Poll: What will Ötzi's Y-DNA haplogroup be?

What will Ötzi's Y-DNA haplogroup be?

• F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I2b-ADR

• I2c

• I2*

• J1

• J2

• L

• N1c1

• Q

• R1a

• R1b L11-

• T

• other

• Total voters

sparkey

Great Adventurer
Reaction score
Ethnic group
3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
mtDNA haplogroup
U4a (Cornish)
Remember, his Y-DNA should be published soon. So, take a guess! I'd like to see tallies. Recall that he lived 5,300 years ago in the Italian Alps.

I'm guessing G2a.

Interesting poll! I agree that G2a is a likely possibility (given how G2a appears to be *the* Neolithic Haplgroup in Europe), but the interesting question should be this: if he is not G2a what is the most likely he could be?

Interesting poll! I agree that G2a is a likely possibility (given how G2a appears to be *the* Neolithic Haplgroup in Europe), but the interesting question should be this: if he is not G2a what is the most likely he could be?

I thought it would be too easy to say "I" so I split it up into a bunch of subclades in the poll. Of my options, I think I2a1, especially its subclade I2a1a, had the largest spread in Ötzi's region during his time, so I think it's possibility #2. But his mtDNA was an odd extinct subclade, so I wouldn't be surprised if we found something similarly rare or even extinct for Y-DNA, like I2* or I* or F*.

I thought it would be too easy to say "I" so I split it up into a bunch of subclades in the poll. Of my options, I think I2a1, especially its subclade I2a1a, had the largest spread in Ötzi's region during his time, so I think it's possibility #2. But his mtDNA was an odd extinct subclade, so I wouldn't be surprised if we found something similarly rare or even extinct for Y-DNA, like I2* or I* or F*.

I agree that something extremely rare or extinct is absolutely possible, given how the Neolithic site in Germany yielded F* alongside of G2a. What is absolutely unlikely is any one of the following:

- N1c1
- Q
- L

I also think that J1, J2, R1a and R1b are rather unlikely, especially R1b would totally surprise me at this point.

I agree that something extremely rare or extinct is absolutely possible, given how the Neolithic site in Germany yielded F* alongside of G2a. What is absolutely unlikely is any one of the following:

- N1c1
- Q
- L

I also think that J1, J2, R1a and R1b are rather unlikely, especially R1b would totally surprise me at this point.

I tend to agree. Would you say that we're still so confused about E1b that we can say that it is neither likely nor unlikely to appear?

I tend to agree. Would you say that we're still so confused about E1b that we can say that it is neither likely nor unlikely to appear?

Yes, E1b is a mystery. I must admit that I was quite baffled by the absence of E1b in Neolithic sites. Given how E1b has some very high concentrations in certain parts of Europe (Iberia, northern France and the Balkans - especially Albania), it is quite a mystery.

Is this a contest? Do I win something when I'm correct? Will the price be split if more than one is correct?

Is this a contest? Do I win something when I'm correct? Will the price be split if more than one is correct?

Good one. At the end, your guess may be just as good (or just as bad) as anybody else's. :grin:

I voted R1b L11+, because I couldn't choose between I1 or I2 and their subclades.

For the case sparkey changes his mind and he decides to hand over a price that will be split, I precautiously set my vote on an option no one has bet on so far. :wary2:

I will personally see to it that the winner(s) get +rep. (What, were you expecting more than "reputation" on an Internet forum poll? :grin:)

I voted for I2a. Will see!

Huh? Why can't we see anymore who voted for which option? In any case, I voted I2a1, too!

Really? Did you try clicking on the underlined tallies? I see everybody's votes. I would like to hear Semitic Duwa's explanation for "I* or IJ" in particular... really interesting choice! Personally, that's how I would vote if Ötzi was a Cro-Magnon, but I think his time period is probably too late for I* or IJ (but you never know!).

Really? Did you try clicking on the underlined tallies? I see everybody's votes. I would like to hear Semitic Duwa's explanation for "I* or IJ" in particular... really interesting choice! Personally, that's how I would vote if Ötzi was a Cro-Magnon, but I think his time period is probably too late for I* or IJ (but you never know!).

Oops I didn't know about that option, thanks!

e1b

i guess this is my one and only chance to get some rep.

Well, as I said, we're pretty much tapping in the dark with E1b (with exception of E-M81, I would say, upon second thought), so who knows. (y)

I voted R1b-L11. Perhaps S116 or U106.

This thread has been viewed 1278600 times.

Back