How did I2a-Din get to the Balkans?

How did I2a-Din get to the Balkans?

• Total voters
Lol point us to this "study"

Do not underestimate the serious scientists who publish in reputable scientific international journals. Science progresses and empty platitudes mean nothing. I told I will set new thread, it is not for this thread.

Where have I suggested that I2a is Illyrian, or are you just bored and felt the need to quote me? "even the name Illyrian, with anything to do with Albanians is a major error" go tell that to countless serious linguists and historians, my amateur friend.

You silly person, the epicentre of Illyrians tribes are in Croatia and Bosnia and NOT in the south of Albania or the North of Austria

The illyrian revolt of 9BC against Rome was in the epicentre

Lol,what I2-din has to do with Illyrians?
Already wrote here,I2-din North highest concentration (and I think highest diversity) is in North Moldavia,in Romania.
As for I2-din South highest concentration is in Bosnia.
I know that in Neamt county from Romania there is about 40% I2-din.
If it proves that in Neamt county is highest concentration of I2-din from Romania and already knowing that this I2-din is I2-din North and taking the name of the place,Neamt = German I think it becomes clear from where I2-din North came,from some Germanic people.
Already written is quite unlikely that this I2-din would have come with Slavs,because both I2-din branches have maximum in mountains.
And I do not think is linked with Goths either,since Goths were not mountain loving people,but to some mountain Germans.
People who likes mountains and are Germanic speakers are usually West Germanic speakers.

I don't think the Slavs are responsible for bringing I2a-Din to the Balkans...

1. What if the Serbs and Croats picked up I2a-Din somewhere on their way, say around the Morava in SW Slovakia / Eastern Austria (which, as I have understood, seems to be another diversity hotspot)? Well, first of all, this would leave the question how I2a-Din made it almost to the Balkans without the Slavs, but required them to finally arrive there. I believe the grass isn't any less green on the southern bank of the Danube than on the northern shore, and the advance of the Huns would have provided for enough good reason to move on a bit further south, even for those that previously didn't think living in the Roman Empire might be attractive.. Secondly, the advancing Slavs must have picked up quite a lot of I2a-Din on their way to bring forward the frequencies observed today.
  2. Most importantly, however, if I2a-Din was already present around the Morava (March - the Austro-Slovakian, not the one in today's Serbia), you don't need the Slavs to explain I2a-Din presence on the Balkans. I find it strange that on 23 pages so far nobody has yet been discussing the Heruli: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heruli

An interesting point! How did I miss this contribution?

Perhaps a coincidence, but my family (Slovak) for as long as my family tree goes, are from the border region along the River Morava (Gajary)... and they are all Z16971 positive (A815 negative).

FrankN,

If you associate I2a-Din with the Heruli, show me why there is no I2a-Din in Scandinavia:

"(...) According to Procopius, many Heruli migrated back to Scandinavia and settled beside the North Germanic Geats (Gautoi). The places where they are assumed to have resettled have been identified with Värmland or the provinces of Blekinge and Värend, two districts where women had equal rights of inheritance with their brothers. Some noble Swedish families in the area claim to be descendants of the returning Heruli. Such identifications are not widely accepted. It has been suggested that it was Heruli who first colonized Iceland[3] or were assimilated among the people of Uppland initiating the drastic changes there in the 6th century.[4] (...)"

Large part of the Heruli migrated to Scandinavia - and why didn't they bring I2a-Din there?

Lol,what I2-din has to do with Illyrians?
Already wrote here,I2-din North highest concentration (and I think highest diversity) is in North Moldavia,in Romania.
As for I2-din South highest concentration is in Bosnia.
I know that in Neamt county from Romania there is about 40% I2-din.
If it proves that in Neamt county is highest concentration of I2-din from Romania and already knowing that this I2-din is I2-din North and taking the name of the place,Neamt = German I think it becomes clear from where I2-din North came,from some Germanic people.
Already written is quite unlikely that this I2-din would have come with Slavs,because both I2-din branches have maximum in mountains.
And I do not think is linked with Goths either,since Goths were not mountain loving people,but to some mountain Germans.
People who likes mountains and are Germanic speakers are usually West Germanic speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piatra_Neamț

