Who were Vandals?

Typical Slavic burrials are ones with no artefacts , and with burning of dead ones. Przeworsk culture use cremation but with rich artefacts and some time inhumation ( like Germans).
About land of origins of Slavs :
In attempt to localise the linguistic Urheimat, linguists have employed place names, especially hydronyms, as indirect evidence. According to one interpretation of the onomastic evidence, the most ancient recognizably Slavic hydronyms are to be found in northern and western Ukraine and southern Belarus. In fact, proto-Slavic has very well-developed terminology for inland bodies of water (lakes, river, swamps), as well as the flora and fauna indigenous to the temperate forest zone. In contrast, inherited Common Slavic vocabulary does not include detailed terminology for physical surface features peculiar of the mountains or the steppe, nor any relating to the sea, to coastal features, littoral flora or fauna, or salt water fishes.[17] Therefore, supporters of this line of reasoning view this area as the Urheimat of the Slavs.[5] Others, adopting a different methodology, note that the Common Slavic words for beech, larch and yew were foreign (Germanic) in origin, whilst that for hornbeam was native. Hence they argued that the original Slavic homeland was devoid of beech, larch and yew, but was plentiful in hornbeam. On the basis of the modern distribution of those trees (and assuming geo-botanical stability over the past two thousand years), some believe the Slavic urheimat was within the Pripet marshes, in Polesie.[18]
Although linguists cannot agree exactly where it first developed, the evidence shows that proto-Slavic remained archaic for over a millennium, suggesting that it developed in a relatively confined region and was spoken by a relatively compact body of peoples. Its spread has been dated to have begun in the 4th century, evidenced by increasing dialectical divergence and the acquisition of Germanic and Sarmatian loanwords
And Przeworsk was betwen Odra , Vistula , Tisa and Dniester
Przeworks culture was disapear in IV century during Hunic invasions , and one century later( V century) it has been replased by Prague- Korchak culture , that is clearly Slavic . New culture Iron work was more primitive then Przeworsk , so there is posibility that aeria was completly empty for some time before ariving of Slavs ( there is also archeological void in that time ).
Why Vandals would have to be Germanic R1b ( U106 ) , couldnt they be Celtic R1b ( U152/ S28 or even L21/S116) ? Or if they realy old like Tacitus say maybe G2a?

But nobody actually give me an answer on question which haplogroups would Vandals carry with them ?

Recently I read , that the Vandals where originally from modern Holstein just above the Venedi of mecklenburg. they where forced to migrate and went to the satring area of the oder, while the venedi travelled along the coast.

Whatever DNA that the angles, cimbri, saxons and holstein frisians are , I guess that is waht the vandals are, because they are from bascially the same starting area

Recently I read , that the Vandals where originally from modern Holstein just above the Venedi of mecklenburg. they where forced to migrate and went to the starting area of the oder, while the venedi travelled along the coast.

Whatever DNA that the angles, cimbri, saxons and holstein frisians are , I guess that is waht the vandals are, because they are from bascially the same starting area

I also remember I readed something like that . So it would be biger percent of R1b -U106 with lower percents of I1 and I2b , with some of haplogroups they encountered in aeria around Vistula when they get there - some more R1b and maybe some Baltic R1a.

About the Lugii (and perhaps to a lesser extent the rest of the region), they may well have been Celts (or closely related to them), or at least have a (Para-)Celtic substrate. They lived in the lands of the former Lusatian Culture. The Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture, in its article about the Urnfield Culture (where pre-proto-celtic was probably spoken), states that "...The culture is divided into many regional groups, the most substantial being the Lusatian (lausitz) group or culture that occupied Poland, east Germany, the former Czechoslovakia and the western Ukraine."

Me to believe they were Celts , I already menion that conecting them with Celtic god Lug.
Thanksfor joining debate

But nobody actually give me an answer on question which haplogroups would Vandals carry with them ?

Actually, yes:

The typically Germanic admixture is R1a, I1, I2b, R1b-U106. If the bearers of the Lusatian Culture were carriers of R1b-U152, then it is plausible that the Vandals would have an admixture of that as well.

Actually, yes:

The typically Germanic admixture is R1a, I1, I2b, R1b-U106. If the bearers of the Lusatian Culture were carriers of R1b-U152, then it is plausible that the Vandals would have an admixture of that as well.
Ok thanks . It also means they carried more Lusatian genes , because there is no I1 or I2b in Andalusia ( or it is less than 0,25% ) , and there is no of it in North Africa .
Thanks for answer

And Lusatians were most probably not only R1b but also strong R1a - Baltic .

Ok thanks . It also means they carried more Lusatian genes , because there is no I1 or I2b in Andalusia ( or it is less than 0,25% ) , and there is no of it in North Africa .
Thanks for answer

As I mentioned before, the likelihood that the Vandals left a very small genetic impact is very high. I elaborated this in an earlier post:

Also, to conclude, you must ask yourself something else: how likely is it that the Vandals left a decisive genetic impact in modern-day Tunisia? Not very big. First off, their kingdom in North Africa was rather short-lived and lasted only about a century before being destroyed by the Byzantines. Secondly, a massive pandemic depopulated the Mediterranean only after a decade after that war (the Plague of Justinian), and third, about a century later, the Umayyad Caliphate invaded North Africa and destroyed Carthage, the former capital city of the Vandals, which is why Tunis, which is even today the capital city of Tunisia, became the administrative center of the region. As a result, most Vandal men, or their descendants, would have been killed in one way or another.

And Lusatians were most probably not only R1b but also strong R1a - Baltic .

Yes, obviously there was older R1a in the area, dating back from the much earlier Corded Ware Culture (which was very likely the original source of R1a in Central/Eastern Europe and in Scandinavia).

Yes they probably left small genetic impact , but it is imposible they left none genetic impact
Thanks for answer

Yes they probably left small genetic impact , but it is imposible they left none genetic impact
Thanks for answer

Yes, but the likelihood that any Vandal Y-DNA in North Africa and Iberia (especially the former!) is basically just "background noise" is very high.

Yes we agreed . Thanks for answering

There were two kinds of impulses which created the Przeworsk culture: the southern one - Silesian celts and the northern one - Germanics from northern Denmark (Bornholm). The latter borrowed a lot from celts - military technics, religious practices, etc. Mention should be also made of the local dwellers Pomeranian culture, who for a very long time lived side by side with celts and germanics and changed their cultural practices only at a developed stage of Przeworsk culture (there were also found signs of Przeworsk-Pomeranian co-habitation on 9 out of 47 sites).
If to talk about haplogroups, then, in my opinion, these would look as follows:I1, I2b, R1b for the celto-germanic part. R1a1a1g, and especially R1a1a1g2 for the Pomeranian part.
P.S.
By the way, are there any R1a1a1g in Spain or Portugal?

Vandals are sometimes described as barbbaric people but they actualy had developed quite large culture.

Question

Actually, yes:

I am a little new to this but are you telling me that Germans were a mixture of haplo group U? I am unfamiliar with that haplo group. Isn't that a latter mutation?

Vandals were eastern Germanic, about haplogroups surely some I, some R1 and I guess some T and Q were carried by them.

I am a little new to this but are you telling me that Germans were a mixture of haplo group U? I am unfamiliar with that haplo group. Isn't that a latter mutation?

There's no haplogroup "U" in the yDna listed by Taranis. It's haplogroup R1b-U106: a subclade of R1b.

This thread has been viewed 66378 times.

Back