Ethnic group
    Thracian

1 members found this post helpful.
    The best example of the Pontic greek phenotype appears in this video:

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    This a Greek actor from a German television drama series. I think he resembles a bit the reconstructed Mycenaean warrior in terms of his jaw/ chin area.

I would tend to agree. As for the pictures of the "handsome" Greek men, imo only one, Totsikas, has actually pretty, symmetrical features, a few of the others are virile looking, but have mismatched features, the rest have very crude features. I don't know if it's the Slavic, higher EHG or what.

In my personal opinion the handsomest Greek men I saw were from the islands. Of course, all this is personal taste. I see some of our members gushing over a thread about supposedly beautiful women whom I personally think are hideous; fa** breasts like upturned bowls, fa** platypus duck lips, faces so full of fillers and so much Botox that it no longer looks like skin; it looks like rubber or plastic. Might as well make androids and have done with it imo. My God, Prince Harry may be a neurotic who married a narcissistic manipulator, but at least she's beautiful and doesn't look like like a street walker. Even if she has no class, she looks like she has it.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I would tend to agree. As for the pictures of the "handsome" Greek men, imo only one, Totsikas, has actually pretty, symmetrical features, a few of the others are virile looking, but have mismatched features, the rest have very crude features. I don't know if it's the Slavic, higher EHG or what.

In my personal opinion the handsomest Greek men I saw were from the islands. Of course, all this is personal taste. I see some of our members gushing over a thread about supposedly beautiful women whom I personally think are hideous; fa** breasts like upturned bowls, fa** platypus duck lips, faces so full of fillers and so much Botox that it no longer looks like skin; it looks like rubber or plastic. Might as well make androids and have done with it imo. My God, Prince Harry may be a neurotic who married a narcissistic manipulator, but at least she's beautiful and doesn't look like like a street walker. Even if she has no class, she looks like she has it.
    I disagree
    I dont like megan harry wife
    If anything it is william wife kate
    Who is pretty but as you said it is a matter of taste...
    About those greek men don't forget that you compare them to italian man which is not fair
    As italian man considered generally speaking maybe the most handsome nation in europe.....
    phenotype:
    gracile- med

Ethnic group
    swiss,italian

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    That's actually my point. Because "whites" and Near easterners share those common ancestries. I wonder if some of our disagreements may just come from a simple misunderstanding.
    In fact, I believe CHG and Anatolian_N may be what gives people a "Roman" look to them. Which is why you can find people that look like that, even in places without Roman occupation, like Ireland.
    well the thing that might be confusing me is, that you said near east is white but now it is only those who have anatolian_N and CHG? also my point was that some traits that are by some people considered "nonwhite" could be based on those 2 ancestries and they might also be the reason why some people think that Anatolian_N/CHG heavy european populations or individuals with no non-european ancestry look "non-white" sometimes for a certain group of people.

Natufians were mostly westeurasians so i'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that they did not at least partially resemble their northern neighbours.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Ailchu View Post
    well the thing that might be confusing me is, that you said near east is white but now it is only those who have anatolian_N and CHG? also my point was that some traits that are by some people considered "nonwhite" could be based on those 2 ancestries and they might also be the reason why some people think that Anatolian_N/CHG heavy european populations or individuals with no non-european ancestry look "non-white" sometimes for a certain group of people.
    Natufians were mostly westeurasians so i'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that they did not at least partially resemble their northern neighbours.
    This is all subjective of course. Looking "white" or middle eastern is dubious. My point was that those are two components that all European and middle eastern people have. Also it is correct to say Natufians were 73% similar to Dzudzuna, which were Anatolian_N-like.

Thus I think it is fair to say it is the Anatolian_n, and CHG in europeans, especially Southern Europeans, for the reason why some phenotypes looks similar to middle easterners. Because those are both source populations they both share.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Ultimately, I think Lazaridis' 2018 pre-preprint would suggest it is Dzudzuna which is the reason why there is phenotype overlap.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

Of one thing i'm sure: greeks largely overlap with us (italians)

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Philip View Post
    Of one thing i'm sure: greeks largely overlap with us (italians)

They don't really overlap, but they are to the direct "east" of Italians, genetically. As demonstrated by numerous PCA analysis.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

They don't overlap, but they are to the direct "east" of many Italians, genetically.
    With overlap i mean that there is a good amount of people in both countries who could pass in both (talking about phenotypes)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

With overlap i mean that there is a good amount of people in both countries who could pass in both (talking about phenotypes)

I can see that.

Joey Fatone was great in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

I can see that.

Joey Fatone was great in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
    I think that myself and most of my family would pass unnoticed in Greece

I imagine Achaeans/ Classical Greeks looking like this Greek football player Samaras.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

^^I think that is a good bet.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

Yeah, Samaras, like me, looks like a European Med (as I call it)

Yeah, Samaras, like me, looks like a European Med (as I call it)

Surely he looks Med. However, to me, he looks particularly Greek.

These blond Greeks in spite of their not that super common hair and eye color, look pretty "Greek", too. Yet folks with untrained eyes would claim that they look like Scandis or Germans.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

These blond Greeks in spite of their not that super common hair and eye color, look pretty "Greek", too. Yet folks with untrained eyes would claim that they look like Scandis or Germans.

Last guy is IDENTICAL to Daniele De Rossi

Ethnic group
    Italian

Not a good idea to go by people who have bleached their hair, plus whatever the sun does (look at the hair below the top layers and look at the root line in the second photo).