The Neamț citadel, whose documentary attestation dates back to February 2, 1395, was also erected during the same consolidation period of the Moldovian pricipate east of the Carpathians. The Princely Court of Piatra Neamț is mentioned for the first time in a document dated April 20, 1491, to have been founded between 1468 and 1475, under Stephen the Great, the Princely Cathedral being built in 1497-1498, and the 20 m (65.62 ft) tall Bell Tower in 1499.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova
Due to its strategic location on a route between Asia and Europe, the territory of modern Moldova was invaded many times in late antiquity and early Middle Ages, including by Goths, Huns, Avars, Bulgarians, Magyars, Pechenegs, Cumans, Mongols and Tatars.The Principality of Moldavia, established in 1359, was bounded by the Carpathian Mountains in the west, Dniester river in the east, and Danube River and Black Sea to the south. Its territory comprised the present-day territory of the Republic of Moldova, the eastern eight of the 41 counties of Romania, and the Chernivtsi Oblast and Budjak region of Ukraine. Like the present-day republic and Romania's north-eastern region, it was known to the locals as Moldova. Moldavia was invaded repeatedly by Crimean Tatars and, since the 15th century, by the Turks. In 1538, the principality became a tributary to the Ottoman Empire, but it retained internal and partial external autonomy.[

Ancestors of Bosniaks, Herzegovinians, Montenegrins, Serbs and Croats are coming from White Croatia as Croats who later divided on these so-called nations....

Why this respectable forum tolerate this chauvinistic idiot?

Doku
Someone can thinks that more times repeated construction (untruth) can become true. But no.

Nations are not biological entities, nations are social constructions.

This applies of course and for the Balkans, as for world generally.

State boundaries have changed over times.

In this map is Serbia 1282-1321 (orange is Bosnia, green is Hungary, yellow is Bulgaria, and in the lower part of map in lilac colour is Byzantine).

18.jpg

What this map tell us?

Where are Serbia and Bosnia in this map there is today the largest concentration of I2a1b2a1a3A356/Z16983.

Of course borders have changed

In that time Serbs were Orthodox and Roman Catholic, and Bosnians had religious pluralism, Bosnian church has dominated that considered as heretical by both the Roman Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox hierarchies.

Serbia had significantly strengthened and expanded its territory, but later, after the Battle of Kosovo in 1389 we all know what happened with the arrival of the Turks, where the Serbian medieval state destroyed.

It took many centuries to change things.

In the meantime there has been a significant change in religious population these areas.

Orthodox church in these areas (and in these areas carriers of haplogroup I2a1b2a1a3A356/Z16983 are dominated) was losing believers, orthodox Serbs converted to other religions.

In XIX century a lot of these areas came under rule of Austria Hungary.

This century is century of creating and integrating modern nations.

In these areas dominant factor for creating nations was religious.

Believers of Eastern Orthodox were Serbs, believers of Islam were Bosniacs. It is interesting there were Serbian and Bosnian Roman Catholic but over time they became Croats with creating a modern Croat nation.

So many carriers of haplogroup I2a1b2a1a3 A356/16983, Serbs and Bosnias, became Croats, not by origin, but by faith.

And it is normal, nation is not biological but social construction.

For integrating in modern nation Croats had big problem. One part of Croats had kajkavian language or dialect. This language is close to Slovenian.

From Wikipedia:
The Kajkavian dialect /kˈkviən/ (Kajkavian noun: kajkavščina; Shtokavian adjective: kajkavski [kǎjkaʋskiː],[2] noun: kajkavica or kajkavština [kajkǎːʋʃtina])[3] is a dialect of the Serbo-Croatian language spoken by Croats in Central Croatia,[4] Gorski Kotar[5] and northern Istria.[note 1][6][7] It has low mutual intelligibility with the Shtokavian dialect upon which Croatia's standard language is based.[8][9] Some notable linguists consider Kajkavian to be a language of its own.[10] As of 2015, Literary Kajkavian has a separate language ISO 639-3 code – kjv. Active attempts are being made by some organizations to widen its recognition and status, which has thus far included introduction of school subjects in Kajkavian in some parts of Croatia as well as the creation of the aforementioned ISO code.[11]

The term Kajkavian stems from the interrogative pronoun kaj (what). The other main dialects of Serbo-Croatian also derive their name from their reflex of the interrogative pronoun.[12][13] However, the pronouns are only general pointers and do not serve as actual identifiers of the respective dialects. Certain Kajkavian dialects use the interrogative pronoun ča, the one that is usually used in the Chakavian dialect. The pronouns these dialects are named after are merely the most common one in that dialect.

Outside of Croatia, the dialect is also spoken in Austrian Burgenland and a number of enclaves in Hungary (along the Austrian and Croatian border), and Romania.[14] Although speakers of Kajkavian are Croats, and Kajkavian is as such also considered a dialect of Serbo-Croatian, its closest relative is the Slovene language, followed by Chakavian and then Shtokavian. Kajkavian is part of a dialect continuum with both Slovene and Chakavian.[15]

Another part of Croatian spoked Chakavian language or dialect.

From Wikipedia:
Chakavian or Čakavian /ˈkviən/ (Serbo-Croatian: čakavski [tʃǎːkaʋskiː],[2] proper name: čakavica or čakavština [tʃakǎːʋʃtina],[3] own name: čokovski, čakavski, čekavski) is a dialect of the Serbo-Croatian language spoken by a minority of Croats. It has low mutual intelligibility with the Shtokavian dialect.[4] There is much internal diversity, to the point where intelligibility between the northern and southern varieties of Chakavian is low.[4] All three main Serbo-Croatian dialects are named after their word for "what?", which in Čakavian is ča or ca. Chakavian is spoken mainly in the northeastern Adriatic: in Istria, Kvarner Gulf, in most Adriatic islands, and in the interior valley of Gacka, more sporadically in the Dalmatian littoral and central Croatia.
Chakavian was the basis for the first literary standard of the Croats. Today, it is spoken almost entirely within Croatia's borders, apart from the Burgenland Croats in Austria and Hungary and a few villages in Slovenia.

But Croats have adopted the Shtokavian dialect, spoken in today's Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montengro and in parts of todays Croatia.

Shtokavian
or Štokavian (/ʃtɒˈkviən/; Serbo-Croatian: štokavski / штокавски, pronounced [ʃtǒːkaʋskiː])[2] is the prestige dialect of the pluricentric Serbo-Croatian language, and the basis of its Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, and Montenegrin standards.[3] It is a part of the South Slavic dialect continuum.[4][5] Its name comes from the form for the interrogatory pronoun for "what" in Western Shtokavian, što (it is šta in Eastern Shtokavian). This is in contrast to the Kajkavian and Chakavian dialects (kaj and ča also meaning "what").

Croatian_dialects.PNG

In the picture is territorial display these languages/dialects in today's Croatia.

Knowledge of haplogroups reveals interesting picture.

Kajkavian language/dialect is quite coincide with haplogroup R1a ecpacially M458:

Haplogroup-R1a.gif

Haplogroup-R1a-M458.png

On the other hand shtokavian language/dialect is quite coincide with haplogroup I2a Dyn S, I2a1b2a1a3A356/Z16983.

Haplogroup_I2a.gif

And the conclusion can be drawn, those who speak a dialect of the Shtokavian language/dialect (Serbs, Bosnians, Herzegovinians, Montenegrins, and some parts of Croatia) are the real I2a1b2a1a3A356/Z16983 carriers.

If I2a Dyn S Gothic? I don't believe, and I wrote about it (but who knows).

Here I will say about big irony of nationalists.

Some Serbian nationalists thought that Serbs are mostly R1a, but no. Serbs are mostly Old European and Balcanic.

Some Croat nationalists thought that Croats are German, but no. Kajkavian Croats are mostly R1a (mostly M458 closest to Chzecs).

Here the same data (plus "other" subclades):

A very interesting correlation can be seen (with only a few exceptions):

[WeS] - West Slavs
[EaS] - East Slavs
[SoS] - South Slavs

And this correlation (there are a few exceptions, as you can see below) is as follows:

West Slavs = more of M458
East Slavs = more of Z282
South Slavs = more of M558

Group (Z282 / M458 / M558 / other - as % of total R1a):

[WeS] Czechs----------------------------(10,1 / 79,8 / 10,1 / 0,0)
[WeS] Czechs Utah----------------------(0,0 / 70,0 / 19,9 / 10,1)
[SoS] Croatia mainland------------------(16,0 / 68,0 / 16,0 / 0,0)
[EaS] Ukrainians Cherkassy-------------(22,4 / 53,1 / 24,5 / 0,0)
[WeS] Poland----------------------------(4,0 / 58,0 / 38,0 / 0,0)
[WeS] Slovakia--------------------------(4,1 / 46,2 / 48,0 / 1,7)
[SoS] Bulgaria---------------------------(10,8 / 42,0 / 40,4 / 6,8)
[WeS] Poles Wroclaw-------------------(17,6 / 43,2 / 39,2 / 0,0)
[EaS] Ukrainians Ivano-Frank.----------(8,1 / 40,0 / 51,9 / 0,0)
[EaS] Belarusians Brest-Lit.-------------(15,8 / 38,6 / 45,6 / 0,0)
[EaS] Russians Kostroma---------------(18,9 / 37,4 / 43,7 / 0,0)
[EaS] Ukrainians Donetsk---------------(30,4 / 30,4 / 37,0 / 2,2)
[EaS] Russians Pskov-------------------(37,1 / 25,8 / 35,5 / 1,6)
[EaS] Belarusians------------------------(38,4 / 23,2 / 38,4 / 0,0)
[EaS] Ukrainians Belgorod--------------(49,9 / 11,6 / 38,5 / 0,0)
[EaS] Ukrainians Khmilnyk--------------(39,4 / 15,7 / 44,9 / 0,0)
[EaS] Russians Belgorod----------------(25,9 / 18,8 / 55,3 / 0,0)
[EaS] Russians Oryol--------------------(25,0 / 23,6 / 51,4 / 0,0)
[SoS] Serbia------------------------------(17,9 / 23,2 / 47,0 / 11,9)
[SoS] Macedonia-------------------------(18,0 / 27,3 / 54,7 / 0,0)
[SoS] Bosnia-----------------------------(19,8 / 19,8 / 60,4 / 0,0)
[SoS] Slovenia---------------------------(0,0 / 10,7 / 83,9 / 5,4)
[SoS] Herzegovina-----------------------(6,2 / 6,2 / 87,6 / 0,0)

BTW - resemblance between Czechs and mainland Croats is striking. As if they were one group that split in two.

According R1a people Serbia, Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina are closest (again people who speak shtokavian).

What if I2a Dyn S is Ghotic?

It means that shtokavian people Serbs and Bosniacs are descedents of Goths, it is logic.

Well,I have remembered that after Roman Empire conquered Dacia it brought colonists from Austria and Gaul,in conquered land.
So if there is also I2-din found in Austria,maybe those colonists brought were carrying I2-din?
The land of Dacia was also including today Serbia and Montenegro.

the Mongol invasion.They changed the ethnic makeup of Eastern Europe.

They did not:

East-Asian-admixture.gif

On the other hand, Slavic migrations did:

From "The Geography of Recent Genetic Ancestry across Europe":

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555

"(...) There is also substantial regional variation in the number of shared genetic ancestors. For example, there are especially high numbers of common ancestors shared between many eastern populations that date roughly to the migration period (which includes the Slavic expansion into that region). (...)

(...) We quantify this ubiquitous recent common ancestry, showing for instance that even pairs of individuals from opposite ends of Europe share hundreds of genetic common ancestors over this time period. Despite this degree of commonality, there are also striking regional differences. Southeastern Europeans, for example, share large numbers of common ancestors that date roughly to the era of the Slavic expansion around 1,500 years ago. (...)"

The easiest and best explanation is that I2a-Din expanded with Slavic migrations.

Slavs originally lived in Ukrainian-Belarusian borderland, let's check the distribution of I2a-Din:

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/maps_Y-DNA_haplogroups.shtml

Haplogroup_I2a.gif

The distribution of I2a-Din fits to the patterns of Early Medieval Slavic expansion and migrations:

Slavic_expansion.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=120&v=vboRLQoQTj4

===================================

The distribution of Slavs after the end of their 1st expansion (the 2nd expansion was later into Siberia and the steppes):

Slavic_lands_850.png

Slavic_expansion_2.png

This map below shows areas with Finno-Ugric (red colour) and Baltic settlement in the mid-to-late 800s. Some of these areas were regions with mixed Slavic-Baltic, Slavic-Finnic, etc. settlement, rather than fully Baltic and fully Finnic regions (compare with the map above, showing the extent of Slavic settlement in ca. year 850 - area with big red dots is "controversial", either still purely Finnic / Baltic in the mid-800s, or already mixed with Slavic settlement):

900.jpg

Settlement areas of Finno-Ugrians and Balts were gradually shrinking under the pressure of expanding Slavs:

Expansion.png

The reduction of the size of Baltic territory by expanding Slavs until years ca. 1000 - 1100:

Baltic_tribes.png

Nowadays only remnants of Finno-Ugrian and Baltic populations survive.

The proportions of main ethno-linguistic groups in Europe:

Countries_Europe.png

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta...yptian-hercules/barbarian-invasion-of-europe/

Migrations would continue well beyond AD 1000, successive waves of Slavs, Avars, Bulgars, Hungarians, the Turkic expansion and finally the Mongol invasions, radically changing the ethnic makeup of Eastern Europe.

After the changes of the immediate post-Soviet years, twenty-one nationality-based republics existed in the Russian Federation and were recognized in the constitution of 1993 (see table 10, Appendix). They are Adygea, Bashkortostan, Buryatia, Chechnya, Chuvashia, Dagestan, Gorno-Altay, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Kalmykia, Karachayevo-Cherkessia, Karelia, Khakassia, Komi, Mari El, Mordovia, North Ossetia, Sakha (Yakutia), Tatarstan, Tyva (Tuva), and Udmurtia.
http://countrystudies.us/russia/34.htm

The terms “ethnicity” and “nationality,” like most terms used in present-day social analysis, are inventions of modern times. In studying the Eastern Slavs, nineteenth-century linguists and ethnologists identified three major ethnic groups or, in their terminology, nationalities: Great Russian, Little Russian (Ukrainian), and Belarusian. But they also admitted major linguistic and cultural differences within those nationalities, and often the lack of clearly defined borders between them. The conclusion that emerges from an examination of the linguistic and ethnographic material is quite simple. The ethnic classifications themselves were the result of outside interference – in other words, they were constructed – while the borders of those ethnicities were created by stressing the differences between nationalities and downplaying the fault lines within them.
http://www.cambridge.org/asia/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521155113&ss=exc

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
The Mongol invasion in the 13th century set in motion a series of events which are still
evident in'the population of Ukraine today.
https://www.census.gov/population/international/files/sp/SP90.pdf

Avars were small in numbers and they colonized only the Pannonian steppe, the area which is now Hungary.

Bulgars were also small in numbers (according to Angelov 1971, Bulgars under Asparukh numbered 20,000 - 25,000 people).

East Asian admixture is very insignificant in Europe - do you claim that the Mongols were not East Asian ???

Great Russian, Little Russian (Ukrainian), and Belarusian. But they also admitted major linguistic and cultural differences within those nationalities, and often the lack of clearly defined borders between them. The conclusion that emerges from an examination of the linguistic and ethnographic material is quite simple. The ethnic classifications themselves were the result of outside interference – in other words, they were constructed – while the borders of those ethnicities were created by stressing the differences between nationalities and downplaying the fault lines within them.

Ukrainians and Belarusians differentiated from Russians when Poland-Lithuania ruled western part of East Slavic lands.

Belarusians are East Slavs who lived in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania while Ukrainian are East Slavs who lived in Kingdom of Poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPY5x2P3Xs

Check also:

http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/coe21/publish/no7_ses/chapter02.pdf

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is the summary of points made above by Ukrainian historian Yaroslav Hrytsak:

1) Early modern Ukrainian language (so called prosta mova) was closer to Polish than Russian in its vocabulary.

2) Ukraine was little affected by Russian cultural influences. Polish culture dominated until 1850s and extended as far as Kharkiv University.

3) Poland introduced Western European innovations to Ukraine (including German urban law, that had been previously adopted by Poland).

4) Both Ukrainian and Israeli national anthems begin with words "Ukraine / Israel has not yet died" - paraphrases of Polish anthem.

5) Ukrainian historians preferred Polish historical treatises to Russian sources, even when describing history of Kievan Rus.

6) Polish rule was a long-term integration factor for Belarussian and Ukrainian ethnic territories, under Polish rule those people became culturally distinct from Russians.

7) Cossack ethos was based on a Polish concept of homeland. Cossack desires of liberty and autonomy were based on ideas of Polish nobility.

8) The extent of historical Polish eastward political expansion, corresponds to / coincides with the intensity of Ukrainian identity (as distinct from Russian identity) and the spread of Ukrainian language among population.

9) Strongest and most visible until nowadays historical impact of Poland remains especially in Western Ukraine.

BTW:

Migrations would continue well beyond AD 1000

Migrations never stop. There have always been migrations, since prehistory until 2015 AD.

You live in Sweden so you should know that there is currently a massive immigration into Sweden.

The Mongol invasion in the 13th century set in motion a series of events which are still
evident in'the population of Ukraine today.

The Mongol invasion depopulated Central Ukraine, which was later re-colonized by two migration wives.

One from the north-west (from Western Ukraine and Poland) and one from the north-east (from Russian lands).

That's why Ukraine today is such a divided country - eastern regions are pro-Russian, western regions are anti-Russian.

After the changes of the immediate post-Soviet years, twenty-one nationality-based republics existed in the Russian Federation and were recognized in the constitution of 1993 (see table 10, Appendix). They are Adygea, Bashkortostan, Buryatia, Chechnya, Chuvashia, Dagestan, Gorno-Altay, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Kalmykia, Karachayevo-Cherkessia, Karelia, Khakassia, Komi, Mari El, Mordovia, North Ossetia, Sakha (Yakutia), Tatarstan, Tyva (Tuva), and Udmurtia.

And what does it have to do with the Mongols?

Komis, Karelians, Maris, Mordovians, Udmurts are indigenous Finno-Ugric populations, who lived there before Slavic expansions.

Several other of the republics you listed, are inhabited by indigenous populations of the Caucasus.

And most of the rest are inhabited by Turkic peoples, rather than Mongolic.

They have nothing to do with Mongol invasion.

Avars were small in numbers and they colonized only the Pannonian steppe, the area which is now Hungary.

Bulgars were also small in numbers (according to Angelov 1971, Bulgars under Asparukh numbered 20,000 - 25,000 people).

East Asian admixture is very insignificant in Europe - do you claim that the Mongols were not East Asian ???

OK,I understand your agenda.Avars,Bulgars..."were small in numbers",only Slavs were great .

"do you claim that the Mongols..." No.

http://www.protobulgarians.com/English translations/History of the Proto-Bulgarians.pdf

And what does it have to do with the Mongols?

Komis, Karelians, Maris, Mordovians, Udmurts are indigenous Finno-Ugric populations, who lived there before Slavic expansions.

Several other of the republics you listed, are inhabited by indigenous populations of the Caucasus.

And most of the rest are inhabited by Turkic peoples, rather than Mongolic.

They have nothing to do with Mongol invasion.

You don't understand anything, man.

gyms said:
OK,I understand your agenda.Avars,Bulgars..."were small in numbers",only Slavs were great

Nobody speaks Avar language in Europe today. Nobody speaks Proto-Bulgar language in Europe today.

Avars and Proto-Bulgars were nomadic herders - such people are by definition less numerous than farmers. Also ask any archaeologists - they will tell you that evidence of Avar habitation is only in the Pannonian steppe, and evidence of Proto-Bulgar habitation is only around the lower course of the Danube River at the Black Sea coast. Also - read "The Geography of Recent Genetic Ancestry across Europe":

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555

"(...) There is also substantial regional variation in the number of shared genetic ancestors. For example, there are especially high numbers of common ancestors shared between many eastern populations that date roughly to the migration period (which includes the Slavic expansion into that region). (...)

(...) We quantify this ubiquitous recent common ancestry, showing for instance that even pairs of individuals from opposite ends of Europe share hundreds of genetic common ancestors over this time period. Despite this degree of commonality, there are also striking regional differences. Southeastern Europeans, for example, share large numbers of common ancestors that date roughly to the era of the Slavic expansion around 1,500 years ago. (...)"

This thread has been viewed 1061880 times.

Back