How did I2a-Din get to the Balkans?

How did I2a-Din get to the Balkans?

• Total voters
Did anyone noticed that if you do not take into consideration North Russia,all Slavic speaking areas and Romania (which have the language cleansed of Slavic origin words,in the name of Latinism) have significant percentages of I2-din?
There is main stream theory,that Slavic speakers came around 600 AD.
Question is,how is possible to explain some common folk customs seen at Romanians at all Slavs,like welcoming someone with bread and salt?
Other question,why Hutsuls are bearing in such high percentage I2-din?
And they have a typical Vlach look.
They speak some kind of Ukrainian.
Maybe initially I2-din people spread from Balkans and Romania to North,West and East and spread a language,that has some words common to today Slavic and some cultural things.
After,most of these people were conquered by Baltic speakers and so we got the language closed to today Slavic language.
R1-Z280 seems to be of Baltic origins,there is another R1A,M458 or so,which has the maximum in Poland,which seems to be also associated with Slavic people.
I do not know what these people I2-din were,I do not think they were Thraco-Dacians,most probable is that Thraco-Dacians were mostly bearing R1b-ht35.
Something that could come as a proof to sustain this theory will be to calculate the distance between today Latvian and Lithuanian to:
Russian,Polish,Belarussian,Ukrainian,Serbo-Croatian,Czech and Slovak languages,Bulgarian language.
I have the strange impression that Latvian and Lithuanian are closest to Polish language.
Anyway,if South Slavic languages are most further away from Latvian and Lithuanian,this theory,with Baltic people conquering the proto-Slavic people and form the actual Slavic language,will make a lot of sense.

Romanian have a few cognates with Lithuanian,which are not seen in any other Indo-European language.

Did anyone noticed that if you do not take into consideration North Russia,all Slavic speaking areas and Romania (which have the language cleansed of Slavic origin words,in the name of Latinism) have significant percentages of I2-din?
There is main stream theory,that Slavic speakers came around 600 AD.
Question is,how is possible to explain some common folk customs seen at Romanians at all Slavs,like welcoming someone with bread and salt?
Other question,why Hutsuls are bearing in such high percentage I2-din?
And they have a typical Vlach look.
They speak some kind of Ukrainian.
Maybe initially I2-din people spread from Balkans and Romania to North,West and East and spread a language,that has some words common to today Slavic and some cultural things.
After,most of these people were conquered by Baltic speakers and so we got the language closed to today Slavic language.
R1-Z280 seems to be of Baltic origins,there is another R1A,M458 or so,which has the maximum in Poland,which seems to be also associated with Slavic people.
I do not know what these people I2-din were,I do not think they were Thraco-Dacians,most probable is that Thraco-Dacians were mostly bearing R1b-ht35.
Something that could come as a proof to sustain this theory will be to calculate the distance between today Latvian and Lithuanian to:
Russian,Polish,Belarussian,Ukrainian,Serbo-Croatian,Czech and Slovak languages,Bulgarian language.
I have the strange impression that Latvian and Lithuanian are closest to Polish language.
Anyway,if South Slavic languages are most further away from Latvian and Lithuanian,this theory,with Baltic people conquering the proto-Slavic people and form the actual Slavic language,will make a lot of sense.

Romanian have a few cognates with Lithuanian,which are not seen in any other Indo-European language.

Customs do not change because the slavic language came into romania/balkans.........................if romania adopted english as a language , you will still retain romanian customs

Welcoming with bread and salt was also a very old custom in Poland - here the wedding of Mieszko I and Doubravka in year 965 AD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVaq8gqQfQ#t=170

Yes. Lithuanian and Latvian languages had a lot of Polish loanwords and other Polish linguistic influences.

Lithuania and Latvia were parts of Rzeczpospolita for many centuries and have been under strong Polish cultural influence.

There have also been very numeous and influential Polish minorities in both Lithuania and southern Latvia.

===================================

Ethnic composition of Ilūkste District and town of Grīva in 1919 (in south-eastern Latvia):

Poles = 9207 = 53.13%
Russians = 5068
Latvians = 1396 = 8.06%
Belarusians = 1273
Lithuanians = 251
Jews = 134

Total = 17329

Polish minority in Latvia has been concentrated in south-eastern regions, historically known as Polish Livonia and Courland.

