1 3.64%
R1a* 0.00%
R*(xR1a) 40.00%
P 9.09%
O 3.64%
L1 0.00%
K*(xL1,M1,N1,O,P) 1.82%
J 10.91%
Y*(xDE,I,J,K) 25.45%
DE*(xE1b1a) 1.82%
E1b1a 0.00%
I 0.00%
Q1 3.64%

Taken together, they seem to have a plurality R1b, with also a lot of both subclades of J. Obviously Humanist is the expert here so he can give us any additional findings.

Per our friend Humanist:

The source is the FTDNA Project, which is not scholarly but still useful. Also from Humanist citing Chiaroni et al:

Taken together, they seem to have a plurality R1b, with also a lot of both subclades of J. Obviously Humanist is the expert here so he can give us any additional findings.

sparkey. Just want to clarify one thing. That last one is not actually Chiaroni et al., but rather a questionable study out of Iran, on Iranian minority religious groups. Please see Dienekes' post on this paper, for more information: "Y Chromosome variation in Iranian religious groups."

The most significant Assyrian haplogroups are:

R-L23 (20%-30%)
J1 (majority J1*, 15%-20%)
J2 (majority J2a and J2a4b, 15%-20%)
T (majority PS21, 10%-15%)

The majority of men are "Nestorians." These haplogroups and their range frequencies may not be consistent with Chaldean Catholic and Syriac Orthodox Y-DNA.

PS - So, you are married to a part Chaldean? Neat!

This thread has been viewed 239241 times.

Back