Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukraine's genetics

Ethnic group
    Ukrainian

Quote Originally Posted by Bodin View Post
    I am not realy shore why this decrease hapened . One of possible explanations could be : if Scythians were R1a and Sarmathians I2a1b , than since border betwen Scythia and Sarmathia ( VII - II century BC) was on Don river ( egzacly place where R1a fall from 50% to 40%)and first Sarmathian intrusion was in that region , they probably killed more Scythians ( R1a ) than in other places , also R1a would start retreating toward west infront of Sarmathian atacks . This is one explanation not necesarly true .Thanks for answering
    Thanks to all for interesting commentsI With regard to Bodin's quote above, are there any known similarity with distribution of mtDNA HGs?
    The importnat point also, when we are talking about present populations, is that the region of Black Sea and Azov Sea steppes was repeatedly and almost totally repopulated, whereaz populations of Central Ukraine and Central Russia (Moscow region) seem to be more informative. And, for clearer picture, one should look primarily at markers from country-folks and not from the cities.

A good resource for following the research on Mt DNA is http://www.phylotree.org It not only gives you a constantly updated all-human Mt DNA haplogroup tree, but also has a section listing the articles from which it got its information, most of which are accessible on line for double checking. You are quite right in your final sentence. The company which tested both my ancestral markers DNA, a Canada-based outfit at http://www.genebase.com has clickable info on its home page (you look for "DNA Ancestry" and scroll down to "Indigenous DNA": they list 152 available tested populations. But you have to do your own verifying research. AFAIK there's nothing yet for Ukraine. I don't know where Eupedia got its Ukraine Mt DNA numbers [the "by country section"]. Perhaps someone else (Dorianfinder?) might inform us.
    Last edited by razor; 26-09-11 at 15:48. Reason: spelling

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

Ethnic group
    Catalan

New autosomal data is available thanks to the Yunusbayev et al. (2011) samples. You can check the Ukranians_Y average here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...COCa89AJ#gid=0

Thanks for this, Knovas! Clicking further, I found the mention of new ancient DNA analysis in a recent thesis (not available until August 2012), based on material from southeastern Ukraine (the Dnipro-Donetsk and an unnamed Bronze age kurgan culture) which demonstrates that the population's Mt DNA may still have been largely Eurasian ca. 5000/2000 BCE): haplotype C in all three Bronze Age individuals, and in 3 of the 13 Dnipro Donetsk skeletons. I've posted this information in the Mt DNA section of our forum. We have no male ancestry info yet.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

Ethnic group
    Catalan

This is very old razor, don't know if much Ukranians belong to C subclades today. It's clear some Northeast Asian + Southeast Asian is reported between them, but this might be due to haplogroup Q (Y-DNA).

Quite usual to find "surprises" when we deal with ancient DNA found in Europe, I don't think this is much relevant today. However, it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Knovas View Post
    This is very old razor, don't know if much Ukranians belong to C subclades today. It's clear some Northeast Asian + Southeast Asian is reported between them, but this might be due to haplogroup Q (Y-DNA).

Quite usual to find "surprises" when we deal with ancient DNA found in Europe, I don't think this is much relevant today. However, it's interesting.
    Would you know the source of the figures used in Eupedia's "mtDNA by country" table on the home page? There's an "Other" segment for all, which has high figures here and there (the explanation adds that among these could also be C: the "Other" figure for contemporary Ukraine is 6%). One intimation of the 2011 thesis mentioned above is that mt C persisted in Ukraine's steppen population for millenia (apparently the Bronze age individuals were carriers of mutated later versions). Which raises the issue of the time of the changeover etc.) As you say, mostly of historical interest today.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Would you know the source of the figures used in Eupedia's "mtDNA by country" table on the home page?
    Maciamo keeps an incomplete list of his sources here. I'm not certain which, if any, were used for Ukraine, maybe Maciamo can dig up his reference.

