Germany - Land of culture

Reinaert

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Proto Celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1b2a2* SNP P312
I like to let you know how my neighbors really are!

I am Dutch, and I like Germany.

Nena

Nena and Kim Wilde

Another version:

Real good!

Another version of 99 air balloons...
Pure art!

Otto Waalkes again!

And this..

\

Well.. Honor this..
It should have been the national hymn of Germany.

Another very good artist!

Another very jood one..

If the videos you've posted are what defines German culture at it's best, it's time for me to shoot myself in the head!

If the videos you've posted are what defines German culture at it's best, it's time for me to shoot myself in the head!

:LOL:

I'd expect no different a reply from you, Mzungu.

Maybe you can post some videos that you think represent German culture at its best. Even if it's not mainstream... I have a feeling that you aren't 100% into German pop culture either.

Basically Reinaert wasn't completely wrong, but he took very stupid examples. I would say they fully represent the likes of the blue-collar worker above the age of at least 45.

I don't want people to think that German popular music only consists of jolly brass music, Rammstein and 99 versions of the same Nena song.

The mainstream music young Germans listen to isn't much different from the rest of Western Europe. About 80% or more is from the US, UK or music in english language from any other country. The songs sung in German are mostly comprised of pop-rock, electronic pop, Hip Hop and also R'n'B. But due to language it usually doesn't make it across the German border. In contrast to popular belief abroad, German metal isn't so mainstream and popular here, but it makes a good export product to other countries.

Here are some examples of typical German mainstream pop-music the average German youngster listens to. These songs all have been smashing hits in during the 2000's.

Probably Germany's most famous Gypsy, SIDO, a pionieer of gangsta rap in German language...

Söhne Mannheims (from Mannheim), who invented R'n'B in German language in the 90's...

famous group from Munich, 'Sportfreunde Stiller'

electronic beats and German lyrics, 'Deichkind' from Hamburg

another very popular German pop-rock band, 'Wir sind Helden'

Well.. I like Beethoven most..

Moonlight Sonata

Well the only recent German group I know is Tokyo Hotel... which was perhaps more popular with French teenage girl than in its native country.

But like Reinaert I prefer Beethoven

If there has been a time during which German music has been slightly more distinct from other European countries, it was the first half of the 20th century.

Popular music in the late 19th and early 20th century was almost inextricably linked with the operetta, a light form of the opera, with trivial plots, dialogues between the music and more or less also lighter music. Centers of the operetta were Berlin and Vienna. Many operettas contained one or more songs which became famous hits.
It was also the time in which the popularity of march music was at it's peak. Germans were proud of having become a world power, and demonstrating it's strength, enormous patriotism, as well as military culture became sort of a life style. This was especially the case in Northern Germany which stood in the tradition of Prussia's military culture.

Famous march of the operetta "Frau Luna" by Paul Lincke 1899. Berliner Luft - the Air of Berlin

The 1920's, the Weimar era, was characterized by the cabaret. Besides a lot of shows in Berlin (my grand-grandfather was a conductor at a cabaret, BTW), also many records were produced which were sold in high numbers to the average population. Most of these songs were swaying between political satire, sexual hints as well as complete non-sense.

She has a big Nazi, she has a small Nazi. She likes them both very much and is an expert in Nazis so to say (but spurns everything that's got style)

What are you doing with your knee, dear Hans, while we are dancing? (You are so disgusting!)

Comedian Harmonists with "A little green cactus is on my balcony"

When the Nazis came to power they set an end to that sort of culture, to prevent further political critisism and fornication. Popular songs became trivial with low intellectual demand. During WWII many songs were about hope and staying power, like rallying calls for the population.
Ironically, and for the same reason, the same songs partly also became anthems of the opposition and the persecuted. This was highlighted in the fact that the most important Nazi-composer of that time, Bruno Balz himself spent much of is time in Gestapo inprisonment (because of his homosexuality), but was still asked to compose these songs.

Bruno Balz composed this song for the movie "Die grosse Liebe" in 1941, sung by Zarah Leander, while he was in prison. Without intention of the Nazis, this song became an anthem of the persecuted.
"Davon geht die Welt nicht unter" - "It won't be the end of the world - because we still need it tomorrow"

Well the only recent German group I know is Tokyo Hotel... which was perhaps more popular with French teenage girl than in its native country.

lol :LOL:

Youtube is full of French teenage girls who sing their versions of Tokio Hotel:

After WWII Germany was occupied by the Allied Forces, for four years a German government or state didn't exist. There was no official name for the territory. Nevertheless, (Western) Germany participated at the first Bicycle Race World Cup in 1948. As there was no national anthem either, Germans started to sing this song:

"We are the aboriginals of Trizonesia, hey tshimela tshimela tshimela tshimela BOOM!"
(Refering to the three western zones, USA, Britain and France)

And now we come to the reason why Italians still hate us today ;)

Two incidents tied Germans and Italy closer together from the 1950's on. The first one was the growing economy in Germany (The economic miracle), which asked for more workers than there were people in Germany. Italians were the first "guest-workers" to come to Germany, and for the first time Germans experienced contact to an immigration group on a larger scale.
On the other hand, due to rising salaries, Germans even of lower classes were suddenly able to afford holydays on a larger scale, with Italy becoming a popular destination. Most Germans of course have never experienced such hot weather, beautiful landscapes, architecture, Italian food and beautiful people before. The longing for Southern Europe became great as ever, especially when the holyday was over.
Still today Germans drive in masses to Southern Europe in summer (not always a pleasure for the local people), and a lot of German trivial songs are about the Southern sun and it's people.

This song, "Two little Italians" is about both topics. About two Italian "guest-workers" who are longing for their home and want to go back to Italy to see their family, while we want to go their only for holyday.

Of course Italians were upset and spotted a certain racism in it. But again it underlines the saying: "Germans love Italians without respecting them, Italians respect Germans without loving them". (Sometimes though I think that the word Italians can be replaced by actually any other Western and Southern Europeans.)

This thread has been viewed 17547 times.

Back