Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Post rating

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,722
    Points
    710,925
    Level
    100
    Points: 710,925, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Smile Post rating



    You can now leave a positive or negative rating to any post on the forum (except your own). This will directly affect the user's reputation. The total number of positive and negative evaluations will be displayed in your profile, so be careful about the quality of your posts from now on.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    aimless wanderer Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mzungu mchagga's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-09-10
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    638
    Points
    12,109
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,109, Level: 33
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 6.0%


    Country: Germany



    So this option basically replaces the previous reputation button?

    I think it is a good idea, but with all these new improvements [achievements, experience, post rating] and their buttons all the posts have become a little complicated and confusing now. I am not against it, but I would like to see some of the options at a some kind of more 'modest' place. Like e.g. 'experience' on the user pofile only or the "Did you find this post helpful"-question not that slammed into the post.

  3. #3
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    I can see the old reputation button still there, the star. Although I have few questions.
    1. Is the "reputation points value" the same regardless how reputation is given, either from + in posts or with the star button? For example 20 points with old method and 1 point for clicking the plus.
    2. We know that there are restrictions with giving reputation with star button. Are there any restrictions when clicking + or -?
    3. If there is no restriction, then I envision some angry individuals clicking - (minus) in all posts they can find of a person who they hate. There might be reversed situations too. It might create extra work for admin trying to answer complaints and fix the mess, deleting undeserved negative or positive reputation. If people were rather objective creatures it would work fine, but we are not, mostly.
    Last edited by LeBrok; 09-10-11 at 08:07.

  4. #4
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-11-12
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,383
    Points
    27,727
    Level
    51
    Points: 27,727, Level: 51
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a* (inferred)

    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    3. If there is no restriction, then I envision some angry individuals clicking - (minus) in all posts they can find of a person who they hate. There might be reversed situations too. It might create extra work for admin trying to answer complaints and fix the mess, deleting undeserved negative or positive reputation. If people were rather objective creatures it would work fine, but we are not, mostly.
    Without going into details, I am afraid that think I already see this happening.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Knovas's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-05-11
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,444
    Points
    9,065
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,065, Level: 28
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 4.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    I think the post raiting is not a good idea for some of the reasons already mentioned. Maciamo, consider the possibility to erase the option, I'm afraid this will carry more problems rather than help.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    sparkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-02-11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,270
    Points
    71,186
    Level
    82
    Points: 71,186, Level: 82
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

    Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh
    Country: USA - California



    I may be one of the few to like this new feature, although I also see how it could be abused.

    Is it possible to keep post rating, but to divorce it from reputation? That way we can keep the benefit of seeing how well the community likes certain posts without getting into -rep wars.

  7. #7
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,722
    Points
    710,925
    Level
    100
    Points: 710,925, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Is it possible to keep post rating, but to divorce it from reputation? That way we can keep the benefit of seeing how well the community likes certain posts without getting into -rep wars.
    Yes, it's possible. I will think about it.

  8. #8
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,722
    Points
    710,925
    Level
    100
    Points: 710,925, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    I can see the old reputation button still there, the star. Although I have few questions.
    1. Is the "reputation points value" the same regardless how reputation is given, either from + in posts or with the star button? For example 20 points with old method and 1 point for clicking the plus.
    2. We know that there are restrictions with giving reputation with star button. Are there any restrictions when clicking + or -?
    3. If there is no restriction, then I envision some angry individuals clicking - (minus) in all posts they can find of a person who they hate. There might be reversed situations too. It might create extra work for admin trying to answer complaints and fix the mess, deleting undeserved negative or positive reputation. If people were rather objective creatures it would work fine, but we are not, mostly.
    The reputation given through the +/- button only gives 50% of the reputation given through the star button (I can limit that to 25% or even disable it completely if necessary). The star button should be used for really good (or bad) posts, and has the advantage of giving the possibility to leave a short comment.

    Besides, there is a restriction of 10 post rating per day (also adjustable).

    I can also see who left reputation to anybody. I don't usually check it, but if I suspect some abuses it's easy to confirm my doubts.


    I think I will revise the settings a bit and limit to reputation to 25% through the +/- button, and limit it to 5 posts per day.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Knovas's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-05-11
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,444
    Points
    9,065
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,065, Level: 28
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 4.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1b1a

    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Yes, it's possible. I will think about it.
    That would be enough ;)

Similar Threads

  1. Post a song that you like...
    By Sirius2b in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 07-10-15, 08:46
  2. re:Money and love Post
    By Melusine in forum Site Feedback/Admin Contact
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-04-11, 19:31
  3. Last post
    By Riccardo in forum Site Feedback/Admin Contact
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-03-11, 02:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •