Italians' 2011 favourite summer destinations

julia90

Passione Mediterranea
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Tuscan-Italian-(European)
mtDNA haplogroup
H5b
from http://viaggi.tuttogratis.it/fotogallery/mete-vacanze-estate-2011-degli-italiani_6023.html

1 IBIZA, Spain
Ibiza remains one of the isles most loved by italians: heart of the clear sea, of the place's beauty; but also of the lively nightlife
visitare_ibiza10.jpg

2 FORMENTERA
Another Balearic jewel that attracts young tourists in search of fun and beaches.
The life in Formentera is like that; fierce nights in discos and slow awakenings from which to heal on the beach before to return to having fun with a aperitif looking the sea
formentera.jpg

3 MYKONOS
If Spain has always attired italian tourism thanks to the language and cultural affinity, what to say about Greece?
With the North-Africa crisis, the 2011 summer regardless of the Greek economic crisis sees the isles highlighted; and in this sector Greece is unbeateble.
Mykonos represents the classic Greek island: white little houses, sun, blu sea, azure sky, clubs next to eachothers, blue painted balconies.....is there something more beautiful?
mykonos.jpg

4 CRETE
A place rich of history, epic, mythes, heroes, with Theseus who defied the Minotaurus thanks to the line that Ariadna gived him because she was in love with him; the Cnosso palace, the labyrinth....: Welcome to Crete.
A marvelous island, with a culture and a tradition that mark it from all the other Greek islands, probably because of the region vastness too.
0.jpg

5 CORFU
Staying on the Italian slope, there are splendid Ionan Islands: Corfu (but also Cefalonia, Lefkada, and the Omeric Itaca)
corfu-islands.jpg

6 ANTALYA, Turkey
Turkey is still little known outside Istanbul; the southern Turkey coast remember a lot of Greece and it is a splendid place for those searching a sea holiday.
Antalya, pearl of the Turkey coast, it's well linked to Italy with numerous low cost flights.
antalya1b.jpg

7 KAS, Turkey
A beach next another beach, next another beach and so on... with the mountains in the background; the sea that changes from azure shades, to the green ones and finally to the deep blues; greek ruins, roman ruins: the Turkey turquoise coast is like that, with little towns that refeclt themselves on the sea...like Kas, a little jewel.
kas_kekova.jpg

8 CORSE
It's near, it's easy to reach by car ferry, one can tour it at ease sleaping on tent in the numerous and equipped campings; it has a great sea, snow-white beaches and a gastronomy that it has nothing to envy to the italian one.
corsica_spiaggia-6537886.jpg

9 CROATIA
Very near, easy to reach by car, great sea, nice gastronomy, it offers culture, beaches, natureand amusement.
foto_croazia_005.jpg

10 SAN FRANCISCO
Boom of requests for the United States: a trend that in reality beginned last year, also thanks to the so favourable Dollar.
It's all a request for the U.S.A., little matter the place, what counts is that it has to be the States.... and then go with the big cities!...like San Francisco on the west coast.
san_francisco_1.jpg

11 MIAMI
All along crowded with Italians, Miami mantains unaltered its appeal: thanks to Miami Beach, a beach of thin white sand and crystalline whater 5 km long, leaned out on the Caribbean.
The city is very fascinating because it's inhabitated by numerous Cuban immigrants: infact Spanish is the official spoken language next to English.
surfside_condos_miami.jpg

12 SALENTO
It's a boom for Apulia, in particular for Salento: it could be because it's well equipped with holiday camps which offer great services for families with children but also for youngs in search of fun.
This without counting low cost flights, the beauty of the places, and last but not least the great cusine.
castro_marina_salento_4.jpg

13 SARDINIA
The increasing of the ferrie's cost this year doesn't stop Sardinia: Sardinia remains a must for the italians.
Because it's the Emerald isle of Italy, with a sea that could make envious a Caribbean island, long beaches of silky sand and a sometimes bare, sometimes very green landscape that charms and captures the gaze.
sch-278_2.jpg

14 SUDTYROL/HIGH ADIGE
Even if the most part of italian holidaymakers prefer the sea, the Mountain lovers resists and SudTyrol remains the most requested destination for this summer too: First for the beauty of the Dolomites, declared Unesco World Heritage; then for the excellent services and the low coasts of the hospitality of the natives of Alto Adige.
d5fa8216-fde2-4fde-9099-514e5d67d240.jpg

I know people who raved about Croatia. This destination is becoming popular in Spain too.

And, of course, Ibiza has always been one of the favorite destinations here...XD

I know people who raved about Croatia. This destination is becoming popular in Spain too.

And, of course, Ibiza has always been one of the favorite destinations here...XD

I would prefer another balearic island to ibiza, possibly less crowded and with less disco-party, maybe formentera is better but i think it should be more expensive because it's more for famous people

Croatia is a bit less expensive than other southern european states, but it has no sand only rocks.. however the sea and the mountains are very beautiful.
the food is nice

i think that thanks to low cost flights places that were too expensive now are becoming more affordable, and also people are descovering new places; and also people thank to it travel more often

What about Minorca and Tenerife? They intrigue me even more than Ibiza...

Minorca

minorca.JPG

Tenerife

a58.jpg

And in Italy... Maratea and Isola del Giglio

Maratea

maratea_il%20mare.jpg
Isola del Giglio (almost specular to Minorca)

isola%20del%20giglio%20-%20caldane.jpg

Attachments

• maratea-foto3.jpg
    maratea-foto3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 50
Julia, I also prefer another Balearic Island. Ibiza is very crowded, only to go out at night. In Spain it is only popular for this, nobody cares of other things when they decide to visit Ibiza. Only discotheque XD

PD: I like to go out at night, but not especially this way.

What about Zanzibar?
It was so overcrowded with Italians there. About every second hotel was owned to an Italian, and in some hotel restaurants you weren't even offered anything if you didn't speak italian. Previously I always had the image that only the Germans and British were so loud and disrespectful when on holyday, somehow I had to add Italians then, too.

i didn't know about Zanzibar, another italian monopolized place is Sharm el Sheik, and to a lesser extent Hurgada..
italians tend to prefer their food mostly, but i think they enjoy also to be with foreigners...

Julia, I also prefer another Balearic Island. Ibiza is very crowded, only to go out at night. In Spain it is only popular for this, nobody cares of other things when they decide to visit Ibiza. Only discotheque XD

PD: I like to go out at night, but not especially this way.

indeed it's the same for me, i like a bit of fun, but not when a place and expecially a disco is overcrowded at the point that you can't even dance..

popular place of italians in spain, and also almost conolized by them is Loret de Mar.. typical italian (male, but there are also many girls too) teenager, young destination

And in Italy... Maratea and Isola del Giglio

Maratea

maratea_il%20mare.jpg
Isola del Giglio (almost specular to Minorca)

isola%20del%20giglio%20-%20caldane.jpg

i would add also some places in calabria, and southern puglia, famous for their blue sea.
in sicily Mondello is a little caribbean beach..

i didn't know about Zanzibar, another italian monopolized place is Sharm el Sheik, and to a lesser extent Hurgada..
italians tend to prefer their food mostly, but i think they enjoy also to be with foreigners...

Well, the Italian restaurants were really good there! I've never been to Italy (yet), but I was told the food was like in Italy!
And yes Zanzibar is really popular among Italians, as it was an Italian entrepreneur who actually discoverd the island as a tourist destination back the 1980s. I actually got to know him personally ;)
A former class mate of mine, who married an Italian, also went with him to Zanzibar on honey moon.

in my opinion here is the must do list to be on top for italian teen/young:

Ibiza
Mykonos
Formentera
Loret de Mar
Riccione
Costa Smeralda
London
Amsterdam
Barcellona
Madrid

here's the list for young couples:
Creta
Rodi
Santorini
Venice
Paris
Sharm el Sheik
Praga
Cinque Terre
Sardinia

10 SAN FRANCISCO
Boom of requests for the United States: a trend that in reality beginned last year, also thanks to the so favourable Dollar.
It's all a request for the U.S.A., little matter the place, what counts is that it has to be the States.... and then go with the big cities!...like San Francisco on the west coast.

I haven't seen too many Italians around in California, although I suppose I don't spend a lot of time in urban touristy areas. I wonder what the appeal of Californian cities is to Italians? There is really very little of interest in them... they're like European big cities, if you took out the ancient history and kept only the modern business areas. And it doesn't seem like the Californian coast offers a lot that you don't have in Italy, either. If an Italian asked me where to visit in California, I would definitely recommend the mountains, especially Kings Canyon, Mineral King, and Yosemite. Those places are breathtaking, and not like anything in Europe. We don't get many foreign tourists in Kings Canyon or Mineral King, but I've seen a lot of Germans in Yosemite... they've got the right idea.

I haven't seen too many Italians around in California, although I suppose I don't spend a lot of time in urban touristy areas. I wonder what the appeal of Californian cities is to Italians? There is really very little of interest in them... they're like European big cities, if you took out the ancient history and kept only the modern business areas. And it doesn't seem like the Californian coast offers a lot that you don't have in Italy, either. If an Italian asked me where to visit in California, I would definitely recommend the mountains, especially Kings Canyon, Mineral King, and Yosemite. Those places are breathtaking, and not like anything in Europe. We don't get many foreign tourists in Kings Canyon or Mineral King, but I've seen a lot of Germans in Yosemite... they've got the right idea.

i think in europeans the mith and the greatness of America,big roads, big cars, big cities, skyscraper, a lot of ethnic group... is like a magnet, and very fashinating...
on the contrary americans, prefer things with history, cities more for human size

italians are less interested in nature when visiting america, except for the niagara falls and the grand canion, who are famous thanks to hollywood movies.
Germans are more of a nature-green oriented people generally, and also here in italy they like to go on campings agriturisms, taste wines... they like very much south tyrol, because it's a bizarre and unusual mix of italian and german culture.. where odd things are produced beer with wine, strudel with pasta, fruit grow... etc..

however they are right this cultural mix is beautiful!

Thank you for sharing all that pics julia90. There's a lot of BEAUTIFUL places in the mediterranean coasts for sure.

But I had a friend of mine who worked in Ibiza for a while and he always said that it was a place full of drugs, drunks, violence and prostitution. It is ironic because these are common unfair prejudices that europeans always have about latin america.

Thank you for sharing all that pics julia90. There's a lot of BEAUTIFUL places in the mediterranean coasts for sure.

But I had a friend of mine who worked in Ibiza for a while and he always said that it was a place full of drugs, drunks, violence and prostitution. It is ironic because these are common unfair prejudices that europeans always have about latin america.

South America must have a lot of great places to visit... during their summer (European winter). I'd like to visit southern Argentina, but doubt that that would be a great "summer destination" if we're talking about summertime in Italy!

well my brother went there, on may (he was an erasmus in madrid) in the period of the spanish sort of american university-high school break-vacation, very popular among locals.. in this period he didn't saw anything drug related, but people told him that in summer where foreigners arrive there is a bit of drugs

This thread has been viewed 31607 times.

Back