Polish, Swedish, Danish and Russian zones of influence in Latvia and Estonia from the 1500s to the 1700s:

liv1561.gif

liv1582.gif

liv1630.gif

liv1721.gif

Tormenable, I am not arguing with you anymore,until I do not see measured the distance between all Slavic languages and Latvian and Lithuanian.
If you will see that Polish is closest to Lithuanian and Latvian and 2nd close is Russian and Bellarussian and you still insist that it was Poles and Russians who influenced Latvian and Lithuanian,than is just lol mode.

Check how many Russians live in Latvia nowadays.

Upper and middle class in Lithuania spoke Polish for centuries.

Lithuanian language in the 1800s was a language of peasants.

Check how many Russians live in Latvia nowadays.

Upper and middle class in Lithuania spoke Polish for centuries.

Lithuanian language in the 1800s was a language of peasants.
Lol,really!
This is why Rurik&co were mostly N1C1 and were Baltic people who moved to Scandinavia and adopted Norse language.
You are living in a dream,together with other lol-mode Slavic speakers who think Slavs were some great warriors.
Go read a little about Samo,all Slavic speakers were conquered by few Turkic Avars ,Samo gave them swords to beat Avars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samo
Now,a race of warriors who do not even know to forge for themselves swords,is not possible.

Learn some history man. What you write is funny.

BTW I wasn't talking about Slavs, but about Poles.

Now,a race of warriors who do not even know to forge for themselves swords

Swords were very expensive and relatively rare weapons during the Dark Ages.

Spears and axes were more widespread and more popular. As well as bows and javelins.

In the 600s the best quality swords in Christian Europe were made by swordmakers from Rhineland.

Not only Slavs but also Scandinavians were buying those swords from smugglers like Samo.

The Frankish Empire tried to prevent the export of their swords to foreign countries.

Below is the list of some of Slavic chieftains in their conquest of the Balkans:

Ardagast, Musocius, Peiragast, Dauritas, Boz, Dabragezas, Kelagast, Chilbudius and others:

http://www.jassa.org/?p=915

I see. I haven't really seen any study done on our mtDNA so far, but I think we sort of are in between just like with y-dna, but lot more diverse. With people I share on 23andme, this is what they have for mtDNA: H, H5a, H7, H9a, H11a, H12, H13a2, J1c, J1c3, J1c2, U5a1a, U4c1, U1a3,, W, W1. I share with another fella that has R0a1a, and I was told that this subclade peaks on Tuscany, Italy.
Thanks for the information; I will try to do some digging around when I get the time.

I will report back on my findings; if I find anything significant.

I see. I haven't really seen any study done on our mtDNA so far, but I think we sort of are in between just like with y-dna, but lot more diverse. With people I share on 23andme, this is what they have for mtDNA: H, H5a, H7, H9a, H11a, H12, H13a2, J1c, J1c3, J1c2, U5a1a, U4c1, U1a3,, W, W1. I share with another fella that has R0a1a, and I was told that this subclade peaks on Tuscany, Italy.
And these are all Albanian people, right? Not of any other ethnicity?

Hmm, I did an amateur (unprofessional) study right now and it seems that most of these mitochondrial subclades that you gave me originated from the Near East. (Caucasus region).

One of them was found at a high frequency in an old Neolithic culture from Ukraine. (Northeast of Albania). Some of them seem to be pre-Italo-Celtic culture. (Northwest of Albania). Which may explain a little bit of Illyrian DNA. (if Albanians' aren't the Illyrians)

It seems like the Albanians may have been a crossroads population of sorts; but are still very homogeneous, since the admixture. How odd. Some Albanians might not like this analysis of mine; but from my own observations of the mtdna that you gave me, these mtdna haplogroups of Albanian women seem to have originated in the East. (pre-Indo-Iranians and pre-Slavic cultures carried these the most.)

Could it be, perhaps...that the pre-Albanians were originally a Caucasian (originating from the Caucasus) Neolithic culture; that migrated into the Balkans? Etruscans were mythologically rumored to have migrated from Anatolia, as reported by the Greeks. Which may explain some of the mutual, although small genetic relations with Italians and Albanians. What is very interesting; is that Anatolian peoples (Turks) as well as Italians and Albanians have a higher than average amount of Y-DNA J2.

