New map of haplogroup R1b-L21 (S145)

Maciamo do you have seen the study of Tofanelli?there are samples from all over Italy.

Being the L21 haplo 4500 years old their actual extension could be related also to the Atlantic (Late) Bronze Age...

Atlantic Bronze.jpg

Is there a way to see the valverde et al (2016) spreadsheet. Thank You.

Last edited:
Is there a way to see the valverde et al (2016) spreadsheet. Thank You.

This looks like Celtic haplo. For an amateur like me it seems like Celts originated in Britannia region. Irish, Scots and Welsh, as derivatives of Celts look like founding effect of Celts!!!

According to my L21 results with 23 and me I am an alleged descendant of Ui Neill, but I see references to m222, whereas I have m269. Hoping for an explanation as I am new at this and it seem unlikely that Ui Neill bless his departed soul would have been both, unless one leads to another?

Gee, I am the same haplogroup. I'm in Perth, Australia but all ancestors from Ireland, England and Scotland. Dad did have Vikings Disease. Could be the Norwegian connection. Regards, Greg.

@Maciamo:
I think is quite clear old Celts mostly had 0 blood group.
Check how high frequency has 0 in Republic of Ireland:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country
Also, they carried very few B, think Ireland has a little higher B, because it was brought by Vikings.
Would be interested to test the blood of males with R1B-L21 and see what is the percentage of 0 at them :) .

In Brittany in the 930s, the Loire Viking leaders had Breton names. So there may be more “Celtic rebel” involvement in Viking than is commonly portrayed.

Any data specifically for eastern Cambridgeshire and western Suffolk? My Tweed ancestors have a Brythonic surname, identify with the Welsh, and are recorded in south-east England parish registers since the early 1400s.

The region was settled by Bretons after 1066.

O+ is frequent everywhere: I, my mother and sister, and my first generation Malaysian Chinese wife have it.

In Brittany in the 930s, the Loire Viking leaders had Breton names. So there may be more “Celtic rebel” involvement in Viking than is commonly portrayed.

Amazed. Could you cite your sources and give some names?

I have updated the R1b-L21 map using the more accurate data for Iberia from Valverde et al. (2016) and for France from Lucotte et al (2015). The new data allowed me to add L21 in Corsica, Sardinia and around Rome, and to increase it in north-western France and around Paris. I have also revised down the frequencies in England, Lowland Scotland, Leinster and Ulster.

Haplogroup-R1b-L21.png

Would you have any info on R-L21>DF13

I trace one of my ancestral lines to a Person (surname Basse) who migrated from London (we think) to the Colony of Virginia in circa 1653. I've been attempting to put together a hypothesis as to how this flavor R1b1 wound up in London.

One suggestion was a Pict taken captive by Agricola during his campaign into the north of Britiain.

Any data specifically for eastern Cambridgeshire and western Suffolk? My Tweed ancestors have a Brythonic surname, identify with the Welsh, and are recorded in south-east England parish registers since the early 1400s.

The region was settled by Bretons after 1066.

I saw a thread about this in ANTHROGENICA FORUM about Suffolk

View attachment 12111

Tolan has posted this on anthrogenica, showing that an early bronze age individual from the region of Montpellier in southern France (PIR3037AB) apparently belonged to L21 DF21
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread...raphic-history&p=670205&viewfull=1#post670205

I think that the only way to determine that PIR3037AB is L21>DF21 (and M222) is based on the paper's mention that it is R1b1a1b1a1a2c1a5c3c1. However the SNP listed in the paper is not found anywhere. For my part I very much doubt that this sample could belong to a relatively recent Irish clade. Surely a mistake.

This thread has been viewed 105750 times.

Back