Ethnic group
    Ukrainian

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    A good resource for following the research on Mt DNA is / It not only gives you a constantly updated all-human Mt DNA haplogroup tree, but also has a section listing the articles from which it got its information, most of which are accessible on line for double checking. You are quite right in your final sentence. The company which tested both my ancestral markers DNA, a Canada-based outfit at \ has clickable info on its home page (you look for "DNA Ancestry" and scroll down to "Indigenous DNA": they list 152 available tested populations. But you have to do your own verifying research. AFAIK there's nothing yet for Ukraine. I don't know where Eupedia got its Ukraine Mt DNA numbers [the "by country section"]. Perhaps someone else (Dorianfinder?) might inform us.
    Razor,
    Thanks for this info.
    I guess, it is still too expensive for rezidents of Ukraine to make such DNA tests. The only hope is for the diaspora in the USA, Canada, Europe, who can reliably trace their origin to particular regions of Ukraine, as in your case. If there would be interest in this, we could learn more. Do you agree?

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

According to this study - "Y-chromosome Short Tandem Repeat DYS458.2 Non-consensus Alleles Occur Independently in Both Binary Haplogroups J1-M267 and R1b3-M405" - Ukraine has 25% of R1b. And Russia 21.4%

here is the link: http://www.cmj.hr/2007/48/4/17696299.htm

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

Ethnic group
    Catalan

That's pretty high in comparison with the percents showed in Eupedia. It's curious that, according to the autosomal results, Ukraine has a lot of West European, wich could be linked to R1b.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

Quote Originally Posted by Knovas View Post
    That's pretty high in comparison with the percents showed in Eupedia. It's curious that, according to the autosomal results, Ukraine has a lot of West European, wich could be linked to R1b.
    Yes, I think the same way!

Yes, the figure of 4% in Eupedia seems rather low. This only reinforces the need to do more adequate testing in Ukraine, including its more recent diaspora (as Oleh suggests). As a matter of interest, the results from the village of Rashkove near the Ukrainian-Moldavian border (a sample of 53 reported by Vazari) is: 18.9% R1b (of which 13.2% are M-269), 41.5% R1a1 (M-17), and 20.8% I2a (mostly Dinarics I would assume). The comparative figure among nearby Moldavians (not from the Ukrainian village) is: 16.7% M-269 (sample size 126) and 13% among Romanians (sample size 54).

1 members found this post helpful.
    Myres et al 2010 study has better sample size for R1b in Ukraine, and it is divided by subclades (xls): A major Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b Holocene era founder effect in Central and Western Europe

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

Ethnic group
    Catalan

R1b in Russia is showed higher than here too, and the West European is also quite high. The same could be aplied.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Shetop View Post
    Myres et al 2010 study has better sample size for R1b in Ukraine, and it is divided by subclades (xls): A major Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b Holocene era founder effect in Central and Western Europe
    Not saying that there is a mistake here, but this is not-passworded MS Excel file and everybody can change data in it, and post it again.
    In this case we have to be very careful and sure that the source is kosher.

So far it doesn't say that it was modified.
    picture004.jpg

Here is some ancient Trypillian DNA analysis (unfortunately only mtDNA)
    iansa.eu/papers/IANSA-2010-01-02-nikitin.pdf

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4o

Ethnic group
    Down Under

was'nt the Ukraine the border of the germanic Peucini tribe ( related to the Bastanae germans) . as ptolemy states from Alexandria.

Beyond the montes Bastanaes ( carpathian mountains ) are the Bastanae, beyond them reside the Peucini, beyond them reside the Gottones and beyond them on the baltic sea are the Venedi.

Does germanic people have R1b and I1 or am I too early to state the R1b
    Father's Mtdna H95a1
    Grandfather Mtdna T2b24
    Great Grandfather Mtdna T1a1e
    GMother paternal side YDna R1b-S8172
    Mother's YDna R1a-Z282

Y-DNA data for Ukrainians (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/europe...logroups.shtml) should be updated based on this:

Source: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0135820

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shetop View Post
    Thanks ! I hadn't seen that study. I have now incorporated the data in the Y-DNA tables. The biggest change is an increase in I2a1 (from 13% to 20.5%). There are also noticeable decreases in J2 (7% => 4.5%) and N1c (7.5% => 5.5%). The rest is stable within 1%.
    Check this selection of my best forum topics
    My book selection
    ---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12