Pharaos were Europeans

Carl Lundström

Reaction score
In the year 2009 extended DNA-tests had been carried out with the mummy of Tutankamun and other members for his family. These have only partially been published in February 2010. Despite several demands, the results of the Y-DNA tests have been shut away.

Swiss iGenea corp. was able to reconstruct the Y-DNA profile of Tutankhamun, his father Akhenaten and his grandfather Amenhotep III with the help of a recording of the Discovery Channel. The astonishing result: Tutankhamun belongs to the haplogroup R1b1a2, which more than 50% of all men in Western Europe belong to.

Is this company correct in their reporting or is it a sales gimmick in order to get customers to test how much Pharaoh the have in them?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is, at this time, better reason to distrust iGENEA on the subject than to trust them. See Dienekes.

There is, at this time, better reason to distrust iGENEA on the subject than to trust them. See Dienekes.

I'd like to second that. We probably have to wait until another DNA analysis is performed on the mummy itself, which wasn't possible back when the original analyses took place. Having said this, even if Pharao Tutankhamum was indeed R1b-M269 that doesn't make him automatically 'European', in particular because M269 for instance also occurs in Anatolia and the Caucasus. It's only the subclade R1b-P310 (also called R1b-L11) that is uniquely (Western) European.

EDIT: I would like to inform everybody that I've allowed myself to make use of moderator powers and fixed the typos in the thread title. :)

In other news 85%+ of Irishmen are "Central Asian" -- given R1b probably arose in Central asia ;)

This thread has been viewed 8667 times.

Back