I am thinking Albanians, based on this female mtdna; may be related to Thracians or Indo-Iranians or something similar; but there does seem to be the possibility of a small Southern Central European (Illyrian?) contribution.

Maybe Illyrians and Thracians were related to each other? If Y-DNA E-V13 is indigenous to the Balkans ... then that must mean there definitely was a migration of Near Eastern/Caucasian people into the region of Albania at some point.

From my findings; it seems both the Mitochondrial DNA that you gave me; and the Y-DNA in Albanians both seem to have originated from the Near East or Eastern Europe. There was probably a migration of E-V13 men from the Near East in the early Neolithic; and then later a migration of foreign Indo-European peoples from either Eastern Europe, Anatolia or Southern Russia; assimilating during the Bronze Age. (R1b, J2 etc) Both cultures mixed and assimilated. But the original language of the Neolithic (indigenous) peoples was replaced by Indo-European, as I speculated earlier.

I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful enough. I really really need more mtdna subclades and research into this.

Last edited:
From my findings; it seems both the Mitochondrial DNA that you gave me; and the Y-DNA in Albanians both seem to have originated from the Near East or Eastern Europe. There was probably a migration of E-V13 men from the Near East in the early Neolithic; and then later a migration of foreign Indo-European peoples from either Eastern Europe, Anatolia or Southern Russia; assimilating during the Bronze Age. (R1b, J2 etc) Both cultures mixed and assimilated. But the original language of the Neolithic (indigenous) peoples was replaced by Indo-European, as I speculated earlier.

Dr. Marika Butskhrihidze (2013) find similarities between Armenian and Albanian. She is not the only one, yet in 1906 H. Pederson noted closeness these languages, after him Pisani (1950), Kortlandt (1980) and other authors.

Butskhrihidze notes:

"I can at least tell you about remarkable similarities,I found between Albanian and Armenian. This is how it all started."

"What I was not expecting though is to find myself bursting aloud every 5 minutes “yes,the same word in Albanian has similar meaning!” At the end of the very first class,I have noticed I really annoyed Prof. Russell.He quietly uttered though: “yes,there are similarities between Armenian and Albanian”, without adding any extra comment."

According to Butskhrihidze:

"Many lexical correspondences are scattered in various papers and etymological dictionaries...
There are many more lexical correspondences awaiting further in - depth analysis."

My opinion that Albanian language has its origin in the Caucasus. Basically, probably it is the language R1b-ht35 carriers - Armenian haplotype.

Of course, E-V13 carriers had own language, and that language was probably Afro-Asiatic.

Somewhere (Caucasus, South Russia, Ukraine, Moldavia, East Romania) R1b-ht35 Armenian and E-V13 carriers are connected.

It is interesting, today in Albanian can still be found Afro-Asiatic words. That was the reason why some researchers have sought a connection between the Albanian and the Egyptian (Coptic) and other Afro-Asiatic languages.

But probably language of R1b-ht35 carriers became dominant, and Afro-Asiatic words remained to a lesser degree.

Of course, later, this language was under the influence of Dacian, Romanian (East Latin), Russian and other Slavic languages. And other carriers of haplogroups entered in population.

In Albanian there are few Greek words, as ancestors of Albanians, who probably lived from southern Russia to the east Romania, could come into contact only with Greek colonists in the north and east Black sea, but not with the Balkan Greeks.

There are more interesting things in Albanian. For example, there is a similarity in the accent some Albanian and Russian words. Earlier I wondered why the Albanian and Russian sometimes sounding similar.

Ancestors of Albanians were able to have contacts with Dacians and Thracian tribes around some areas near to Black sea. But much less likely with the Thracians deeper in the Balkans, and not to Illyirians.

Illyrian is CENTUM.

Albanian is SATEM (as Armenian, Russian, Dacian etc.). Latin in Albanian came from Romanian, in the east, not Latin directly from the west.

Because ancestors of Albanians probably lived somewhere between South Russia and East Romania, it is logical that Albanian has no similarity with Illyrian.

But it it has closeness with Armenian, and (later impacts) Dacian, Romanian (Latin), Slavic, etc. In Albanian there are Afro-Asiatic words (probably from original language of E-V13 carriers) etc.

