Appearance of Sicilians relative to other Mediterraneans? (poll included)

Other than Italians, who is their best phenotypical match?

• Scandinavians (Swedes, Danes, etc.)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Spaniards or Portuguese

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Greeks

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Levant (Syria, Lebanon, Palestine)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • North Africa (Tunisia, Algeria, etc.)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
historically sicily had original tribal people called sicels in the centre of the island, the where greeks on the east and the carthagians/phoenicians in the west. These carthagians last 3 times longerin years in sicily than the greeks.
Question is what kind of people genetically was in north africa at the time when carthigian migrants went to sicily

historically sicily had original tribal people called sicels in the centre of the island, the where greeks on the east and the carthagians/phoenicians in the west. These carthagians last 3 times longerin years in sicily than the greeks.
Question is what kind of people genetically was in north africa at the time when carthigian migrants went to sicily

They would have been analogous to modern Kabyles, Riffians, and the like.

portrait%20of%20a%20small%20sicilian%20girl%20of%20common%20class.jpg
PICT0126.jpg
4eec417032d86908a86982caf14492ab.jpg
work.4729050.3.flat,550x550,075,f.sicilians.jpg

It's me or even deep Mediterranean Sicilia has some dinaric element? They resemble the Romanians somewhat.

There is a Dinaric influence, yes. I think Dinaric influences are present all throughout Southern Europe.

Did you vote one of the options on the poll btw?

I did vote the greeks. As for dinaric influence over Southern Europe, it is true but not in the case of the Iberian Peninsula.

There are Baskid types in Iberia that may RESEMBLE Dinarids but I think they are not classified as a proper Dinarid so they slightly differ.

There are Baskid types in Iberia that may RESEMBLE Dinarids but I think they are not classified as a proper Dinarid so they slightly differ.

Oh yes, when I sent my last post I was thinking about some basques and asturians too. Also there is some dinarization around Valencia (East) and Cadiz (southernmost tip of Spain). But it's not very common.

You can find some Dinaric element almost everywhere in Iberia, but it's never common. Not sure about Cadiz though.

Valencia and Northeast Iberia in general terms has a lot of Atlanto-Med types, which extent quite along the Western coast of France and also in Britain. Some Asturians have a really curious look, I found it very especific...maybe Dinarization has something to do there, who knows.

I personally don't see a clear match in average between Sicilians and Iberians. I think the poll is correct showing Greeks as the first option.

IMO, Sicilians closely resemble Greeks and Maltese. A modest percentage appear somewhat Levantine.

many sicilians overlap with greeks for the most part
for example i could tell you which of them seem more greek looking to me, the trophy of Megale Hellas goes to this one
IMG_4202.jpg
; but all of them seem Magno Greek

IMG_4169.jpg

This girl is very strange or exotic, I have the impression of having seen the face and expression in Phoenician or Punic archaeological figures maybe.

IMG_4169.jpg

This girl is very strange or exotic, I have the impression of having seen the face and expression in Phoenician or Punic archaeological figures maybe.

It's not exotic or strange, she seems Hellenic essentally
Your impression is right, she strikes as me as one of those face typically of antiquity in souh-eastern europe, not punic, because it isn't part of south-east or magna greacia propely, i'd say rather of greek island, like minoan, cretans etc or phoenician
the eyes are painted in antiquity fashion and seems greco-roman nib/rostrum
rostro.jpg

BTW Sicilians are no different from the other southern italians..
Looking on this map North-Eastern Sicilians (the area of Messina and Catania provinces) and south-western Calabria (the area around Reggio Calabria) have the most Greek autosomal heritage..
Indeed that area was that of the myth of Scylla and Charybdis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charybdis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla
Mappageneticaitalia.jpg

Attachments

• Mappageneticaitalia.jpg
    Mappageneticaitalia.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 51235 times.

Back