Maybe you have to be a woman to understand these things. There's a reason why they sell so much bleach in Britain, Germany, and even the Scandinavian countries. Even children who are platinum haired usually turn brown haired with age. I know because half my father's family was like that. Even I had medium reddish streaked hair as a kid. Like the below photo.

Ethnic group
    Italian

To me, Damiano, front man for Moneskin, looks almost uniquely Italian, in contrast to what you might call a "Greek" look.

Maybe all men should wear eye makeup. :)

Not a good idea to go by people who have bleached their hair, plus whatever the sun does (look at the hair below the top layers and look at the root line in the second photo).
    23andme claims they found allels associated with photobleaching:
    Photobleaching is pretty common among people with European ancestry. In a recent 23andMe study, a little more than 72 percent of customers who agreed to participate in research (and have European ancestry) reported that the sun lightens their hair.
    https://www.23andme.com/topics/trait...hotobleaching/

Would be interesting to know whether there are population-level differences for this trait, independent of general hair color. I noticed even in childhood that some of my classmates were reacting more heavily than others. Like one went into summer vacations dark brown and came back light brown-dark blond, whereas others, while being heavily tanned, didn't change at all.
    That's also something I could observe among some relatives, that they differ a lot in this respect.

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Would be interesting to know whether there are population-level differences for this trait, independent of general hair color. I noticed even in childhood that some of my classmates were reacting more heavily than others. Like one went into summer vacations dark brown and came back light brown-dark blond, whereas others, while being heavily tanned, didn't change at all.
    That's also something I could observe among some relatives, that they differ a lot in this respect.
    I completely agree with you. My daughter was born platinum blonde; it darkened to light brown/medium brown, but starting in May it started and starts to bleach and by September is blonde again. However, as with the "blonde" Greek, the hair underneath is still darker. If it's really just photo bleaching the part line bleaches too, which isn't the case with this man. Plus, it's just got a a very recognizable "box bleach" color.

For what it's worth both her results and mine say our hair photo bleaches, with mine getting reddish streaks, which makes sense since I have one allele for red hair from my father's family. My son's results also point to photo bleaching and it's true. It's not true for my husband, and indeed it's almost black all year round.

Maybe you have to be a woman to understand these things. There's a reason why they sell so much bleach in Britain, Germany, and even the Scandinavian countries. Even children who are platinum haired usually turn brown haired with age. I know because half my father's family was like that. Even I had medium reddish streaked hair as a kid. Like the below photo.

The first guy is naturally dark blond, although his hair here is bleached to look some shades lighter. So he's blond. Furthermore, dark blond hair tends to get lighter and brighter in the summer naturally. I don‘t think that the other guy bleached anything since his beard and eyebrows are kinda strawberry blond.

It's a matter of fact that many Germans or Scandinavians that bleach their hair are still naturally blond, just not platinum or very bright/ whitish blond; but ash, sandy or dark blond. Many folks forget that blond hair comes in different shades and hues. By the way, there are still millions of naturally light blond folks in Northern Europe and Germany. Next to platinum blond hair medium or dark blond hair looks pretty dark anyway.

Ethnic group
    Tuscan

Sorry for the off topic:
    I posted my classfication thread in Anthropology & Ethnology section and got no answers, did I post in the wrong section?

Ethnic group
    Italian

The first guy is naturally dark blond, although his hair here is bleached to look some shades lighter. So he's blond. Furthermore, dark blond hair tends to get lighter and brighter in the summer naturally. I don‘t think that the other guy bleached anything since his beard and eyebrows are kinda strawberry blond.

It's a matter of fact that many Germans or Scandinavians that bleach their hair are still naturally blond, just not platinum or very bright/ whitish blond; but ash, sandy or dark blond. Many folks forget that blond hair comes in different shades and hues. By the way, there are still millions of naturally light blond folks in Northern Europe and Germany. Next to platinum blond hair medium or dark blond hair looks pretty dark anyway.

OK, calm down. Never said anything to the contrary.

Yes, opinions differ. What people call "dark blonde" is really just light brown as far as I'm concerned, and I've been surrounded by English and German and Irish descent since I moved to this country, and more importantly I've sat next to them in the colorist chair, and their hair by their thirties is just plain BROWN in my opinion. It's just part of the aging process.

This isn't blonde hair of any variety; it's brown hair that photobleaches.

Last edited by Angela; 09-06-21 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

I know some people with blond-red hair and the hues and shades of their hair change all the time. One time their hair looks almost fiery red or red as a carrot while at other times their hair looks light blond, and very bright blond. Boris Becker and a football player called Effenberg are such candidates. Tacitus described the Germanic people as being "rutilae comae" = "red, golden-red, reddish yellow". Therefore sometimes Germanic tribes are being described as redheads or blond at the same time. Anyway, I wonder why does some people hair color look red one time while the other time it's blond.

OK, calm down. Never said anything to the contrary.

Yes, opinions differ. What people call "dark blonde" is really just light brown as far as I'm concerned, and I've been surrounded by English and German and Irish descent since I moved to this country, and more importantly I've sat next to them in the colorist chair, and their hair by their thirties is just plain BROWN in my opinion. It's just part of the aging process.

This isn't blonde hair of any variety; it's brown hair that photobleaches.

I know the difference between dark blond and light brown hair, though.
    When I say dark or ash or sandy blond I don't mean light brown hair. Besides, in Germany people with chocolate or dark brown hair are often referred to as having black hair. Hence light brown hair isn't mistaken for blond in Germany unlike in Southern Europe.

The girls I know who bleach their hair are not brunettes but have dirty or ash-blond hair. Surely they are females with proper brown hair that bleach their hair. What my point was, is that blonde females bleach their hair too not only brunettes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast