Post rating

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
You can now leave a positive or negative rating to any post on the forum (except your own). This will directly affect the user's reputation. The total number of positive and negative evaluations will be displayed in your profile, so be careful about the quality of your posts from now on.

So this option basically replaces the previous reputation button?

I think it is a good idea, but with all these new improvements [achievements, experience, post rating] and their buttons all the posts have become a little complicated and confusing now. I am not against it, but I would like to see some of the options at a some kind of more 'modest' place. Like e.g. 'experience' on the user pofile only or the "Did you find this post helpful"-question not that slammed into the post.

I can see the old reputation button still there, the star. Although I have few questions.
1. Is the "reputation points value" the same regardless how reputation is given, either from + in posts or with the star button? For example 20 points with old method and 1 point for clicking the plus.
2. We know that there are restrictions with giving reputation with star button. Are there any restrictions when clicking + or -?
3. If there is no restriction, then I envision some angry individuals clicking - (minus) in all posts they can find of a person who they hate. There might be reversed situations too. It might create extra work for admin trying to answer complaints and fix the mess, deleting undeserved negative or positive reputation. If people were rather objective creatures it would work fine, but we are not, mostly.

Last edited:
3. If there is no restriction, then I envision some angry individuals clicking - (minus) in all posts they can find of a person who they hate. There might be reversed situations too. It might create extra work for admin trying to answer complaints and fix the mess, deleting undeserved negative or positive reputation. If people were rather objective creatures it would work fine, but we are not, mostly.

Without going into details, I am afraid that think I already see this happening.

I think the post raiting is not a good idea for some of the reasons already mentioned. Maciamo, consider the possibility to erase the option, I'm afraid this will carry more problems rather than help.

Thanks.

I may be one of the few to like this new feature, although I also see how it could be abused.

Is it possible to keep post rating, but to divorce it from reputation? That way we can keep the benefit of seeing how well the community likes certain posts without getting into -rep wars.

Is it possible to keep post rating, but to divorce it from reputation? That way we can keep the benefit of seeing how well the community likes certain posts without getting into -rep wars.

Yes, it's possible. I will think about it.

I can see the old reputation button still there, the star. Although I have few questions.
1. Is the "reputation points value" the same regardless how reputation is given, either from + in posts or with the star button? For example 20 points with old method and 1 point for clicking the plus.
2. We know that there are restrictions with giving reputation with star button. Are there any restrictions when clicking + or -?

The reputation given through the +/- button only gives 50% of the reputation given through the star button (I can limit that to 25% or even disable it completely if necessary). The star button should be used for really good (or bad) posts, and has the advantage of giving the possibility to leave a short comment.

Besides, there is a restriction of 10 post rating per day (also adjustable).

I can also see who left reputation to anybody. I don't usually check it, but if I suspect some abuses it's easy to confirm my doubts.

I think I will revise the settings a bit and limit to reputation to 25% through the +/- button, and limit it to 5 posts per day.

This thread has been viewed 8563 times.

Back