Why is this important to say in the topic about I2a-Din and Balkans. Because, Balkan peoples are significantly I2a carriers,

Geg Albanians have at least I2a haplogroup in the Balkans (much less than the Greeks, not to speak of Romanians, Serbs, Bosniacs, Croats, etc...).

Illyrians and Thracians (and Dacian, of course) probably were significantly I2a carriers and today Balkan population largely comes from them, and much less from Goths, Celts, Slavs etc. although they are certainly contributed.

For me the most interesting question is which was the original I2a and earlier I language. First Balkan language, the language of hunters-gatherers was language of I carriers. Where we can search the language? My opinion is maybe in Sardinia (Nuragic?), or even Iberia. I'd like to hear any idea, it's probably not easy and carries speculation but to try.

And these are all Albanian people, right? Not of any other ethnicity?

Hmm, I did an amateur (unprofessional) study right now and it seems that most of these mitochondrial subclades that you gave me originated from the Near East. (Caucasus region).

One of them was found at a high frequency in an old Neolithic culture from Ukraine. (Northeast of Albania). Some of them seem to be pre-Italo-Celtic culture. (Northwest of Albania). Which may explain a little bit of Illyrian DNA. (if Albanians' aren't the Illyrians)

It seems like the Albanians may have been a crossroads population of sorts; but are still very homogeneous, since the admixture. How odd. Some Albanians might not like this analysis of mine; but from my own observations of the mtdna that you gave me, these mtdna haplogroups of Albanian women seem to have originated in the East. (pre-Indo-Iranians and pre-Slavic cultures carried these the most.)

Could it be, perhaps...that the pre-Albanians were originally a Caucasian (originating from the Caucasus) Neolithic culture; that migrated into the Balkans? Etruscans were mythologically rumored to have migrated from Anatolia, as reported by the Greeks. Which may explain some of the mutual, although small genetic relations with Italians and Albanians. What is very interesting; is that Anatolian peoples (Turks) as well as Italians and Albanians have a higher than average amount of Y-DNA J2.

I am thinking Albanians, based on this female mtdna; may be related to Thracians or Indo-Iranians or something similar; but there does seem to be the possibility of a small Southern Central European (Illyrian?) contribution.

Maybe Illyrians and Thracians were related to each other? If Y-DNA E-V13 is indigenous to the Balkans ... then that must mean there definitely was a migration of Near Eastern/Caucasian people into the region of Albania at some point.

I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful enough. I really really need more mtdna subclades and research into this.
Those are just random samples from people I share on 23andme, so we don't know how common they are, and I agree that in order to pull out a theory and get a clear picture, one needs to really have an extensive project on all regions where Albanians inhabit. Anyway, most of those mtDNA are also common in the rest of Europe, so nothing really particular or distinct to Albanians, except maybe few.

Also, this is just my two cents, I don't think mtDNA is of much use on determining our backgrounds. Y-dna in other hand is much more useful when one considers our traditions; marriages are not allowed within the Clan no matter how far the generation goes, and also within villages, even if the village is composed of different Clans; they swore brotherhoods, and such bonds also restricted marriages. So this of course obligated Clans to seek for their brides as far as possible from their territories they controlled, and there were cases when young man wondered very far, as far as Black Sea, to steal brides when there were in war with other Clans. Kelmendi were recorded to have gone that far for such a purpose when they were in war with all other North Albanians Clans, hence why I mentioned that we probably are lot more diverse on mtDNA.

Dr. Marika Butskhrihidze (2013) find similarities between Armenian and Albanian. She is not the only one, yet in 1906 H. Pederson noted closeness these languages, after him Pisani (1950), Kortlandt (1980) and other authors.

Butskhrihidze notes:

"I can at least tell you about remarkable similarities,I found between Albanian and Armenian. This is how it all started."

"What I was not expecting though is to find myself bursting aloud every 5 minutes “yes,the same word in Albanian has similar meaning!” At the end of the very first class,I have noticed I really annoyed Prof. Russell.He quietly uttered though: “yes,there are similarities between Armenian and Albanian”, without adding any extra comment."

According to Butskhrihidze:

"Many lexical correspondences are scattered in various papers and etymological dictionaries...
There are many more lexical correspondences awaiting further in - depth analysis."

My opinion that Albanian language has its origin in the Caucasus. Basically, probably it is the language R1b-ht35 carriers - Armenian haplotype.

Of course, E-V13 carriers had own language, and that language was probably Afro-Asiatic.

Somewhere (Caucasus, South Russia, Ukraine, Moldavia, East Romania) R1b-ht35 Armenian and E-V13 carriers are connected.

It is interesting, today in Albanian can still be found Afro-Asiatic words. That was the reason why some researchers have sought a connection between the Albanian and the Egyptian (Coptic) and other Afro-Asiatic languages.

But probably language of R1b-ht35 carriers became dominant, and Afro-Asiatic words remained to a lesser degree.

Of course, later, this language was under the influence of Dacian, Romanian (East Latin), Russian and other Slavic languages. And other carriers of haplogroups entered in population.

In Albanian there are few Greek words, as ancestors of Albanians, who probably lived from southern Russia to the east Romania, could come into contact only with Greek colonists in the north and east Black sea, but not with the Balkan Greeks.

There are more interesting things in Albanian. For example, there is a similarity in the accent some Albanian and Russian words. Earlier I wondered why the Albanian and Russian sometimes sounding similar.

Ancestors of Albanians were able to have contacts with Dacians and Thracian tribes around some areas near to Black sea. But much less likely with the Thracians deeper in the Balkans, and not to Illyirians.

Illyrian is CENTUM.

Albanian is SATEM (as Armenian, Russian, Dacian etc.). Latin in Albanian came from Romanian, in the east, not Latin directly from the west.

Because ancestors of Albanians probably lived somewhere between South Russia and East Romania, it is logical that Albanian has no similarity with Illyrian.

But it it has closeness with Armenian, and (later impacts) Dacian, Romanian (Latin), Slavic, etc. In Albanian there are Afro-Asiatic words (probably from original language of E-V13 carriers) etc.

Why is this important to say in the topic about I2a-Din and Balkans. Because, Balkan peoples are significantly I2a carriers,

Geg Albanians have at least I2a haplogroup in the Balkans (much less than the Greeks, not to speak of Romanians, Serbs, Bosniacs, Croats, etc...).

Illyrians and Thracians (and Dacian, of course) probably were significantly I2a carriers and today Balkan population largely comes from them, and much less from Goths, Celts, Slavs etc. although they are certainly contributed.

For me the most interesting question is which was the original I2a and earlier I language. First Balkan language, the language of hunters-gatherers was language of I carriers. Where we can search the language? My opinion is maybe in Sardinia (Nuragic?), or even Iberia. I'd like to hear any idea, it's probably not easy and carries speculation but to try.
What are you blabbering about, idiot? Hard to make sense of your inconsistent post. Armenian is Indo-European language that migrated along with Phrygian to its current position from the Balkans. As for R1b, have you ever heard of the "Balkan cluster"? You should look into it because it is also linked with this migration:

Latin influence is separated in stages, dimwit, that entered Albanian even as early as before christ. There are no Afro-Asiatic words on Albanians language that any serious linguist has mentioned, except some words that entered Albanian during Ottoman Empire, which actually are more numerous in Serbian than any other language in the Balkans. Albanians have mostly y-dna of the older Balkan population, which makes sense when one considers our history, while the I2a is very young subclade and shouldn't be associated with the older population of the peninsula.

Last edited:
P. Heather, "Empires and Barbarians", in chapter 5. "Huns on the Run" claims that in 488 AD ca. 100,000 Goths settled in Italy.This contradicts the claim that Goths didn't settle there.

There should be a genetic trace of that migration as 100 thousand people = ca. 2% of the population of Italy at that time.
It matches modern day concentration of I2 in Italy (3 percent) very good. In northern Italy it rises to 10 percent in Trento, which makes sense since Goths settled mostly in northern Italy, with just few garissons in south.
I know that Slavs sometimes penetrated into Apennines and raided, but they did not really settle there, and left almost no genetic traces.

Last edited:
What are you blabbering about, idiot?

I will not say that you are idiot.
You do not have to agree of course but should listen to other opinions, not just what you've designed.
And the science is advancing every day.

A lot of researchers, Pederson, Pisani, Kortlandt, Martrosyan, Butskrihidze etc. found closeness between Armenian and Albanian (unlike non-existent connecton between Illyrian and Albanian because one language is CENTUM and second is SATEM).

What is interesting, Armenian researchers recognized particular relationship between the pre-Albanian and the pre-Armenian. But Albanians deny it, they still trying to find a connection with the Illyrian as a futile effort because this relationship does not exist.

Someone can imagine swept period of time, movements from Caucasus and Anatolia, so many changes over the centuries, including modern language reforms. And yet he or she still can be able to catch some similar roots of words these two languages.

Old Armenian and Geg Albanian are better for comparisons. But here are examples some similar words in modern Armenian and Albanian:

իմ im (Arm.) im (Alb.)
դուռ durr (Arm.) derë (Alb.)
անուրջ anurj (Arm.) ëndër (Alb.) anerr (Geg Alb.)
մորուք moruk’ (Arm.) mjekër (Alb.)
միս mis (Arm.) mish (Alb.)
նորահարս norahars (Arm.) nuse (Alb.)
սխտոր skhtor (Arm.) hudhër (Alb.) (root: htr, hdhr)
ջերմ jerm (Arm.) zjarrmi (Alb.)
արջ arj (Arm.) ari (Alb.)
աղբյուր aghbyur (Arm.) burim (Alb.)
եվ jev (Arm.) dhe (Alb.)
ջուր jur (Arm.) ujëra (Alb.)
ատամ atam (Arm.) dhëmb (Alb.) (root: tm, dhm)
մեգ meg (Arm.) mjegull (Alb.)

Sorry, this is not Illyrian, this is Armenian, modern Armenian.

And we should get back to the topic about haplogroup I. I said, for me it is interesting theme where someone can search vanished I languages, if I have time I will open thread about that.

I will not say that you are idiot.
You do not have to agree of course but should listen to other opinions, not just what you've designed.
And the science is advancing every day.

A lot of researchers, Pederson, Pisani, Kortlandt, Martrosyan, Butskrihidze etc. found closeness between Armenian and Albanian (unlike non-existent connecton between Illyrian and Albanian because one language is CENTUM and second is SATEM).

What is interesting, Armenian researchers recognized particular relationship between the pre-Albanian and the pre-Armenian. But Albanians deny it, they still trying to find a connection with the Illyrian as a futile effort because this relationship does not exist.

Someone can imagine swept period of time, movements from Caucasus and Anatolia, so many changes over the centuries, including modern language reforms. And yet he or she still can be able to catch some similar roots of words these two languages.

Old Armenian and Geg Albanian are better for comparisons. But here are examples some similar words in modern Armenian and Albanian:

իմ im (Arm.) im (Alb.)
դուռ durr (Arm.) derë (Alb.)
անուրջ anurj (Arm.) ëndër (Alb.) anerr (Geg Alb.)
մորուք moruk’ (Arm.) mjekër (Alb.)
միս mis (Arm.) mish (Alb.)
նորահարս norahars (Arm.) nuse (Alb.)
սխտոր skhtor (Arm.) hudhër (Alb.) (root: htr, hdhr)
ջերմ jerm (Arm.) zjarrmi (Alb.)
արջ arj (Arm.) ari (Alb.)
աղբյուր aghbyur (Arm.) burim (Alb.)
եվ jev (Arm.) dhe (Alb.)
ջուր jur (Arm.) ujëra (Alb.)
ատամ atam (Arm.) dhëmb (Alb.) (root: tm, dhm)
մեգ meg (Arm.) mjegull (Alb.)

Sorry, this is not Illyrian, this is Armenian, modern Armenian.

And we should get back to the topic about haplogroup I. I said, for me it is interesting theme where someone can search vanished I languages, if I have time I will open thread about that.
There are no Illyrian texts that have sufficed thus far...Since you seem to know more then us, can you please show us these Illyrian text so we too can understand that Albanian is not derived from it? Also, did you watch the video I linked? Please do, here I will link it again:

Also, since you are playing "the linguist" do show the sources of the study that confirm the similarities of the Gheg words with old Armenian you have provided.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 1061800 times.

Back