Autosomal map : European admixture (from Dodecad)

Since my countrymen were mentioned several times on this thread I'd like to make a comment.

I am a 'pure' Georgian. My father, grandfather, great grandfather were blond with dark blue eyes. (reminding you that we have 0% Slavic blood in our family). Because of my maternal side I am darker with brown eyes. In Europe where I currently live people think that I am Italian or Spanish. I don't write this to prove anything or have inferiority complex and want to be 'European' :) I'm proud to be Georgian and just my family's history starts earlier than that of many European states. Just want to mention that on Interpetome.com my results come among European on HGDP World (100 000 SNP). There are Near Eastern clusters close-by too but I am surrounded by European triangles :)

Hi Kardu,

Well, I'm not surprised for the Interpretome results, still a work in process but very interesting tool. Davidski, the Eurogenes genome blogger, made special mention of this: http://bga101.blogspot.com/2011/06/interpretome-online-genome-analysis.html

I share genomes with an ethnic Georgian like you at 23andme, and although he has the highest similarity with Southern Europe (in a low value compared with Southern Europeans), there is also a very high similarity with the Near East. He doesn't cluster in the map with Europeans, also he does not cluster with Near Easterns. He just does not cluster with anybody except other Georgians (I asume). So your results seem reasonable to me, probably others would get similar reports as yours on Interpretome.

You are Caucasians, that's the most accurate definition. Of course, light traits can appear sometimes, nothing rare on this.

You are Caucasians, that's the most accurate definition. Of course, light traits can appear sometimes, nothing rare on this.

someone who knows the Caucasus, he knows how usual this is. You can read it in many books.

Since my countrymen were mentioned several times on this thread I'd like to make a comment.

I am a 'pure' Georgian. My father, grandfather, great grandfather were blond with dark blue eyes. (reminding you that we have 0% Slavic blood in our family). Because of my maternal side I am darker with brown eyes. In Europe where I currently live people think that I am Italian or Spanish. I don't write this to prove anything or have inferiority complex and want to be 'European' :) I'm proud to be Georgian and just my family's history starts earlier than that of many European states. Just want to mention that on Interpetome.com my results come among European on HGDP World (100 000 SNP). There are Near Eastern clusters close-by too but I am surrounded by European triangles :)

Thats nothing unusual for West Asians. All Kurds I have seen so far on 23andme cluster first with South European, second North European and third Near Eastern. This simply means that they cluster rather with Europeans than Southwest Asians however on global maps they dont appear as Near Eastern nor in European cluster. They disappear as if they have an own cluster but very close to Europeans.

Hi Kardu,

Well, I'm not surprised for the Interpretome results, still a work in process but very interesting tool. Davidski, the Eurogenes genome blogger, made special mention of this: http://bga101.blogspot.com/2011/06/interpretome-online-genome-analysis.html

I share genomes with an ethnic Georgian like you at 23andme, and although he has the highest similarity with Southern Europe (in a low value compared with Southern Europeans), there is also a very high similarity with the Near East. He doesn't cluster in the map with Europeans, also he does not cluster with Near Easterns. He just does not cluster with anybody except other Georgians (I asume). So your results seem reasonable to me, probably others would get similar reports as yours on Interpretome.

I agree that the Caucasians would be the most accurate definition at the moment. More people needs to be tested from our region for more fine-grained analysis, it's very few of us compared to other populations.
As for the 23andme, there too I am among southern Europeans and not really close to Middle Easterners. Interpretome Reference Populations at 100 000 SNPs places me alone at equal distance between Europeans and Middle Easterners :)

someone who knows the Caucasus, he knows how usual this is. You can read it in many books.

Indeed, Alan, not that I consider light skin and blue/grey eyes admirable or desirable but it is a common trait in the Caucasus and has nothing to do with Slavic admixture. It is attested by medieval travelers and Greek and Latin authors.

Indeed i consider pure caucasian people look not so completely foreign to at least the look of italians and people from the balkans.
I think that caucasian people are goodlooking too, and many of them seems to be very tall.
I wouldn't distingue a caucasian for an italian if i saw him in italy, probably if he had a bit of a dissimilar look i would think he was from the balkans, but then in italy we have those looks too.

Indeed i consider pure caucasian people look not so completely foreign to at least the look of italians and people from the balkans.
I think that caucasian people are goodlooking too, and many of them seems to be very tall.
I wouldn't distingue a caucasian for an italian if i saw him in italy, probably if he had a bit of a dissimilar look i would think he was from the balkans, but then in italy we have those looks too.
I personally was thought to be Italian by Italians in Spain several times :) As of height, indeed many people in Georgia are pretty tall. My grandfather and great-grandfather were 196 cm, I am just 180 because of my grandma probably but my cousins are still 190+ cm.

They are very similar comparing with Europeans, although genetically speaking it's possible to make the distinction. Anyways, Caucasians are very relevant in Europe, since almost all Europeans have some West Asian admixture. Actually, only Baltics, Northeast Iberians and Basques, seem to lack the component frequently.

Possibly ethnic Catalans are the ones with less of this admixture as the West Asian map shows.

Indeed, genetically they area bit removed from the core bulk, but if you see for example finnish or russians, they are as equally distants to europeans as people from the caucasus... so Who is european or not is quite relative..

and for me it's more important the looks, and people from the caucasus don't look foreign in italy or the balkans.

also for example sardinians are very genetically distant from italians, but they don't look alien in italy

I personally was thought to be Italian by Italians in Spain several times :) As of height, indeed many people in Georgia are pretty tall. My grandfather and great-grandfather were 196 cm, I am just 180 because of my grandma probably but my cousins are still 190+ cm.

here in italy as you have seen from the genetic map we have some genes shared with people from the caucasus, the peak of this genes is in the Adyghe people or Circassians..
this range from a 20%-30% of genes shared.
In the balkans is the same, expecially in the southern part of the balkans.

I think it should be curious and fashinating, know the history of the spread of genes from the caucasus to the balkans and italy, like the ancient migrantion that brought them there.. or could it be that all the people of europe comes from the caucasian area in pre historic times

Hello, the server does not allow me to enter the forum.

No Julia. At least, all the all the Finns I remember to share genomes with me clustered with Northern Europe, but it's possible some Russians near the Urals show what you say (as well as Northern Finnish). The average Finns and Russians cluster with Northern Europe at the top.

MDS1600.png

not from all the european people.. adyge are more near to suoth eastern european, than finnish are

Because the Finns as I said are too Northern. The closest reference are Lituanians and Belarusians, followed by Russians according to the Doug McDonald plot. I guess it's pretty similar to yours, I don't see all populations clearly, but the vast majority.

Possibly ethnic Catalans are the ones with less of this admixture as the West Asian map shows.

What is the genetic footprint of Phoenicians among contemporary ethnic Catalans?

Autosomally speaking, If there was Phoenecian genes among ethnic Catalans, it has been totaly replaced, or almost entirely. Perhaps it's possible to find a little portion of E subclades, G2a or J2, but note this haplogroups are quite low among them, and very difficult to be linked with the Phoenicians. It is believed they spread more likely haplogroup T, wich is actually absent between Catalans.

I guess the Phoenicians were very famous in ancient times to make business in the Catalan coast (as well as others), and it's something has been integrated as part of the Catalan history. But it doesn't mean the genetic impact was significant, it basically seems it was nearly insignificant. Most of the haplogroups I mentioned, were surely brought by the Romans, not the Phoenicians.

Autosomally speaking, If there was Phoenecian genes among ethnic Catalans, it has been totaly replaced, or almost entirely. Perhaps it's possible to find a little portion of E subclades, G2a or J2, but note this haplogroups are quite low among them, and very difficult to be linked with the Phoenicians. It is believed they spread more likely haplogroup T, wich is actually absent between Catalans.

I guess the Phoenicians were very famous in ancient times to make business in the Catalan coast (as well as others), and it's something has been integrated as part of the Catalan history. But it doesn't mean the genetic impact was significant, it basically seems it was nearly insignificant. Most of the haplogroups I mentioned, were surely brought by the Romans, not the Phoenicians.

True, Phoenician genetic legacy still remains a mystery all around Mediterranean.
Speaking of ethnic Catalans I've also read (and spoke with some people of these surnames) that many surnames which are considered Catalan actually are of conversos, those like: [FONT=&quot]Galiana, Moyà, Bou, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martí, Miró, Picó and many more both in Catalonia and Baleares. I guess they belong to hg E and J you mention.[/FONT]

Actually Catalunya is quite influenced by the rest of the Peninsula, but it's something probably started to happen from 1714, when the Castilians got Barcelona and Catalunya was definetly integrated with the rest. Anyways, specially during Franco's dictature, was when more peoples from other parts of Iberia came there to live. But still can find people who's heritage is 100% Catalan, or in a very high degree.

Also, ethnic Catalans usually have surnames of French origin, like Soler (Soiler) and similars. But I guess this is quite old, and it's perfectly known the Catalan language have several similarities with French, so I'd take this as native. In my opinion, the most ethnic Catalans you can find nowadays are in towns of the Tarragona province (not around the coast), and towns around Central Catalunya. This are regions like the Alt Camp, Conca de Barberà, Segarra (South), Anoia (South), and possibly parts of Urgell.

This thread has been viewed 206347 times.

Back